Reply Emails since the upgrade ...

Ever since the upgrade was completed, and for that matter since the overall upgrade because of the discrepancies/spiders/high load etc ... I am being spammed to death by neowin. I have all my notifications to subbed threads/threads I posted in set to tell me when a new post is made upon each visit to the site. Sadly since the upgrade this no longer works. I am getting a notification every single time a post is made in a subscribed thread. Thus I end up with hundreds of posts being sent to me from neowin all for the same thread. For example the "Which Atlas Theme Are you Using? thread I get a notification every single time a post is made resulting in 28 (and counting) mails being sent to my account. I find this unacceptable and sadly neowin is now being flagged as spamming on gmail. Note I did not mark it as spam, it has decided to mark it as such due to the high mails received. Thus creating a new problem of having to trawl through spam in order to get new posts :(

Can someone please sort this out?

I don't want to appear negative, but on post/mail used to be sent, not it is hundreds :( Surely adding more to the server loads?

I'm getting this too. There's an option to change your monitoring option(s), but it doesn't work - so I reported it via e-mail to the mods/admin.

I'm not receiving any more email than normal, the only thing that did happen was that the sender name changed and threw off my gmails filter to label settings, i just updated the filter and all is good again.

I agree, its annoying

just now I checked my email and mind you I haven't been on these threads sense yesterday

today I got

5 Breaking it [i'm breaking it off today..] New Reply Notification

6 [Have you ever made a 1 time donation to a website(s)?}] New Reply Notification

5 [James Cameron's Avatar in 3D] New reply notification.

5 [24 Season 8] New Reply Notification

3 [Avast! Version 5.0 is here! Antivirus & Internet Security] New Reply Notification

All of those threads I haven't even been to today. On the old forum I would have only gotten one of each.

Oh and I also got 2 New Reply Notification, which proves i'm getting 1 email per new response.

I actually don't mind it, but I am using GMAIL so it groups those messages together in 1 new message so I don't see 22 new messages like you guys.

I actually don't mind it, but I am using GMAIL so it groups those messages together in 1 new message so I don't see 22 new messages like you guys.

Actually this is a problem for me. I prefer the gmail threads to be separate for each thread on Neowin. Right now all email notifications are lumped together in one thread on gmail after IPB upgrade.

I'm trying to guess if it has anything to do with the subject formatting. Emails now have "[Thread Title] New Reply Notification", versus "Subject Here (Neowin Forums)." It's annoying and I haven't figured out how to resolve this on my end. :(

Sorry to thread jack as well :C

After IPB3, all new replies to ANY thread get lumped into one email thread on gmail :(

2010-01-24_2039.png

Before the upgrade, gmail threads only contained emails for that specific thread.

2010-01-24_2041.png

^ The first two emails are full of different thread replies and do not even correlate to the initial subject list on the email :(

2010-01-24_2041.png

^ Email replies for JUST that thread before the subject titles were changed. Which is how it should be but isn't. *sniffles*

[/threadjacking]

Can someone from the Dev's acknowledge this issue? This thread after all is in the right section (I think?)

I got 141 e-mails about the Worlds Sexiest Female thread. That's within a 24hr timeframe.

I'm pretty sure that confirms Neowin is a sausage fest :p.

I got 141 e-mails about the Worlds Sexiest Female thread. That's within a 24hr timeframe.

I just got 26 between when I went to bed and when I woke up.

I just got 26 between when I went to bed and when I woke up.

I just got 73 [The Morality of Blocking Ad's] New Reply Notification's from a thread which only has 25 some responses :laugh:

• 1 month later...

Sadly this is still happening just under 2 months on, is anyone still looking at this?

I'm pretty sure you can select in your forum profile how you want to receive notifications, which is new to IPB3

post-2-12676931031693_thumb.png

post-2-12676931063722_thumb.png

Go to My Settings > Forums and right there (in the first pic) you can set the default option for when someone replies to your topics, and then Manage watched topics & forums settings, with the same options.

Thanks for the reply, but I have that set as Immediate Notification which it has been for as long as I can remember, its just that before IPB3 only one mail would be sent until I visited the thread, whereas now you get an email every time there is a new post, so if I am not at home for a day I get 15+ messages at times for popular threads.

Thanks for the reply, but I have that set as Immediate Notification which it has been for as long as I can remember, its just that before IPB3 only one mail would be sent until I visited the thread, whereas now you get an email every time there is a new post, so if I am not at home for a day I get 15+ messages at times for popular threads.

If you read the descriptions, immediate will send out an email for every single reply. That's the one I always use, and that's how it always works, I *think* you probably want 'Delayed' to do what you're after.

I have set it at delayed and will see what happens, but I cannot see these descriptions you mention? As mentioned earlier setting the options does not seem to do anything hence the monitoring. I know everything worked fine under the last board iteration and I had exactly the same settings for notification, the options were exactly the same and nothing seems to have changed under IPB3 except getting multiple emails.

To be honest I'm on here so often that I never used the email alerts, so I couldn't tell you honestly what has changed from IPB2, but if this started with IPB3 then its logical to assume that the email alert settings have changed, or weren't remembered with the upgrade and need setting again.

After setting it to delayed yesterday I am still getting multiple notifications so it seems that as mentioned earlier that the settings are not taking, I have already cleared cookies and started again so i don't think it is anything to do with that. FYI I am using Fx 3.6 but the browser shouldn't make a difference.

Apologies for seemingly going on about it, but it is tiresome getting countless duplicate emails every few hours.

Just had 27 notifications for the buying an ipad thread and 17 for the APB thread when there aren't even that many posts in the threads, this is getting ridiculous. As mentioned I have taken on board the advice and changed to delayed and yet I am still bombarded with multiple emails if I do not visit neowin for an hour or so.

I set my options to watch all topics I reply to and send a daily email (and I often got more than a single daily email per topic). I changed it yesterday but to only watch all topics, but no email notification and got 79 emails from topic updates in the evening. :wacko:

I'll see if it happens again today or not... I turned off the watch all topics and no email notification and then checked watch all topics and left no email notifications selected.

Welp to update I am still getting a bunch of emails even though I have "No Email Notification" selected... What gives?