[definitive] Best iPhone Apps

Thought I'd give this thread a bump: if anyone is looking for the best video player for iOS, give nPlayer a try.

Highly customizable, has hardware acceleration, SMB/SSH/FTP/etc connectivity, and most importantly, renders SSA/ASS subtitles perfectly. VLC was the other player that did this rendering properly, but it lacks hardware acceleration and doesn't do SMB.

It's $5 but pays for itself especially if you've got more than one device. :)

Thought I'd give this thread a bump: if anyone is looking for the best video player for iOS, give nPlayer a try.

Highly customizable, has hardware acceleration, SMB/SSH/FTP/etc connectivity, and most importantly, renders SSA/ASS subtitles perfectly. VLC was the other player that did this rendering properly, but it lacks hardware acceleration and doesn't do SMB.

It's $5 but pays for itself especially if you've got more than one device. :)

Ohh... Smb support looks nice :). I'll probably check that out.

I've been using AirVideo HD which is a nice solution if you need a wide range of file type support. Only downside is that a server on your PC is required for transcoding non H.264 files.

• 3 weeks later...

Some apps that have come in really handy for me:

Duo Mobile - It's a wonderful multi-factor authentication app, and you can even develop your apps to feature push authentication via the app. 

ToDoIst - Manages Recurring events really well and also works as a great to do list manager

Google Voice - Visual voicemail is always handy

AWS Console - If you manage AWS servers this bad boy comes in handy for quick changes on the road. I know you shouldn't need to do quick changes, but if something goes wrong you want to be prepared. 

Amazon Price Check - Check for lower prices on amazon with your iphone camera 

Dropbox - For accessing files on the road

CloudOn - For editing files on the road

Pushover - Custom Push notifications, so easy to implement.

IFTTT - IF this, then, that is an automation app. it's really nifty and allows you to automate tasks you do everyday

Photoshop Mobile - For those on the road selfie fixes

Spotify Premium - I use it because I like it.

AlienBlue - Reddit browser, comes in handy when I am waiting between meetings

theChive - This NWS app is one of a kind awesome picture viewer

The obvious ones:

Facebook, Twitter, Square, Plants vs Zombies, Cut the Rope, Tinywings, FindmyiPhone, Google Translate/Search/Earth/Maps, Flipboard, Pandora, 8tracks

• 9 months later...

For recording music...

Multitrack DAW. 

I've used this for about a year. Some of the songs I've created sound better than one's I've recorded with a mic using Ableton. A recording studio in the palm of your hand. Great for demos. 

• 1 year later...
  • zhangm changed the title to [definitive] Best iPhone Apps
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Mine was Splice. I loved it! Best videos w/music an amateur like myself could create. I was awesome and it made me create better than I could imagine. Unfortunately I have not had another iPhone since my 4s, (?) Lol but it was perfect!

Splice!! 5 ?

• 1 year later...

List of apps:

1) Splitwise to manage expenses between friends and flat mates

2) 1.1.1.1 - for DNS over HTTPS

3) CamCard - to scan business cards

4) Trainline - to buy train travel

5) Citymapper - to navigate in a city

6) Scanbot - to scan documents

please contribute so I can find some good apps.