The Avengers (may contain spoilers!)

Man, I read the title and thought this was about the real Avengers (John Steed and Emma Peel, She's the only one I've ever seen due to Channel 9's constant repeats), and thought they were going to do a proper movie based on it.

But, a movie with Iron Man, Captain America and a God with a big hammer fighting the Hulk would be pretty good as well I suppose.

haha wow I thought I was the only person that watched that! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

William Hurt, who played General Ross in The Incredible Hulk, says he'd be happy to come back and play Ross again ? and of course, his last scene involved Tony Stark approaching him about the Avengers Initiative. [Cinematical]

Marvel has said that Don Cheadle is signed for this film already, but he has no idea if he'll be in it or not. "There isn't even a script yet," he says. [IGN]

Too good to be true. If they can convince Norton to return, then I'm going to squeal with fanboy delight :laugh:

That would rock, I really enjoyed Norton in that role.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Everyone wants to know about ?The Avengers? now that it?s been announced. Jon Favreau is producing but who is the director?

They're still unclear at this time, but narrowing it down to candidates. As a fan of the comics, what's exciting to me is finally seeing S.H.I.E.L.D. in action. How they take control of situations, shut things down and maybe even make people disappear. It'll be the first time we see what they really do and their advanced technology like the heli-carrier.

There's also talk of the Hulk being the villain in The Avengers. Perhaps through a misunderstanding by the team or under Loki's influence...

I think in the first Avengers film, the Hulk should be the villain, in a way. There should also be another arc in the story or perhaps a bigger storyline. The Hulk personally is my favorite character in all comics. He?s the guy who represents the inner rage and the animal inside of everyone and I think something?s gotta drive him where he thinks he?s under attack by these guys who are basically just trying to subdue him. It sets up an interesting dynamic.I don?t think the Hulk should be the main villain, but I think he should be a distraction. I think everyone else is in order and he?s the only one who, at a moments notice, can go off. He represents rage in all man.

At the end of The Incredible Hulk Tony Stark has a cameo where he says to Gen. Ross, ?You have a problem.?

Exactly. You need to have the Hulk brought under control. And that?s what they want. ?This guy could be the most powerful being on earth and he should be dealing with us. We don?t want him to fall into enemy hands.? I think if you have something like that where they are trying to wrangle him in and then realize they really do need him. That was basically the story line with the Incredible Hulk. The Hulk was always trying to be subdued, always trying to be controlled. But when the sh*t hit the fan, who would come in to save the day? The Incredible Hulk, one of the most powerful beings on the planet. The problem with that is that he?s unpredictable. You never know what he's going to do. Though they suggested at the end of that film that Bruce Banner had finally mastered control over his transformations and perhaps the monster so that element might work too.

Do you think there?s gonna be another Hulk movie?

I don?t know. I think there should be another Hulk movie because let's face it, Ang Lee's version wasn't the best interpretation. Edward Norton's Hulk was a little more faithful to the material. I wish it had been a little more successful because then it would lock him in. If somewhere down the line they do Planet Hulk which is when the Avengers try to trick him to do this mission, then sedate him and shoot him into space, that might be nice too. He lands on an alien planet, becomes a gladiator and eventually leads a race of warriors back to Earth. That would be nice to see in live action. Seeing him seek revenge on those that betrayed him, Mr. Fantastic, Doctor Strange, Iron Man, and even ripping the roof off Madison Square Garden. Something like that could be huge and I think Hulk deserves a movie like that. But the next time we see him will probably be in The Avengers movie.

What other characters are going to be in The Avengers?

Not entirely sure, but I read like everyone else Joe Quesada from Marvel posting on Twitter that he was printing out the first draft. I think it would have to be Wasp. You have to have Wasp and you have to have Ant Man who are also romantically linked. But Ant Man's own movie doesn't appear to be happening right now. You also need Natasha Romanova who is the Black Widow. Scarlett Johansson plays her in Iron Man 2, so I imagine the plan is the bring her over for that and she'd be perfect. You need Captain America, Thor, Hulk and Iron Man. Then there's Nick Fury sort of guiding them all.

Source

Ugh please don't do the Planet Hulk storyline in a movie. I hated that (and still hate it) damn story.

I agree. Please don't go that route, you guys.

captainamericainhulkth.jpg

a shorter version of above and talking about the image I posted!

The inside source at Marvel who's been feeding info to Latino Review opens up again. Captain America has to be a great fighter, but also the guy who makes order out of chaos and takes charge, and even Iron Man has to follow him. The Captain America movie will almost certainly end with Cap being frozen in a block of ice and then defrosted in the present day, so he can meet the Avengers and get those introductions out of the way. Besides Thor, Cap, Iron Man and the Hulk, the source predicts the Wasp and Ant-Man will be in the Avengers. And he/she says the Hulk may be sort of a villain:

I think in the first Avengers film, the Hulk should be the villain, in a way. There should also be another arc in the story or perhaps a bigger storyline. The Hulk personally is my favorite character in all comics. He's the guy who represents the inner rage and the animal inside of everyone and I think something's gotta drive him where he thinks he's under attack by these guys who are basically just trying to subdue him. It sets up an interesting dynamic. I don't think the Hulk should be the main villain, but I think he should be a distraction. I think everyone else is in order and he's the only one who, at a moments notice, can go off. He represents rage in all man.

[Latino Review]

And meanwhile, Edward Norton once again says he doesn't think a Hulk sequel is likely. Not to be Hulk-inued! [Cinematical]

Too good to be true. If they can convince Norton to return, then I'm going to squeal with fanboy delight :laugh:

norton will return for the right script & paycheck....bank on that! he IS bruce banner!

I will say it again. Portman would have been perfect for Wasp.

yeah shame shes now on Thor and in that time line as someone else.

