Windows 7 Build 6956 QnA

Hi there! Edition 2 of the new build QnA thread tradition!

I'm running a clean-installed not-VHD-leaked version of 6956 atm, and if you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer them!

First thing I noticed, is the new boot animation. Some shots. They were really fast, so I couldnt take any more pics.

GALLERY'S

Win76956Install.jpgWin7 6956 install

Win76956Screenies.jpgWin7 6956 screenies

Windows7Pictures6956Edition.jpgWindows 7 Wallpapers and Sample images (6956 edition) (fixed the link)

VIDEO'S

Booting up 7 (good quality video, might try a VM to show better): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzFDuzGB09I&fmt=18

Edited by Ambroos

Question number 1: How did you get the build?

Question number 1a: Was it the VHD?

:p

Okay, serious question:

Can you check and see if transparency is turned off when you open/close windows, or use Flip3D?

About the classic cursors: that problem was also in 6801, for some reason the classic cursor is set right after logging in.

Uhh what? No they haven't.

Strange... They did indeed show up after a reboot. When initially entering Windows straight after setup it's still the old cursors. Sorry!

Question number 1: How did you get the build?

Question number 1a: Was it the VHD?

:p

Okay, serious question:

Can you check and see if transparency is turned off when you open/close windows, or use Flip3D?

About the classic cursors: that problem was also in 6801, for some reason the classic cursor is set right after logging in.

1: Same way I got 6801.

1a: Nope.

Serious question, that has been fixed, with the default driver for my 8600GTS. The new nVidia preview driver is gone from Windows Update, and didn't have time to update drivers yet.

ATM uploading a clearer vid of the new bootscreen. Mind that it looks better irl.

I hope at some point they try to make the Start Button fit a little nicer onto the Taskbar. At the moment it looks like it's being squashed, and bumps into the edge. Me no like.

There was a similar problem with Vista's Start Button, where two little dots appeared on either side of the Orb, but that was fixed from RC2.

---

Here's my question: can you interact with the desktop after hovering over the Show Desktop button?

I hope at some point they try to make the Start Button fit a little nicer onto the Taskbar. At the moment it looks like it's being squashed, and bumps into the edge. Me no like.

There was a similar problem with Vista's Start Button, where two little dots appeared on either side of the Orb, but that was fixed from RC2.

---

Here's my question: can you interact with the desktop after hovering over the Show Desktop button?

Start button is indeed quite on the edges... could be improved.

When the pointer leaves the show desktop button everything goes back to normal, so no actions possible... Same reason why I don't really get it's use...

Start button is indeed quite on the edges... could be improved.

When the pointer leaves the show desktop button everything goes back to normal, so no actions possible... Same reason why I don't really get it's use...

I suppose it's to see your gadgets. Does WinKey+Space bring them to the front? I'm not booted into 6801 (or whatever it is) to see if it does.

It seems like almost a waste just to use that button to show your desktop so you can look at it.

The feature is called "peek" for a reason :) It's great for getting a quick look at your gadgets and other desktop items. If you actually want to interact with the desktop, then just click the Show Desktop button (which is really easy now that you can just throw your mouse into the corner and click).

The feature is called "peek" for a reason :) It's great for getting a quick look at your gadgets and other desktop items. If you actually want to interact with the desktop, then just click the Show Desktop button (which is really easy now that you can just throw your mouse into the corner and click).

Oh, I see; so just hovering over the button lets you "peek" and clicking it shows the desktop conventionally?

So is this iso considered legal now? A big news site called itwire called the ISO download legal, but the ISO is just the same as VHD image, just in a different format, so how can it be legal now that its an ISO?

Oh, I see; so just hovering over the button lets you "peek" and clicking it shows the desktop conventionally?

Yep. Only thing that could be annoying, when you have a lot of windows opened, the window borders could get annoying when you want to see your gadgets. Maybe it could be made so that gadgets float on top of the window borders, but it's kinda neat already if you use gadgets a lot. Maybe they could integrate sticky notes in some way too. Then it could get really useful.

And oh, peeking at sticky notes from hovering the taskbar thumbnail for some reason only works if it's not minimized. Other apps do peek when minimized...

I'm quite impressed by the time you begin installation to the time you see the desktop, it makes installing these new builds pretty painless. The ISO isn't considered legal, therefore you cannot discuss places to download it or how to get it.

Yep. Only thing that could be annoying, when you have a lot of windows opened, the window borders could get annoying when you want to see your gadgets. Maybe it could be made so that gadgets float on top of the window borders, but it's kinda neat already if you use gadgets a lot. Maybe they could integrate sticky notes in some way too. Then it could get really useful.

And oh, peeking at sticky notes from hovering the taskbar thumbnail for some reason only works if it's not minimized. Other apps do peek when minimized...

Well that makes much more sense.

Question 2: What's the User Folder icon like? In the previous build it was a horrible brown folder, so I changed it back to the Vista one.

I suppose it's to see your gadgets. Does WinKey+Space bring them to the front? I'm not booted into 6801 (or whatever it is) to see if it does.

It seems like almost a waste just to use that button to show your desktop so you can look at it.

WinKey+Space is now the keyboard shortcut for Peek. Pretty handy actually

Well that makes much more sense.

Question 2: What's the User Folder icon like? In the previous build it was a horrible brown folder, so I changed it back to the Vista one.

User folder icon: Fullscreen%20capture%207122008%2002201.jpg

Booting up video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzFDuzGB09I&fmt=18

As said before booting looks better IRL.

Screenshots gallery with my comments! You can add comments with a Google account.

My questions:

1. Are you using it as you write these answers?

2. Is there a way to reset the taskbar to act similar to Vista or XP? Or is it all just an OS X bar remake.

My questions:

2. Is there a way to reset the taskbar to act similar to Vista or XP? Or is it all just an OS X bar remake.

1. yes

2. You can set the taskbar to always display names, and then you can also set it to only group things when you run out of space, same options that were present in the previous build. You can also set it to use smaller icons so it doesn't take up as much space.

My questions:

1. Using it ATM.

2. Classic taskbar settings. Note how you can pin the taskbar properties (and many other windows) to the taskbar, useful if you change some settings all the time!

Fullscreen%20capture%207122008%2003122.jpg

User folder icon: Fullscreen%20capture%207122008%2002201.jpg

Booting up video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzFDuzGB09I&fmt=18

As said before booting looks better IRL.

Screenshots gallery with my comments! You can add comments with a Google account.

Eurgh, that's not nice. I look nothing like that...plus I have a face.

Any more changes the the Volume Mixer? From what I can remember there were some tweaks in 6801. Hopefully problems like this have been fixed:

post-70638-1228606445.jpg