Google Chrome Adblock + icon removal.

Question

19 answers to this question

Tools > Extensions : click "options" of the extension (adblock+), and uncheck Show icon in address bar.

Edit: nevermind, that was for adthwart. adblock+ seems to have no option for that :/

Is this actually blocking the ads or is it just still hiding them (meaning the still load and waste bandwidth)?

Just use a HOSTS file to block advertisements. It will work across all browsers without the need of any browser extensions or plugins.

HOSTS file

In addition to ads, it will also stop malware getting onto your system to a large extent. And it does not just hide ads, it blocks it from even loading in the first place, speeding up browsing in the process.

post-35346-1261460922_thumb.jpg

I'm using Adblock(not plus) and it has no icon, and seems to accomplish the same thing..

Yes i really enjoy the browser however, the only thing keeping me away from it as my main browser is all of the extensions i have in firefox. however if if i can manage to replicate them all with chrome i feel i might also make the move to Chrome as my full time browser. However yes the icon is rather much of an eye sore.

After messing around a bit, you can get rid of the button by removing the browser_function operation in the .json file in the extension's directory. Unfortunately you will have to do this in a backup copy of the extension, remove the extension, and reinstall it as an unpacked extension from the extensions page in Chrome. A PITA, but it works.

Just use a HOSTS file to block advertisements. It will work across all browsers without the need of any browser extensions or plugins.

HOSTS file

In addition to ads, it will also stop malware getting onto your system to a large extent. And it does not just hide ads, it blocks it from even loading in the first place, speeding up browsing in the process.

True, but on the other hand messing around with HOSTS files can mess up your OS and you also run into the risk of making the file larger witch can slow down your OS.

HOSTS file

Still leaves horrible blank images or "error 404" messages around the place in internet explorer. Still need an element hider to tidy things up.