Ridley Scotts "Prometheus" (2012)

I liked the movie, but the story was a bit different than some of you are saying...

Humans were created by mistake.

At the begging of the movie as the aliens are leaving earth one guy stays and he drinks a potion that destroys his body, but as he falls in the water a single string of DNA survives. Than the movie takes us to the evolution process starting with the creation of the single cell organisms.

That is why at the end of the movie the "Engineer" looks down on them as inferior and tryes to kill them with no attempt to comunicate.

So one way yo look at the whole story is that we were created by an accident by a much supperior race.

The doctor proceeds at then end to look for the meaning of life and to see if she can find out who is the ultimate creator, and what gives these engineers the right to create and destroy life.

Very poetic stance.

Very poetic stance.

That beginning is one thing I was not able to understand. Why did that dude drink that stuff if he knew it would kill him? Why did he stay behind?

That beginning is one thing I was not able to understand. Why did that dude drink that stuff if he knew it would kill him? Why did he stay behind?

Maybe he was infected...

Post revoked due to previous spoiler tags

Double edit.. The film has recieved comparisons to AVP but as bad as the flaws were in this film, to compare to AVP is just wrong.

Sure, it doesnt make sense that archelogists at the start of the film, meticulously map every move they make to forget this the moment they travel 2 and a bit years to an alien planet.. Then lets put aside the pure lack of obvious plot points in the film you still end up asking more questions than the film answer, which was about the Space Jockey.

LV224 vs LV246 and yes I realise its set in the same universe as Alien but does that mean a parallet universe as well.

During the end the space jockey dies in the space pod not in the gun where the Alien film first discoveres the space jockey.

For a film thats a different universe there sare still a heck of a lot of references. Even taking away Alien and the TV edits that plague the Uk a lot still has to be desired.

I mean you travel 2 and a bit years to an alient planet, youre trapped, see something swiming around in goo and THEN you think its friendly. please.. thats just a step too far.

Take away the Alien reference, take away Ridley scott and ask youselves without the hype was the film really that good? Did you enjoy it as much as other block busters such as the Avengers?

Prometheus is officially a failure people. What a shame. It is such a beautiful and great film. I guess people did not understand it.

https://www.google.c...iw=1361&bih=981

I'm not sure I'd agree. I mean, I don't know how they officially decide whether or not a movie is a success or failure, but I'd say it was a success simply because they've made more than they spent.

According to THR, Prometheus cost was between $120-130 million, and so far, according to Box Office Mojo, it has already made $161.3 million (worldwide) and it has only been out a week.

The way I view a film's box office success is whether or not it broke even or did better. Prometheus has already done better and will continue to do so.

I liked the movie, but the story was a bit different than some of you are saying...

Humans were created by mistake.

At the begging of the movie as the aliens are leaving earth one guy stays and he drinks a potion that destroys his body, but as he falls in the water a single string of DNA survives. Than the movie takes us to the evolution process starting with the creation of the single cell organisms.

That is why at the end of the movie the "Engineer" looks down on them as inferior and tryes to kill them with no attempt to comunicate.

So one way yo look at the whole story is that we were created by an accident by a much supperior race.

The doctor proceeds at then end to look for the meaning of life and to see if she can find out who is the ultimate creator, and what gives these engineers the right to create and destroy life.

I don't agree on the DNA strand theory

The DNA was infected by the black stuff and it was broken down. It was to show then all his cells in the Engineer's body was disentergrating very quickly. There was no surviving DNA, it was all infected and broken up. Also, it's a reference/symbolism to the Xenomorph/Alien of how fast they infect and destroy things.

As for the Engineer ..

I'm thinking the reason was to test the new bio-weapon. There's a backstory that hasn't been told, that's for sure. But why is the 'mothership' leaving him be? I'm thinking he is some sort of scientist, just trying the new weapon on an unknown planet, so the only person he can hurt is himself.

That's why I think the "engineers" are more like "pollinators"

One of the theories i read on IMDB about the first engineer :

From what i could read on the IMDB site on the FAQ section of Prometheus, there is one theory that suggest the lonely engineer basically stole the technology of "creation" from the others and made life on planet earth and now the engineers decided they should wipe us out since it was a mistake to begin with ( thus the name of the movie Prometheus - the god who stole fire so he could give it to humans ) Seems to work because of the ritualistic manner in which he did it , he could have did it without sacrificing himself if it was actually a test to begin with  

Those theories of it being a mistake just don't pan out with the pictures drawn through out time. They apparently visited earth multiple times. We did something 2000 years ago that ****ed them off, or made them realize that we were a "mistake" after all. But at the beginning, they were visiting and sharing information... enough info as for tribes to draw the star cluster accurately enough.

Those theories of it being a mistake just don't pan out with the pictures drawn through out time. They apparently visited earth multiple times. We did something 2000 years ago that ****ed them off, or made them realize that we were a "mistake" after all. But at the beginning, they were visiting and sharing information... enough info as for tribes to draw the star cluster accurately enough.

I think it's more of a 'we are from this place' then telling humans to travel there. So did anyone read my Time Travel theory? lol.

someone earlier bought up the plot point about the murial in the tomb, again another part that almost just seems chucked in to create more questions than answers.

Anyone feel that the film was announced and marketed to tell the story of the space jockey but just ended up with more questions being asked and an almost Mass Effect wtf ending?

someone earlier bought up the plot point about the murial in the tomb, again another part that almost just seems chucked in to create more questions than answers.

