SCEE: Heavy Rain is

heavyrain7.jpg

SCEE has said releasing Heavy Rain is a very big ?gamble? ? but one the company has given its full support.

?Being Sony, I suppose we have a little more luxury to take a gamble on more original and innovative IP ? and Heavy Rain definitely fits that category,? said product manager, Lucy Duncan, speaking to CVG.

She furthed added: ?I suppose the risk is lessened if you have faith in the team behind the game and David [Cage] and Guillaume [de Fondaumiere] and the guys at Quantic Dreams have really impressed, not just in terms of their back catalogue ? Farenheit ? but also in terms of the tech demos they showed in the run up to Heavy Rain.?

A couple of reviews have been starting to trickle out already, with OPM, among others, giving the game a 9/10.

The game releases on February 23 in the US and February 26 in the UK for PS3.

A demo will release next Thursday.

Some new footage of the Quantic thriller got out last week, including the first nine minutes and a new trailer.

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2010/02/01/scee-heavy-rain-is-a-gamble/

Too many games, work is not that good right now and I have bills and stuff I have to pay. Dammit!!! :(

Going to get this but not this month. :(

Must resist buying with no money! :cry:

Don't worry if this reviews well which it has so far and I enjoy it I'll be moving on from my Demons Souls marketing to Neowin Heavy Rain marketing :devil:

Don't worry if this reviews well which it has so far and I enjoy it I'll be moving on from my Demons Souls marketing to Neowin Heavy Rain marketing :devil:

Surely Sony can provide you with money hats for both games? :p

i hope this game flops.. dont want this type of gameplay to catch on

Wow talk about a stupid statement to make, do i sense a little bit of xbox fanboyism in this or is it just me?

i dont want to play sims with cutscenes and qte's... and if this genre becomes popular then gaming took a hit

my opinions, and still my opinions if it was a xbox game too

Then don't buy the game - You have some serious delusions if you think every other genre just dies from one day to another.

Talk about a storm in a glass of water.

i dont want to play sims with cutscenes and qte's... and if this genre becomes popular then gaming took a hit

i kind of agree with you... i wish there was a way to turn off the UI in the game so it looks less like a qte , and more like you are somehow controlling the game

it would be up to you to figure out which button does what, when, but that's what online forums are for, right?

i kind of agree with you... i wish there was a way to turn off the UI in the game so it looks less like a qte , and more like you are somehow controlling the game

it would be up to you to figure out which button does what, when, but that's what online forums are for, right?

only time u actually control your character from what i can see is to walk. everything else has predetermined animations

blah, i'd rather watch a movie

only time u actually control your character from what i can see is to walk. everything else has predetermined animations

Then go watch a movie? lol.

i wish that they'd make it look even more like a movie, as in no button icons on the screen telling you what to press to do what etc etc... you'll just sit down, with the controller in your hand, and if you press the wrong button at the wrong time (and you have no idea) you character will do something stupid , but if you wait for the right moment, something amazing happens...

that's how i like to see it, with no UI elements whatsoever, imagine all those game guides and walkthroughs and discussions popping up on the internet, it couldve been great imo

This isn't a new genre, it's an evolution of point and click adventure games. If story focussed titles like this become a hit, which they are unlikely to, it would be a good thing for the industry seeing as everyone is always whining about sequels and no one taking risks, then a developer does and it's back to moaning at the developer for not making an FPS instead.

The game focusses on story first, then gameplay, and to get cinematic gameplay you need to have predetermined animations (in this genre that is, most of the time).

Plus you guys still don't know the difference between a QTE and this, QTE typically lead to failure or success, rinse/repeat till you reach success, in Heavy Rain everything only leads to success, it just changes the story.

i wish that they'd make it look even more like a movie, as in no button icons on the screen telling you what to press to do what etc etc... you'll just sit down, with the controller in your hand, and if you press the wrong button at the wrong time (and you have no idea) you character will do something stupid , but if you wait for the right moment, something amazing happens...

that's how i like to see it, with no UI elements whatsoever, imagine all those game guides and walkthroughs and discussions popping up on the internet, it couldve been great imo

Nah one thing I'm very happy about are the UI elements in this game they are very minimalistic, only pop up in proximity and make sense. Not huge glowing objects or anything stupid.

The game needs some user friendliness about it.

