Have Back Classic Start Menu In Windows 7 With This Tool!

Jeez can't people just let the classic start menu die already?

I don't even like the classic start menu but I thought I would post this because I always see so many people here saying how they would love to be able to use the classic start menu in Windows 7 :)

I don't even like the classic start menu but I thought I would post this because I always see so many people here saying how they would love to be able to use the classic start menu in Windows 7 :)

Yeah, I wasn't taking a shot at you with my post, it was just a general statement.

Jeez can't people just let the classic start menu die already?

Yeah, stupid people. Having their own opinions, what's wrong with them. They should like what they're told to like.

Attached File(s)

Attached File screen.bmp ( 800.65K ) Number of downloads: 19

Attached File classic_start_menu_for_windows_7_1.bmp ( 256.77K ) Number of downloads: 11

And since when have screenshots in BMP format been a good idea? Oh that's right, NEVER! I'll give this a miss thanks.

Oh and if you want to use a system that looks and feels like 2000/XP, then use 2000/XP. Simples.

Strange... the fan boys are all declaring anyone who wants to continue using the classic menu is a fool and yet so many of us would still like it there. Its almost as if we don't care what the fan boys think and just want something that works for us. :blink:

I turned the downloads folder into a junction point to the start menu, so I can do this :whistle:

post-57213-1246053336.png

It's 2009. If you still want the classic Start menu, then stick with XP or Vista.

Also, looking at the site:

The innovative, high-tech version of Windows Start menu introduced in Windows 7 is not necessarily welcome by experienced users of previous Windows editions. The lack of choice resulting from Microsoft's removal of classic Start menu from Windows 7 leaves many computer users frustrated. Seven Classic Start enables the familiar look and feel of the classic Start menu found in Windows XP and Vista for users of Windows 7.

You're obviously not very "experienced" if you aren't capable of doing things in a new (and even better) way. I don't know why people even bother with newer OS if all they want to do is use their old computing habits from 15-20 years ago.

I think the new start menu isn't so bad. But I also want to have back the good old classic menu.

But you can emulate the classic start menu in Windows 7.

So you have the features of the new menu AND the classic start menu side by side.

• Features of the new menu:
  • recent opened programs
  • pinned programs
  • jumplists
  • special links (right area of start menu)
  • search bar
    Bad in new menu:
  • All programs: louvre opened menu
  • Reduced space for "All programs" menu by start menu, often scrolling is needed
  • Search bar without "history"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Features of classic menu:
  • Laterally opened menu without mouse click
  • Menus uses full screen height
    Bad in classic menu:
  • No recent opened programs
  • No jumplist
  • No search bar

You're obviously not very "experienced" if you aren't capable of doing things in a new (and even better) way. I don't know why people even bother with newer OS if all they want to do is use their old computing habits from 15-20 years ago.

What defines a "better way"?

If I can accomplish tasks via the command line much faster than you can do them via a GUI (and often things you CAN'T do without having a specialized tool for it), does that mean your "new" way is improved and better just because it's "easier" or "flashier"?

If people are content using the classic start menu, why deprive them something that has worked for them for so long? Just implement it alongside the new way of doing things and you'll please both sides of the fence.

Yeah, stupid people. Having their own opinions, what's wrong with them. They should like what they're told to like.

You are allowed to have your own opinion, so long as the resident fanboi's agree with it...otherwise you become a fair target....

People can have whatever they like you freakin start menu Nazi's lol.

Right on brother...fight the power...

Strange... the fan boys are all declaring anyone who wants to continue using the classic menu is a fool and yet so many of us would still like it there. Its almost as if we don't care what the fan boys think and just want something that works for us. :blink:

OMG, the noive....

I run Windows in Classic Mode, and have since WinXP, why, because it frees up RAM that can better be used elsewhere, and the OS tends to be a lot faster because it doesn't have to render all the desktop bells & whistles. So, yes if there is a way to also run the Start Menu in Win7 in Classic Mode as well, then yes, I'll definately be looking into that as I don't like how they force you to use the new menu.

i know some friends that might be interested in this, dont understand why though. They are always complaining that windows needs to act more like OSX so I showed them Windows 7. The first thing they asked though is about the classic start menu?

Just curious though, would there be any way to used XP mode to add in the xp classic start menu?

I run Windows in Classic Mode, and have since WinXP, why, because it frees up RAM that can better be used elsewhere, and the OS tends to be a lot faster because it doesn't have to render all the desktop bells & whistles. So, yes if there is a way to also run the Start Menu in Win7 in Classic Mode as well, then yes, I'll definately be looking into that as I don't like how they force you to use the new menu.

Actually, wrong. Aero mode in Windows Vista and Windows 7, especially when running with a DX10 card and WDDM1.1 drivers is fully GPU accellerated and utilises VRAM instead of system ram, and equally, GPU for GUI rendering. It will be a lot faster rendering the bells and whistles than not. You're using MORE ram in classic mode.

Actually, wrong. Aero mode in Windows Vista and Windows 7, especially when running with a DX10 card and WDDM1.1 drivers is fully GPU accellerated and utilises VRAM instead of system ram, and equally, GPU for GUI rendering. It will be a lot faster rendering the bells and whistles than not. You're using MORE ram in classic mode.

With Aero running:

2j62rh5.png

Without Aero running:

rri5qg.png

Do you want to revised your statement?

Not particuarly. Do you want to go and research Windows Memory Management?

So you're saying there is NO System Memory overheard running Aero, and the load is purely absorbed by the VRAM on the video card?!

I think you might be wrong mate!

Random article from Google here.. many more like it:

http://exo-blog.blogspot.com/2007/03/vista...at-cpu-hog.html

I love how people QQ about windows memory use when like every off the shelf unit has 3gb or more ram now. RAM is so cheap its silly to QQ over memory use. If you're using classic mode you may as well stick with windows 2000 or 9x, ohh and turn superfetch off as well because it uses too much memory to practically let your most frequently used apps load almost instantly. Seriously just buy more ram and use the OS as it was intended or dont waste your time upgrading.

I love how people QQ about windows memory use when like every off the shelf unit has 3gb or more ram now. RAM is so cheap its silly to QQ over memory use. If you're using classic mode you may as well stick with windows 2000 or 9x, ohh and turn superfetch off as well because it uses too much memory to practically let your most frequently used apps load almost instantly. Seriously just buy more ram and use the OS as it was intended or dont waste your time upgrading.

I've got 6GB of RAM, DDR3 RAM is still not cheaper, of course I plan on getting another 6GB for a total of 12GB or 18GB for a total of 24GB, yes Aero may run fast, but not running Aero Windows does tend to run faster.