Windows Explorer's breadcrumbs

I know about AveNoBreadCrumbs for Vista, but it's homepage is down and the tool doesn't work anyway.

Classic Mode is out of the question, especially since that won't change anything.

Left clicking the address bar constantly is just ridiculous.

Searching the net hasn't produced anything except the above stuff.

So does anyone know of a registry tweak or something that will disable breadcrumbs? I'd much rather see a proper path listed.

I know how to use them. I don't find them useful at all. I find them pointless given the fact that I can navigate just the same via the folder tree pane, which is what I'm used to.

Actually I've compared Breadcrumbs versus the folder tree pane. Breadcrumbs cause twice as many clicks to get to the same places because you have to click the dropdown arrow first, then the folder you want.

In the folder tree pane, I can click one time directly on the folder I want.

And to save further discussion, I didn't start this thread to discuss the merits of Breadcrumbs and whether anyone likes it or not. There are some of us who simply don't like it at all and feel that it's a case of Microsoft fixing what wasn't broken.

What the hell are breadcrumbs?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see what they are now.

EDIT2: Colin-uk, thanks for pointing out Explorer++, I am loving it!

Edited by Cy-Kill

I've probably tried every Explorer alternative out there at least once and always go back to Win Explorer. Maybe it's time I try alternatives again.

I'm tired of having to bend Windows to my will just to get rid of all the useless crap MS keeps adding.

Explorer++ looks like a great place to start. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I'm with ya, I hate having to click carefully on the address bar in order to edit the location or copy it.

I wish that AveNoCrumbs app would work on 64bit.

I also don't like having a watered down app to replace Explorer either.

Have tried to contact the developer but no replies.

I know about AveNoBreadCrumbs for Vista, but it's homepage is down and the tool doesn't work anyway.

Classic Mode is out of the question, especially since that won't change anything.

So does anyone know of a registry tweak or something that will disable breadcrumbs? I'd much rather see a proper path listed.

If you click in the Address/Breadcrumb bar, the file path is listed. Otherwise, the display in the breadcrumb bar shows the path also, just without the backslashes. Like below:

post-427-12655639463665_thumb.png

Why do you find this unacceptable/unusable/unsatisfactory? Is it simply because you are used to the old view with the backslash and so think the new way is not good? I think since it's part of the Explorer.exe and not simply a 'registry setting' it can't be changed.

Actually I've compared Breadcrumbs versus the folder tree pane. Breadcrumbs cause twice as many clicks to get to the same places because you have to click the dropdown arrow first, then the folder you want.

In the folder tree pane, I can click one time directly on the folder I want.

And to save further discussion, I didn't start this thread to discuss the merits of Breadcrumbs and whether anyone likes it or not. There are some of us who simply don't like it at all and feel that it's a case of Microsoft fixing what wasn't broken.

Actually, your whole tone at the start of the thread was you hated the Breadcrumb bar and you have to find some way of getting it off your computer.

And I think the bread crumb bar is best used for backing up the folder tree (there's no arrow clicking for that). But you're right, since the navigation pane for Explorer is always in view, it does make the breadcrumb bar's usefulness somewhat less. So, if you don't have any plans to use it, because you are just going to use the navigation pane, why do you need to get rid of it?

But don't say you didn't want to discuss its merits when your opening tone is one of almost desperation in trying to find something to disable a feature you don't use anyway.

I don't see what the fuss is about. If you click to the right of the breadcrumbs, you can copy-paste the folder path. If you click on a breadcrumb you go back to that folder (much more efficiently than with the older "Folder Up" button). If you want to jump to a folder that is a sub-folder of a particular breadcrumb you click on the arrow. Much more efficient. If you don't want to use it and use the folder tree, use that and don't mess with the breadcrumbs.

It is ridiculous to left click the address bar constantly. Why do you keep clicking it? There shouldn't be a reason to perpetually click on it.

ok, i'll try to help defend the OP's view on this one and give pros/cons in my scenario

pros:

1. easy to copy the "folder" for use
  2. easy to backtrack to a specific folder without clicking "up up up up up"
  3. looks pretty

cons:

1. more mouse movement required (annoying for touchpad or pointing stick)
  2. limited regions to begin editing of location (either extremely small folder icon area on far left or space on far right)
  3. more clicks to edit a specific part of the address (related to the previous point. i'll explain below)
  4. takes up too much space so it hides folder names when it doesnt fit

cons 3:

i gear towards being a power-user, so i like to manually type things in.

an example would be if i wanted to switch between Firefox and Thunderbird folders

C:\Users\twig\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

normally i could simply click on the "\" between "Mozilla\Firefox" and shift+END then DEL the Profiles part

but now i have to click on the limited "begin editing" regions and then move the mouse (using the touchpad mind you) and then click where i want to edit

i do use ALT+D first but honestly, i'd just rather have it off altogether primarily because of this

cons 4:

makes it difficult to compare folder content side by side without a widescreen monitor or huge resolution.

now before you reply and say "just your monitor/gfx card" in order to bump the resolution, just remember not everyone is using win7 at home.

as if you'd upgrade your work computer, and even less likely that work will provide you a nice shiny new monitor because you asked for it.

in all, my preference for disabling this stems from having to move the mouse more just to do the same amount of work.

this is due to the limited "begin editing" areas that are available.

Explorer itself is great, but I dont have the crumbs enough to resort to using a watered down Explorer clone like Explorer++.

I'm sorry WHY do you want to do this?

Just click on a blank space in the breadcrumb bar and it will show the path? Flip.

You may call yourself a "power user" but the point is, if you're a power user you can adapt to change.

This or just whack F4 and see what happens ;)

Exactly, it's not that hard, it's about adapting and embracing change, rather than complaining to people who can't do anything/don't give a crap.

Exactly, it's not that hard, it's about adapting and embracing change, rather than complaining to people who can't do anything/don't give a crap.

Good on you for adapting, but just because its changed doesn't mean its practical.

Good on you for adapting, but just because its changed doesn't mean its practical.

I find it to be quite practical. It doesn't seem like any functionality has been sacrificed - you can still click on the address bar (either the icon or a blank area) to pull up the path. At the same time, you can rapidly navigate the directory tree with single clicks.

Sorry, things change. Welcome to the age of the horseless carriage.

If you click in the Address/Breadcrumb bar, the file path is listed. Otherwise, the display in the breadcrumb bar shows the path also, just without the backslashes. Like below:

post-427-12655639463665_thumb.png

Why do you find this unacceptable/unusable/unsatisfactory? Is it simply because you are used to the old view with the backslash and so think the new way is not good? I think since it's part of the Explorer.exe and not simply a 'registry setting' it can't be changed.

Thank you. Was about to point this out, makes the whole thread pretty ridiculous.