Windows Explorer's breadcrumbs

ok, i'll try to help defend the OP's view on this one and give pros/cons in my scenario

pros:

1. easy to copy the "folder" for use
  2. easy to backtrack to a specific folder without clicking "up up up up up"
  3. looks pretty

cons:

1. more mouse movement required (annoying for touchpad or pointing stick)
  2. limited regions to begin editing of location (either extremely small folder icon area on far left or space on far right)
  3. more clicks to edit a specific part of the address (related to the previous point. i'll explain below)
  4. takes up too much space so it hides folder names when it doesnt fit

cons 3:

i gear towards being a power-user, so i like to manually type things in.

an example would be if i wanted to switch between Firefox and Thunderbird folders

C:\Users\twig\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

normally i could simply click on the "\" between "Mozilla\Firefox" and shift+END then DEL the Profiles part

but now i have to click on the limited "begin editing" regions and then move the mouse (using the touchpad mind you) and then click where i want to edit

i do use ALT+D first but honestly, i'd just rather have it off altogether primarily because of this

cons 4:

makes it difficult to compare folder content side by side without a widescreen monitor or huge resolution.

now before you reply and say "just your monitor/gfx card" in order to bump the resolution, just remember not everyone is using win7 at home.

as if you'd upgrade your work computer, and even less likely that work will provide you a nice shiny new monitor because you asked for it.

in all, my preference for disabling this stems from having to move the mouse more just to do the same amount of work.

this is due to the limited "begin editing" areas that are available.

Explorer itself is great, but I dont have the crumbs enough to resort to using a watered down Explorer clone like Explorer++.

For cons3, if you are a power user - you'd just press F4 instead of clicking. ;) A power user should be able to adapt to change easily.

Psh. I rarely navigate through explorer anymore. Go go Windows 7 indexing and search. :p

Me too. Searching is so much faster with Windows 7. I no longer need to carefully organize all my documents in specific folders. Instead I dump all the documents into the Documents Library and use the start menu search.

But don't say you didn't want to discuss its merits when your opening tone is one of almost desperation in trying to find something to disable a feature you don't use anyway.

But he did not ask about opinions on Breadcrumbs...

So does anyone know of a registry tweak or something that will disable breadcrumbs? I'd much rather see a proper path listed.

The OP stated his issue and asked a way of disabling it. It took 5 posts for people to actually respond to his question rather than replying to the OPs desire to get rid of Breadcrumbs. His opinion of Breadcrumbs vs yours is irrelevant given his question/goal of disabling it.

Wait if you don't use them and use the folder tree anyway, what possible benefit can you have to disabling it?

Hey,

He Most likely doesn't want people see were his pr0n is stored.:shiftyninja:

:laugh:

Good on you for adapting, but just because its changed doesn't mean its practical.

True, but just because it's changed doesn't mean it's worse than the way it used to be.

• 3 months later...

Wait if you don't use them and use the folder tree anyway, what possible benefit can you have to disabling it?

The answer to that question is quite simple:

HE WANTS TO KNOW WHERE THE HELL HE IS WITH A SIMPLE GLANCE. Us old-schoolers are used to being able to look up at the URL field and know EXACTLY where we're at with nothing but a glance - BEGINNING with the drive letter.

What if you're working with two folders with the same and path...except on two different drives? If you're the careful type working with backups, you need to know EXACTLY what you're copying FROM where TO when AT ALL TIMES.

When I'm working with backups, it's a pain in the ass to mess around with some stupid URL bar to be able to see where I'm at. I shouldn't have to make an extra click just to see that.

He's right. It wasn't broke. DON'T FIX IT. Plain and simple. And I both concur and sympathize with him in every way.

Breadcrumbs SUCKS and I would rather see it put to death at the gates of bloatware feature hell.

<snip>

True, but just because it's changed doesn't mean it's worse than the way it used to be.

I bet you that I could easily prove you wrong. Whatever it is that you think you can do with extra dropdowns in the URL bar, I can easily accomplish with a few clicks of the BACK button on my mouse. It'd probably take less time AND I still can't simply glance up and know where I'm at in the split second that I prefer it to take.

It's less efficient and takes more time to circumvent it's ridiculousness. Plain and simple.

Edited by Rob2687

ok, i'll try to help defend the OP's view on this one and give pros/cons in my scenario

pros:

1. easy to copy the "folder" for use
  2. easy to backtrack to a specific folder without clicking "up up up up up"
  3. looks pretty

cons:

1. more mouse movement required (annoying for touchpad or pointing stick)
  2. limited regions to begin editing of location (either extremely small folder icon area on far left or space on far right)
  3. more clicks to edit a specific part of the address (related to the previous point. i'll explain below)
  4. takes up too much space so it hides folder names when it doesnt fit

cons 3:

i gear towards being a power-user, so i like to manually type things in.

an example would be if i wanted to switch between Firefox and Thunderbird folders

C:\Users\twig\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

normally i could simply click on the "\" between "Mozilla\Firefox" and shift+END then DEL the Profiles part

but now i have to click on the limited "begin editing" regions and then move the mouse (using the touchpad mind you) and then click where i want to edit

i do use ALT+D first but honestly, i'd just rather have it off altogether primarily because of this

cons 4:

makes it difficult to compare folder content side by side without a widescreen monitor or huge resolution.

now before you reply and say "just your monitor/gfx card" in order to bump the resolution, just remember not everyone is using win7 at home.

as if you'd upgrade your work computer, and even less likely that work will provide you a nice shiny new monitor because you asked for it.

in all, my preference for disabling this stems from having to move the mouse more just to do the same amount of work.

this is due to the limited "begin editing" areas that are available.

Explorer itself is great, but I dont have the crumbs enough to resort to using a watered down Explorer clone like Explorer++.