She may be good as Wasp but Antman is gunna suck so don't lump her in with him.

Yeah I agree. Antman rocks as a (supporting) literary character but I don't think he will transfer well to film. Besides The Avengers film needs more than 1 female member. Add in Scarrlett Johannson's Black Widow or Oliva Munn as Scarlet Witch (I would rather see Felicia Day actually) or maybe Sarah Michelle Geller as Ms Marvel.

My first choice for Wasp was Portman, who is already cast in a small role in Thor (grrr why?). My second choice is probably Ellen Page, who is already Shadowcat. Summer Glau might be my third choice.

Gellar would be nice a Ms. Marvel. She hasn't had a big movie in ages. As for the lovely Summer Glau. While I do like her a lot, I don't see her fitting into these superhero movies very well. Just doesn't look the type based off her previous roles. And yes Rappy, I know you have a passion for the Ant. But c'monnnn! give me a direct to video animated feature film like they've been doing with all the others lately. He doesn't fit in the Marvel universe they've made with Iron Man and soon, Thor/Cappy/Avengers. The logic of a man shrinking down to the size of an Ant is retarded. Thor is already a bit of a stretch but they seem confident they can pull it off without it being too weird.

With all of this Captain America casting news flooding the web, it's nice to see some fresh Marvel Movie news that has the potential to make geeks happy. It's no secret that director Louis Leterrier (The Incredible Hulk) would like to jump back on board with Marvel to direct another film, in fact, he's even expressed his interest in taking The Avengers to the big screen. He recently did a little interview with AICN and revealed that as of right now, that he's definitely in the running.

I am on the shortlist, but I'm at the bottom of the shortlist, I'm sure. I don't know who the other guys are, but I have a great relationship with [Marvel], and I've been very vocal to them and everyone else that I am the one to direct it. I loved my time at Marvel. I loved those guys. They're fantastic. [Marvel Studios President] Kevin [Feige] is such a passionate boss; he gets his hands dirty. It's a universe I want to keep exploring. I was frustrated with ['Incredible Hulk']. It was like, 'That's it? Only one superhero? Can I do more???' We'll see. Time will tell.

He may not know who the other directors on the list are but there's plenty of room to speculate that it will most likely be someone who's worked with Marvel on building up these comic book films. That leaves us with Kenneth Branagh (Thor) and Joe Johnston (Captain America). Jon Favreau already said he would not direct, but would work on it as an executive producer...we'll see, I still think Favreau is in the running.

Source

• 2 weeks later...

Whedon on the Short List for The Avengers?

IESB reported on April 1st that Joss Whedon had joined Louis Leterrier on the short list of directors that Marvel Studios' is looking at for The Avengers. And you know what? The Los Angeles Times got the news confirmed.

"After some checking, insiders at Marvel Studios say no director has been signed yet but that Whedon was on the short-list and conversations took place," they say. Of course there are probably other directors on that list as well, so we'll have to wait and see which way they go.

The Los Angeles Times also learned that Emily Blunt was made an offer but passed on playing Peggy Carter alongside Chris Evans in The First Avenger: Captain America. The other actresses on that short list? Keira Knightley and Alice Eve.

If Joss Whedon gets the director spot does that mean the movie will get canceled halfway through production after poor ratings?

• 2 weeks later...

Whedon To Direct Marvel's 'The Avengers'

I'm told Marvel Studios is in final negotiations for Buffy the Vampire Slayer series architect Joss Whedon to direct Marvel Studios' The Avengers. That's the fast-tracked film that would amount to an all-star team of Marvel superheros, including Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), Captain America (Chris Evans), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), as well as SHIELD leader Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson). Other signature superheros will likely be involved, but I've listed the actors in active superhero duty. Whedon has been rumored for this job for awhile, and is high on the fanboy wish-list. He's an interesting choice: despite his writing/producing TV series resume, his lone feature directing effort, Serenity, was not a hit. After Iron Man 2, Marvel has three pictures left on a distribution deal with Paramount before it moves to Disney, and the studio has been churning them out. Iron Man 2 gets released in May, Captain America will begin shooting this summer in Europe, Thor is in production, and Marvel Studios just set Pete Sollett to direct Runaways, based on the comic book series created by Lost writer Brian K. Vaughan. Whedon has written installments of the latter, so he knows how to make those superheros fly. Marvel has considered all of the individual superhero movies to be an intro to The Avengers, so the wanna-see on this one will be huge. The film will be released in the first weekend of May, 2012.

I am not sure, I think its going to be time will tell with him. I prefer it he write his own stuff he's better at that then taking on something already set in stone and motion (i.e the prior marvel films)

With Whedon at the reins its going to be a surefire cult hit :)

IMO, it will be a cult hit, but I've seen nothing to indicate he's a good movie maker. I thought Serenity was painful to it through, personally.

Yesterday we got the news that Joss Whedon was in talks with Marvel to direct The Avengers, however Variety have since mentioned that not only will Whedon be directing, he will also be re-writing the script.

Zak Penn (Elektra, X-Men 3) had been given the task of combing the worlds of Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and The Hulk in the form of a screenplay, which I imagine was quite a challenge considering we have yet to see Thor and Captain America on the big screen. Penn probably had directors Kenneth Branagh and Joe Johnston on speed dial so he could ask them about the characters, as there will need to be consistency between each film.

Many have said that Whedon is more of a writer than a director, so this should be good news for fans. Whedon has spent a lot of time writing comic books so he knows how to write superheros, and with input from other Marvel directors I expect the script to be nothing short of comic book movie excellence.

Whedon and the team have just over 9 months before The Avengers starts filming with Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Samuel L. Jackson and (hopefully, possibly, maybe) Edward Norton as The Hulk.

Source