Windows 7 Ctrl-Alt-Del at welcome screen

In XP, we used to have the ability to Ctrl-Alt-Del twice at the welcome screen (that login screen with your userpics) to get to the standard login screen (where you get to type in your username & password).

Has this been taken out in 7? I don't seem to be able to do it anymore...

The reasoning behind this is that I have a remote account that I use to RDP in when I'm away. I hide this from the welcome screen. But on rare occasions, I may need to login to it locally. I don't do it often, and I like my welcome screen clean (the reason I hide it in the first place).

This was removed in Vista. The new logon screen includes all the relevant functionality, I think? If you want to hide an account from the screen you should be able to add it to "disable logon locally" in computer management.

You can, via Group Policy enable the setting that requires you to type both the username and password to login as opposed to showing tiles of local users.

You can, via Group Policy enable the setting that requires you to type both the username and password to login as opposed to showing tiles of local users.

Yes, I am aware of that. You don't really want to see 200 tiles of user accounts on a domain PC :p

My gripe is that there doesn't seem to be any easy way to switch between one and the other (temporarily). XP had that Double Ctrl-Alt-Del thing.

If it's for RDP, why don't you just enter the user name in the RDP connection dialog (or save it in the .rdp file). I'm guessing that would work and be much more straightforward.

If it's for RDP, why don't you just enter the user name in the RDP connection dialog (or save it in the .rdp file). I'm guessing that would work and be much more straightforward.

It's for when I need to get in locally when I'm at home and need to continue where I left off. Unless there's a way to do local RDP?

Edit: this does not happen very often; Which is why I hide the user to not clutter the welcome screen. I mean, it's not hard to unhide it at all if I have to. I just wanted to know if there's an easier way..

I'd like to do this on my notebook. What must I do within Group Policy Editor to set this up?

I'd like to do this on my notebook. What must I do within Group Policy Editor to set this up?

This did it for me in win7:

Run > gpedit.msc > Computer Config\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Interactive logon: Do not display last user name > Enabled

It's slightly different in XP.

Yes, I am aware of that. You don't really want to see 200 tiles of user accounts on a domain PC :p

My gripe is that there doesn't seem to be any easy way to switch between one and the other (temporarily). XP had that Double Ctrl-Alt-Del thing.

On a domain, they don't show up, only the last user that logged on shows up. You click on switch user to change the user :)

^ yep, there is in fact no change from the Vista to Windows 7 login screen, if pc is joined to a domain, it will require you to ctrl+alt+del, unless of course changes to the domain policy related to login have been made.

• 2 years later...

I would like to have the same behavior. There is an account that I would like to hide from the list of the users (I don't want others to know that I have it), but I don't like typing my username for the usual account all the time. Would be cool to have an ability to switch between two login methods without the need to edit local policy every time.