Oh. And ALL OF THIS. Nice list there, Twig.

I'm sorry WHY do you want to do this?

Just click on a blank space in the breadcrumb bar and it will show the path? Flip.

You may call yourself a "power user" but the point is, if you're a power user you can adapt to change.

If you're a "power user" you'll find the most efficient way of doing things and STICK WITH IT.

To hell with adapting. Make IT adapt to YOU.

Clearly, you are not a power user as you would rather let IT control YOU.

<snip>

Edited by Rob2687

lol nice rant there Cyryl The Wolf.

I can understand why you got a bit fired up, but honestly, there's no point getting worked up over internet forum posts because some people might just be there to troll ya.

Don't let it get to you because you might end up looking like a jerk.

i like them, the only minor annoyance is if i am copying a path to a folder i could highlight the address bar with the location of a folder and input it as a shortcut but i rarely do that anyway.

update: nm i figured out how to do it.

Alternate shells/explorers just look too ugly in Aero.

Breadcrumbs are just fine, I make good use of them and they're quite convenient. I can get the file path when I need it, too. I can favorite the most used folders I have on the left pane, as well.

People just need to realize that the era of riding horses has ended, and we now have sports cars.

Just like the era of Windows XP has ended, we now have Windows 7. Stop trying to put a horse on the sports car, it won't work out right no matter what you do. It'll look ugly or just plain retarded.

Breadcrumb is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Classic shell sucks.

Classic shell is the greatest thing since sliced bread Windows. Those who feel users can't have other preferences than theirs suck.

• 2 months later...

Classic shell is the greatest thing since sliced bread Windows. Those who feel users can't have other preferences than theirs suck.

+1 to this, and THANK YOU SO MUCH tuxplorer, that is EXACTLY what I was looking for. One of the most annoying things to come across on a forum is when someone asks for help on how to do something, and peoples answers are "why do you want to do that", or "this is better than that, do this instead" etc... just help the guy or don't, nobody gives a **** if you don't agree with what he wants to do. Yes you can objectively measure which methods are more efficient for specific usecases, but ultimately it's about preference, and as tuxplorer implied, anything that gives the user more options to fit their preference can only be a good thing. What kind of ******* would argue with giving someone the choice to have original + extra options just because they like original best, lol. nobody is forcing you to change.

For those of us that know how to type, use env variables in paths, and other shortcuts, having no breadcrumbs definitely speeds up the experience, especially when there's a long breadcrumb taking up the whole bar. are there other ways to get the same job done- sure, to each his own.

Anyway, thanks again for posting that tuxplorer, for me this is the perfect blend of what I like about both the xp and win 7 explorer/toolbars :)

+1 to this, and THANK YOU SO MUCH tuxplorer, that is EXACTLY what I was looking for. One of the most annoying things to come across on a forum is when someone asks for help on how to do something, and peoples answers are "why do you want to do that", or "this is better than that, do this instead" etc... just help the guy or don't, nobody gives a **** if you don't agree with what he wants to do. Yes you can objectively measure which methods are more efficient for specific usecases, but ultimately it's about preference, and as tuxplorer implied, anything that gives the user more options to fit their preference can only be a good thing. What kind of ******* would argue with giving someone the choice to have original + extra options just because they like original best, lol. nobody is forcing you to change.

For those of us that know how to type, use env variables in paths, and other shortcuts, having no breadcrumbs definitely speeds up the experience, especially when there's a long breadcrumb taking up the whole bar. are there other ways to get the same job done- sure, to each his own.

Anyway, thanks again for posting that tuxplorer, for me this is the perfect blend of what I like about both the xp and win 7 explorer/toolbars :)

While I agree that it can sometimes seem annoying when people ignore the OP's request and give other advice I think that, especially in this case, it can also be quite useful. The OP asked how to switch off a feature that can't be turned off. If you read through the replies you can see that people are explaining how the feature works (the OP didn't initially make it clear that he understood the power of breadcrumbs) and how to get the best out of it.

Personally, I think breadcrumbs are a great addition to explorer but from time to time I still like to see the old address bar. I was happy to use my mouse to toggle between the two but, thanks to the posts you're objecting to in this thread, I now know that I can use F4 or Alt+D to achieve the same thing. This is a good thing.

The only thing that has really been removed from Explorer is the up folder button. The address bar is still available for use in the old way, it's just a keystroke or a mouse click away. IMO, the up folder button was an abomination and breadcrumbs are a far superior solution. In other words, those who want to keep things as they were are no worse off and those who are looking for a different (and IMO better) way of navigating are also accommodated. The current explorer gives everyone what they want.

....Or, you could, you know, just not install anything at all, and learn the shortcut ALT + D. For someone who seems to be defending the rights of choice, you seem to be pretty condescending to people who don't share your opinion either.

And you're right, no one is forcing you to change. But also, no one wants you hear you bitching about said change either.

....Or, you could, you know, just not install anything at all, and learn the shortcut ALT + D. For someone who seems to be defending the rights of choice, you seem to be pretty condescending to people who don't share your opinion either.

And you're right, no one is forcing you to change. But also, no one wants you hear you bitching about said change either.

yeah. because it's totally condescending to expect someone to just answer your question as opposed to answering something completely different and then arguing with you about why you want it. Exactly who's opinions was I being condescending to? People who think fewer options are better, as long as the option they like is included in that list? lol You're right, it's pretty hypocritical... I should be defending their choice to hate on more choices! But hey, if saying having more options is better and "to each his own" qualifies as bitching about a change, then...i guess you really called me out there, haha.

classic shell does a lot more than remove breadcrumbs (with 0 steps instead of 1...), and if you read my post you'd see that I responded as such- so the whole don't install anything, use alt+d thing can take a rest.