Memory Cleaner

Question

sw_memclean.jpg

Tech-savvy folk are divided over whether memory cleaning tools are of any use because Windows (Vista upwards at least) manage memory quite well. I am inclined to side with those who say that memory cleaning tools are useless because many of them use ill-advised techniques.

Memory Cleaner does not claim to be much better. It is no where near as revolutionary as DiskMax or neoSearch. But, quite honestly, I think you should try it out - you will find it quite refreshing.

Feature List

1.Trims processes' working set.

2.Clears system cache.

3.Monitors RAM usage and reports minimum, maximum and average (true average, not (min+max)/2).

4.Reports Pagefile and virtual memory usage.

dloadnow.png

(direct link: http://koshyjohn.com/software/MemClean.exe)

(Size: 375KB; Version: 1.00; official launch date: 01 May 2009)

(as usual, link-backs will be given to reviewers if a review is brought to my notice)

Edited by Koshy John

2 answers to this question

why should we try it out if even you admit it's useless

and good job linking to your own site there :rolleyes:

I think I went overboard trying to lower expectations for users of my other programs - I have no intention of damaging my credibility by making claims I cannot substatiate. I wasn't trying to infer it was useless.

I said some memory cleaners are useless - the reason being they use a memory fill technique where they temporarily fill your RAM with random data to force Windows to flush out unused DLLs and perform other memory housekeeping tasks. This is a very ill advised technique where system performance will suffer.

Memory Cleaner is better because it works with only standard Windows functions and it also displays useful metrics that is hard to infer from say Task Manager or Process Explorer. But these are not features that I can claim to be groundbreaking - like I did with my other programs which I feel (and most users concur) stand above the rest of the crop.

I linked to the auto-download page because I can change the location of the actual file later if bandwidth usage grows too much. I'll update the first post to include a direct link also.

Edited by Koshy John