DirectCompute Benchmark for Vista SP2 with DX11 or Win7

2289d1257342104firstdir.png

A forum member by the name of Pat has recently released a new benchmark tool for DirectCompute. This tool allows you to benchmark DirectX 11 latest general-purpose computing feature by calculating tons of FFT-like data and some memory transfers. DirectCompute is an application programming interface (API) that takes advantage of the massively parallel processing power of a modern graphics processing unit (GPU) to accelerate PC application performance. Be advised that DirectX 11 and the latest display drivers are required to run this benchmark.

http://www.ngohq.com/news/16710-first-dire...k-released.html

Download here: http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Files&a...&dwn_id=937

EDIT: Download the latest version here (v0.45b).

Edited by Anaron
Added link for v0.45b

• 1 month later...

You can run this benchmark with an HD4000-series video card, but only if you're running the Catalyst 9.12 drivers:

ATI Catalyst? support for DirectCompute 10.1

This release of ATI Catalyst? provides full support for DirectCompute 10.1 for the ATI

Radeon? HD 4800 Series, ATI Radeon? HD 4700 Series for both single card and ATI

CrossFireX? supported configurations.

http://www2.ati.com/relnotes/Catalyst_912_release_notes.pdf

what does the letter at the beginning of the score mean?

I assume it stands for "single", as in single-threaded.

DirectCompute%20Benchmark%20v0.35%20by%20Pat.png

Nice to see my old-ish card still score that well.

I have no idea what the letters before the numbers mean, or why the scores differ so much, the OpenCL benchmark scores higher than the DirectCompute one, but took longer to complete.

Here are my results:

DirectCompute%20Benchmark%20v0.35%20by%20Pat.png

Specs:

• Intel Core2Duo E6750 @ 3.2 GHz
  • ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB
  • 8GB DDR2 RAM
  • Windows 7 Ultimate x64

The DirectCompute score seems a little high for the HD 4870.

That makes no sense at all.

yup, either the score title should say "CUDA" instead of "OpenCL", or maybe it has something to do with the current ATI Windows driver. I'm pretty sure ATI has stated that their DX10 cards support OpenCL.

From the ReadMe.txt in the OpenCL folder:

2) ATI supports OpenCL in the Catalyst 9.11 dev beta and now in the official 9.11 BUT YOU NEED ATI Stream SDK to get OpenCL.dll (it's not included in the drivers as fas as I know)

Download and install "ati-stream-sdk-v2.0-beta4-vista-win7-32.exe" (32MB) to get OpenCL support.

I'm confused. I seem to have the highest [posted] DirectCompute score in this thread. How is that possible? I managed to beat Cy-kill's score here. It doesn't make any sense because the HD 4870 X2 outperforms the HD 4870. Perhaps it's an issue with dual-GPU solutions.

I'm confused. I seem to have the highest [posted] DirectCompute score in this thread. How is that possible? I managed to beat Cy-kill's score here. It doesn't make any sense because the HD 4870 X2 outperforms the HD 4870. Perhaps it's an issue with dual-GPU solutions.

You may have beat my DC score, because we are on two different OSes, you're on Win7U x64, while I'm on WinVHP x64, so that may have something to do with it.