eXeN 360 - unban your banned console?

yeh but what if i bought a second hand console... found out it was banned, i'd only have to ring MS up and tell them to unban it surely?

Don't think that would work, unless MS can tell when the console was flagged, but then you'd need to prove when you bought it.

Because in your scenario it's just your word versus theirs.

Personally that is why I'd never ever buy a second hand 360 off ebay. Just buy a new one.

Second-hand consoles do not fall under any kind of warranty supplied by Microsoft. In other words, if you buy a second-hand console and it breaks or you find out that it's banned, Microsoft will NOT help you.

However, it's worth checking if the "banned" console can play backup games, as far as I'm aware that's the only reason consoles actually get banned (currently).

As for this video, it's absolutely fake and there isn't even a question about it (See below).

I know this is fake but doesn't Team Executor have a chip which can bypass the ban by extracting and injecting a new key / ID?

Sort of!

All of the files and data on a 360 (With the exception of the DVD-ROM drive's firmware) are "digitally-signed". What this means is that if a single bit of code is changed, the signature breaks and the 360 will not load it. This is done at the hardware level, literally inside the CPU, so it's not like with the PSP where if you can hack the bootloader, you can hack anything that comes after it.

Part of this code includes the console's serial number, we can't change this without breaking the signature, but you CAN extract legitimate ones using the correct hardware.

What's more, you can also flash another 360 with this to give the second 360 the same serial identification as the first one.

What does this mean? Well, technically, it IS possible to unban your 360 from live, but you need a second 360 to do it and if you get banned again, both 360s are banned. Plus it takes a hell of a lot more work and effort to do this than it does to simply mod the unbanned 360 to play backups anyway.

You can also, using the same hardware, change the region of your 360 to play games from locked-out region (And make your console unable to play games specific to it's original region in the process). Recently, a device has been made that allows you to have two different firmwares on your 360, should you wish to do this (That's about all it's useful for, unless you're lucky enough to have a really old 360, in which case you can install linux - but we're getting a little off-topic now).

What gave this video away as being fake (apart from the sheer absurdity of it all) was the part where the software was able to scan the firmware and detect that it was banned. It does not work like this, Live will keep a record of which consoles are banned, not the console itself. Imagine when you connect to live, it sort of goes like this...

XBOX: Hey Live! I want to connect!

LIVE: Hey Xbox! What's your S/N?!

XBOX: Me? Oh I'm xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx

LIVE: Sweet, hold on a sec...

<At this point Live checks your serial number against a database of banned ones>

LIVE: Hey Xbox, why don't you go **** yourself you dirty pirating scum!

<LIVE hangs up>

XBOX: Err...Live? ....hello...? ...please don't leave me! :(.....hello.....? awwwwww...

That is correct. I couldn't tell you what happens if two try to sign into live, but it would certainly be a dead giveaway at Microsoft/Live HQ that something strange was going on.

I'd imagine they'd both sign into live just fine, you know, until MS got wise to it.

That's just speculation, though, I don't think anyone's tested it enough (since it's borderline useless) to know for sure and I'd bet there's plenty of ways to detect a "spoofed" console if they really wanted.

Case 1 : its not fake . then YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo

More Possibility of ........ :

Case 2 : FAKE .......... then someone tell me this?????

who are these idiots going over so much trouble showing that in the video . what they have actually built ? ? whats the chip for ? just an ON-OFF switch for xbox 360 through USB ? and we do get the screen to manipulate Firmware and stuff. so what are these guys UPTO ????

Case 1 : its not fake . then YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo

More Possibility of ........ :

Case 2 : FAKE .......... then someone tell me this?????

who are these idiots going over so much trouble showing that in the video . what they have actually built ? ? whats the chip for ? just an ON-OFF switch for xbox 360 through USB ? and we do get the screen to manipulate Firmware and stuff. so what are these guys UPTO ????

It's completely set up. There just turning on the Xbox normally, just panning the camera to the ciruit board thing. The firmware they probably just fabricated from another source.

Their motive is to make money, they're selling these things on their website.