Geek Squad Wouldn't Honor My Netbook's Protection Plan

Guys when I had this done there was NO EXTERNAL drive supplied, They did not use any self bootable software i'm sure they just hooked the drive up to another customers computer that had the proper connection and copied those folders.

They gave me 6 CD-R's for $149 which was mostly filled with my itunes library that I had already backed up to disc when anything was purchased

And I expressly asked for the entire drive be copied and was told yes thats what the $149 is for.

They have CHANGED this service heavily since that time, however the corporate attitude toward customers has barely changed and there are still many many things like this that are still active.

Computer is running perfectly fine, but you decide to reboot, then computer sticks partially through booting up at different places randomly, sometimes it does nearly work others not, it then gets to a point where it just stalls before bios whats the problem with the computer answer that Circaflex?

Also, you really need to calm down because if your meant to be giving support and you get that angry and irritated, then support is the wrong job for you to be doing, especially with the rising number of more people with a severe lack of technical skill etc.

I just had a customer who took their computer into Best Buy's Geek Squad here in Edmonton and was charged $350 to "repair" her computer. The issue was that Windows Live Mail had taken over as the default email application. Simple enough right? (She is a _very_ novice computer user who was trying to install WLM to talk to her Grand kids)

Five weeks from the time of drop off, she was told it was ready for pickup and while they had to restore the computer to the original factory state, her data was restored.

Here is the problem:

1. Her computer was custom built by a neighbour 4 yrs ago and had since moved away. No factory state. In fact, she _never_ gave them any disks for the computer.

2. The computer was never formatted and restored. This was verified via event logs. None at all at all in 5 weeks, 3 days. (Management Console)

3. The original problem still existed. (Windows Live Mail was still set as the default email application)

4. She was given 4 disks that was supposedly her data back up. Problem is, they were completely blank disks. Never been written to.

5. She was charged $189.00 for "Advanced Diagnostic and Repair", $59 for "Data Migration", and $99 for "Operating System Service".

I went with her back to Best Buy to speak to a Manager about the situation, as clearly nothing was done to her computer, I was immediately challenged by the Geek Squad Supervisor if I had the authority to work on "Best Buy Warrantied" systems. Since she never bought it at Best Buy, nor did she have a warranty with them, I asked what warranty was he speaking of, and what did it really matter? I was there to ask why the work wasn't done and why was she charged $350 for basically 4 blank cd-rs.

He then challenged me on how I could possibly know whether the disks were written to or not just by looking at them. I actually stood there for a second pondering if he was serious, and when I realized he was, I asked if he could just get the Store Manager. He declined stating there was no need as he could "accurately" answer my questions. To this I replied, "If you can't tell whether a disk has been written to or not, then you can't "accurately" answer my questions". He turned around to use the phone on the counter to call the Manager, and as he did, he muttered "****ing moron" so loud even the people behind us heard it. (One lady made a complaint about it while we were speaking to the Manager)

The manager came and I explained the situation that no work had been done to the computer and that the customer was charged $350 for 4 blank disks, to which the GS guy stated, "There is no way to tell that". So I asked if they could wait a moment while I went and grabbed my tech bag from my car. They agreed. When I returned I took a burned CD out of my bag, turned it over and showed the obvious discoloration of where the disk had been written to, and how the 4 disks the customer was given showed no signs of wear. I popped out 4 or 5 cds and dvds to show the exact same discoloration where they had been written to. The GS looked like I had just shown him how to slice bread without a knife when his Manager looked at him.

I then explained that the issue was very easy to fix by changing the default email application, so I was baffled how the issue cost so much to fix, and why the system needed to be restored (when it obviously wasn't) for such a simple issue. Also why it took 5 weeks for her to get her computer back.

The Manager looked over the bill and said there was an obvious mistake, apologized and refunded my customer back her money. For the inconvenience of having to wait 5 weeks to get her system back he issued her a $100 gift card. He also gave me a $50 gift card for "taking the time to bring this situation to his attention". The lady who complained about me being called a ****ing moron was also given a $50 gift card with a very sincere apology (he really was genuine) and stated her computer issue would be repaired for free. (A CD was jammed inside the rom) When I heard this was her issue I took a paperclip out of my bag and popped it into the little hole in the front and the drive opened, getting the CD out. I asked if we could just plug it in so we could see if the drive opened, the Manger went and got a power cord, and sure enough during the boot up it opened and closed without issue. During all this, the GS supervisor mysteriously vanished from sight. Like a fart in the wind.