Anyone feel that the film was announced and marketed to tell the story of the space jockey but just ended up with more questions being asked and an almost Mass Effect wtf ending?

as long as there is a sequel explaining some things then I am quite happy with having questions go unanswered.

I watched this over the weekend and came out confused and rather unimpressed mainly because of the many gaps in the plot.

I don't know much about the Alien series canon but I thought it didn't matter much.

These are the things that had me scratching my head,

- The first engineer who "sacrifices" himself near the waterfall. What was the point and on which planet did it happen? I've read some theories here about early days of earth but I am not convinced. :/

- What was David'd motivation for infecting Holloway? David's dialogues after he meets Shaw after her surgery appeared that he banked on him impregnating Shaw but how did he "know" what the black liquid does to even infect him in the first place?

- The opening engineer dies within seconds/minutes of consuming the liquid whereas Holloway apparently survives a full night or at least a few good hours. Was it because of the quantity? If so, how the heck did he transfer to Shaw when he was not infected "fast enough"?

- Why did the "surviving" geologist Fifield came back and attack the crew?

- What happened to Milburn the biologist? If he died, what happened to the alien that must have came out of him? (similar to how the last engineer dies)

- and to talk of Milburn (and Holloway), I always get a chuckle out of these stereotypical movie characters that travel to distant-unknown-scary places and then throw all caution to the wind. e.g. when Milburn encounters the snake like creature or Holloway insists "I want to go out NAAW" when the Captain warns him about only 5hours of daylight! :D

- Why did the black liquid start oozing out only after the crew visited the place?

- Why was the last engineer in cryo sleep? Why/how did only one survived with some more visibly perfect units in the same chamber (indicating more like him)?

Just a few questions and I'm sure they have already been answered.

1. In the beginning, why did that engineer drink the aliens?

2. Why did the robot poison the doctor? - wife said so he can create an engineer for his father figure.

3. Was the doctor going to explode?

4. The alien that came out of the girl, was it just evolving like the Darwin theory? Because I thought the aliens were created by the spider looking aliens, in this movie they are snakelike, so I'm assuming they are evolving.

I'm seriously starting to think this movie is just flew over a lot of people's heads. No insult, honestly, but many questions are answered in the movie (subtly, but the answers are there) or it's evident that will be answered in the sequel.

I'm seriously starting to think this movie is just flew over a lot of people's heads. No insult, honestly, but many questions are answered in the movie (subtly, but the answers are there) or it's evident that will be answered in the sequel.

I think it went over my head for sure because the more I think of the way things happened in Prometheus, the more I think it was a dumb movie. :D :/

I think it went over my head for sure because the more I think of the way things happened in Prometheus, the more I think it was a dumb movie. :D :/

What exactly is it that you don't understand?

Reading a lot of peoples thoughts, and reviews, not just on this site, makes me think that too many people are STILL thinking this is an Alien prequel and that's what's causing a lot of problems.

What exactly is it that you don't understand?

Reading a lot of peoples thoughts, and reviews, not just on this site, makes me think that too many people are STILL thinking this is an Alien prequel and that's what's causing a lot of problems.

I haven't even seen this first Alien and I am under the impression that this is not a prequel.

My questions/thoughts are in this post (couple of them a bit sily but still valid :blush: )

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/764988-ridley-scotts-prometheus-2012/page__view__findpost__p__594940693

Speaking as someone who liked it, I still found it staggeringly, offensively moronic at times. Example,

Shaw whacks two crew, has herself eviscerated, staggers around covered in blood, coming upon Weyland and other crew yet no-one is the least bit concerned by her appearance. At least one of the people she whacked enters the room expressing no interest whatsoever in Shaw. Even David, who we explicity know is aware of her... baby... expresses no interest as to where the, you know, alien is.

Q: The first engineer who "sacrifices" himself near the waterfall. What was the point and on which planet did it happen? I've read some theories here about early days of earth but I am not convinced.

A: It was earth. The entire premise of the movie is to find out where humans came from. Earth was emphatically implied. The engineer sacrificed himself to start the process of evolution. His DNA seeded all life (outside of plants) on earth.

Q: What was David'd motivation for infecting Holloway? David's dialogues after he meets Shaw after her surgery appeared that he banked on him impregnating Shaw but how did he "know" what the black liquid does to even infect him in the first place?

A: Weyland asked him to try harder at finding a solution to his mortality. Holloway was a guinea pig.

Q: The opening engineer dies within seconds/minutes of consuming the liquid whereas Holloway apparently survives a full night or at least a few good hours. Was it because of the quantity? If so, how the heck did he transfer to Shaw when he was not infected "fast enough"?

A: Do we know it was the same liquid? And even if it was, the engineer is not human, so his body verses a human body may react differently.

Q: Why did the "surviving" geologist Fifield come back and attack the crew?

A: He had been sprayed with in the face with some kind of liquid. Who knows what that did to his brain.

Q: What happened to Milburn the biologist? If he died, what happened to the alien that must have came out of him? (similar to how the last engineer dies)

A: Don't know, we don't necessarily know an alien came out of him. We saw his corpse when the team returned to get him. Not everything has to have a 100% definitive answer, especially if there's a sequel lined up.

Q: Why did the black liquid start oozing out only after the crew visited the place?

A: David touched one of them. If they are connected in some way we don't necessarily understand, it could have activated one of them.

Q: Why was the last engineer in cryo sleep? Why/how did only one survived with some more visibly perfect units in the same chamber (indicating more like him)?

A: We don't know. Again, either saving it for the sequel or leaving that answer up to you to decide. Maybe he was the first in the cryo before an outbreak killed the rest. We just don't know.