Windows 7 Speed: Home Premium Vs Ultimate

Hi All,

So I'm very excited about Win 7, it looks and feels awesome so far. In my mind there is no questions of am I going to update all my vista computers..

However when the time comes to choose which version to install, I am wondering if there is any difference in speed between Home Premium and Ultimate (or Enterprise)? I imagine that there must be some but would it be noticeable or worth the lesser features?

Regards..

I don't think there would really be much of a difference in speed and performance between the versions.

At the most, the amount of processes would affect it, but the difference would probably not be noticeable unless you are using Windows 7 with low amounts of RAM.

Hi All,

So I'm very excited about Win 7, it looks and feels awesome so far. In my mind there is no questions of am I going to update all my vista computers..

However when the time comes to choose which version to install, I am wondering if there is any difference in speed between Home Premium and Ultimate (or Enterprise)? I imagine that there must be some but would it be noticeable or worth the lesser features?

Regards..

The difference in speed would be almost none, if not none.

However, at a push Ultimate may be a tad slower but only because of the additional services it would run.

There would be no speed difference. I say if your looking into ultimate go for professional instead. Unlike vista, Windows 7 professional includes media center and dvd video playing. Professional also includes domain join and full pc image backup.

Edited by majortom1981

Hi All,

Regards..

Speed comes from (type of cpu,ram, and 32bit or 64bit) the 64bit is faster because it will see and use all of your ram......

Speed comes from (type of cpu,ram, and 32bit or 64bit) the 64bit is faster because it will see and use all of your ram......

I think this is pretty obvious.. speed can also change depending on your OS, like XP vs Vista. But the difference will be almost nothing in this case, and probably nothing noticeable at all. I don't need any of the Ultimate extras so I'm happy shaving a MB or two off RAM usage if that even happens.

Well, there is a tiny difference because Ultimate has more things running and thus consumes slightly more resources, however you can disable anything you want and it's extremely negligible. It's not faster than Home Premium, if that's what you were wondering. If you don't actually want the features, you'll get no benefit from buying it.

Well, there is a tiny difference because Ultimate has more things running and thus consumes slightly more resources, however you can disable anything you want and it's extremely negligible. It's not faster than Home Premium, if that's what you were wondering. If you don't actually want the features, you'll get no benefit from buying it.

Ultimate will be a tad bit slower with a bigger memory footprint.

There shouldn't be any difference in performance whether you use Ultimate or Home Premium since Windows 7 actually tones down or disables the services that you don't use.

It's ridiculous to think that Windows 7 has more things running. What does it have more?

Backup, Domain Join, BitLocker, Windows 7 Mode (optional) and language packs (also optional).

These 'more things' shouldn't slow down Windows 7 Ultimate and make Home Premium faster at all.