Plus I really like the small touches as when you have an action of responses they swirl around your head, but if your character is stressed/in danger, they swirl and blur, small touches like that are (Y)

The game needs some user friendliness about it.

its precisely this user friendliness that is causing the negative reactions from people... imagine if you will, a nice place on the other side of a canyon.... Heavy Rain belongs on this nice place on the other side, but in trying to reach us with user friendliness, it falls into the canyon...

i'd rather that they stop at these 'small touches' when it comes to user friendliness, and subliminally teach us how to play the game, rather than the blatantly game-like icons popping up on screen... it ruins the experience pretty badly, imho... by their very nature, these info icons take the center of attention, and when you break people's attention span like that, they are bound to not like it

let me clarify what i think... with no UI whatsoever, the player might be tempted to simply mash the buttons on the controller, but every single button press has an effect on-screen, and unjustified inputs will quickly end the game(all playable characters get killed), while players who exercise more care will progress in the game

its precisely this user friendliness that is causing the negative reactions from people... imagine if you will, a nice place on the other side of a canyon.... Heavy Rain belongs on this nice place on the other side, but in trying to reach us with user friendliness, it falls into the canyon...

i'd rather that they stop at these 'small touches' when it comes to user friendliness, and subliminally teach us how to play the game, rather than the blatantly game-like icons popping up on screen... it ruins the experience pretty badly, imho... by their very nature, these info icons take the center of attention, and when you break people's attention span like that, they are bound to not like it

No it's not, it's people not used to an experience like this and/or people not understanding the difference between a QTE and what's going on here.

This game is simply an evolution of adventure point and click games.

As I've said already the icons are context sensitive, only appear when you're near something you can interact with so I don't really know what your issue is, the user needs to somehow know they can interact with something when they're close to it. From the videos it is really close as well, a lot of the time you walk around with nothing on screen.

It's the most minimalistic UI I think could of been done with this game, as there's no mouse pointer...I'm actually really impressed with the interface, as you can see with some of the actions as well a light grey progress bar fills the square to show you completing it correctly.

As I've said already the icons are context sensitive, only appear when you're near something you can interact with so I don't really know what your issue is, the user needs to somehow know they can interact with something when they're close to it. From the videos it is really close as well, a lot of the time you walk around with nothing on screen.

its not the context thats the problem, its the icons...

they couldve done something like make the character look at important things in the scene, and make the character animate in a concise way as to convey the context to the player (bending over a drawer as if to open it, etc)

or apply some camera effects like zoom, blur, colour blending, etc to simulate emotion when seeing something which brings back the characters' memories, and the effect is largest when the camera is pointed straight at the object....

or they could 'attract' the camera into facing an object and make it hard to look away, to simulate something attention-grabbing...

or any number of types of cues and methods, other than relying on icons... its very unimaginative, and imho its a flaw of videogames in general to rely on explicit iconography , rather than context-driven symbolism

its not the context thats the problem, its the icons...

they couldve done something like make the character look at important things in the scene, and make the character animate in a concise way as to convey the context to the player (bending over a drawer as if to open it, etc)

or apply some camera effects like zoom, blur, colour blending, etc to simulate emotion when seeing something which brings back the characters' memories, and the effect is largest when the camera is pointed straight at the object....

or they could 'attract' the camera into facing an object and make it hard to look away, to simulate something attention-grabbing...

or any number of types of cues and methods, other than relying on icons... its very unimaginative, and imho its a flaw of videogames in general to rely on explicit iconography , rather than context-driven symbolism

All of that is just cumbersome, mimicking humans is the hardest thing to do in the gaming realm, so the challenge of this game itself is hard enough. It's a take upon real life, real thoughts, a believable scenario. No aliens, no imaginary monsters, nothing supernatural, no glittering objects, no George Stobbart pockets.

The game would be a huge pain in the arse of trial and error if I had to constantly watch the characters head swivel around like a roundabout trying to figure out what I can/can't interact with, really dislike your idea. It's still a game, it's only mimicking real life as best it can, not trying to BE real life, I at least want some gamey components so I can enjoy it.

The icons themselves are suitable for the type of game this is played on a controller, not a PC, the most imaginative part is how you select dialogue, options swirling around your head - Then as I said in some tension rising situations they blur/move faster. Instead of how say ME/Fallout does it's interactions, every stops, camera zooms in on faces and you select a/b/c in your own time with no pressure.