I thanked the Manager for his understanding on the issue, the gift card, and for his genuine apology for his GS calling me a ****ing moron. He said the "issue" will be corrected so that it never happens again, and if I had any future issues I could ask for him directly. He then asked if I would be interested in working at the store and I politely declined stating that I ran my own business and it served me very well.

This is just one of the many stories I have relating to GS, but since it was the most recent, I thought I would share it.

I just had a customer who took their computer into Best Buy's Geek Squad here in Edmonton and was charged $350 to "repair" her computer. The issue was that Windows Live Mail had taken over as the default email application. Simple enough right? (She is a _very_ novice computer user who was trying to install WLM to talk to her Grand kids)

Five weeks from the time of drop off, she was told it was ready for pickup and while they had to restore the computer to the original factory state, her data was restored.

Here is the problem:

1. Her computer was custom built by a neighbour 4 yrs ago and had since moved away. No factory state. In fact, she _never_ gave them any disks for the computer.

2. The computer was never formatted and restored. This was verified via event logs. None at all at all in 5 weeks, 3 days. (Management Console)

3. The original problem still existed. (Windows Live Mail was still set as the default email application)

4. She was given 4 disks that was supposedly her data back up. Problem is, they were completely blank disks. Never been written to.

5. She was charged $189.00 for "Advanced Diagnostic and Repair", $59 for "Data Migration", and $99 for "Operating System Service".

I went with her back to Best Buy to speak to a Manager about the situation, as clearly nothing was done to her computer, I was immediately challenged by the Geek Squad Supervisor if I had the authority to work on "Best Buy Warrantied" systems. Since she never bought it at Best Buy, nor did she have a warranty with them, I asked what warranty was he speaking of, and what did it really matter? I was there to ask why the work wasn't done and why was she charged $350 for basically 4 blank cd-rs.

He then challenged me on how I could possibly know whether the disks were written to or not just by looking at them. I actually stood there for a second pondering if he was serious, and when I realized he was, I asked if he could just get the Store Manager. He declined stating there was no need as he could "accurately" answer my questions. To this I replied, "If you can't tell whether a disk has been written to or not, then you can't "accurately" answer my questions". He turned around to use the phone on the counter to call the Manager, and as he did, he muttered "****ing moron" so loud even the people behind us heard it. (One lady made a complaint about it while we were speaking to the Manager)

The manager came and I explained the situation that no work had been done to the computer and that the customer was charged $350 for 4 blank disks, to which the GS guy stated, "There is no way to tell that". So I asked if they could wait a moment while I went and grabbed my tech bag from my car. They agreed. When I returned I took a burned CD out of my bag, turned it over and showed the obvious discoloration of where the disk had been written to, and how the 4 disks the customer was given showed no signs of wear. I popped out 4 or 5 cds and dvds to show the exact same discoloration where they had been written to. The GS looked like I had just shown him how to slice bread without a knife when his Manager looked at him.

I then explained that the issue was very easy to fix by changing the default email application, so I was baffled how the issue cost so much to fix, and why the system needed to be restored (when it obviously wasn't) for such a simple issue. Also why it took 5 weeks for her to get her computer back.

The Manager looked over the bill and said there was an obvious mistake, apologized and refunded my customer back her money. For the inconvenience of having to wait 5 weeks to get her system back he issued her a $100 gift card. He also gave me a $50 gift card for "taking the time to bring this situation to his attention". The lady who complained about me being called a ****ing moron was also given a $50 gift card with a very sincere apology (he really was genuine) and stated her computer issue would be repaired for free. (A CD was jammed inside the rom) When I heard this was her issue I took a paperclip out of my bag and popped it into the little hole in the front and the drive opened, getting the CD out. I asked if we could just plug it in so we could see if the drive opened, the Manger went and got a power cord, and sure enough during the boot up it opened and closed without issue. During all this, the GS supervisor mysteriously vanished from sight. Like a fart in the wind.

I thanked the Manager for his understanding on the issue, the gift card, and for his genuine apology for his GS calling me a ****ing moron. He said the "issue" will be corrected so that it never happens again, and if I had any future issues I could ask for him directly. He then asked if I would be interested in working at the store and I politely declined stating that I ran my own business and it served me very well.

This is just one of the many stories I have relating to GS, but since it was the most recent, I thought I would share it.

I am glad I am a Geek, just not one who works for GS, if I don't know something I'll look it up online, or post to a forum, or go to a local computer shop, although the one I used to work in a while ago I was the most computer literate person there.

Here is the problem:

very interesting story, thanks for sharing