Kim Peek dies.

Kim Peek, the inspiration for the Academy Award-winning 1988 movie 'Rain Man,' died of a heart attack Saturday at age 58, according to the Deseret News of Salt Lake City, Utah, Peek's home. He was known as a mega-savant who had mental handicaps but also an heightened ability to memorize and recite massive amounts of information.

Part one of five:

The man was a hero to autistic people everywhere.

:(

So sad he passed. May he rest in peace.

I never got to ask him what the meaning of life was :(.

I keep forgetting the movie was based on a specific person. Anyhow, 58 still seems young to be dying of "natural causes"

in this day and age. Bah.

A little bit of the human knowledge bank died today. So very sad. Assuming from that video his dad is still alive. Hope everything goes well, it can be very hard to adjust to somthing like that especially if thats all his dad did in the many 50 + years hes takin care of his son.

RIP

I saw the program on his life and experiences about a year ago, hwile Kim was a great person his Dad deserves a lot of credit for being there all the time, it's ironic that one of the vocal points of the program was about how he'd (not) cope when his Dad would eventually pass.

R.I.P.