Windows 8 coming in July 2011

There is 8 core versions in the pipeline soon.

it's not what they currently cannot do it's the point of giving us something newer and more reliable/secure. i remember hearing years ago that windows was suppose to get an updated filesystem and we never did. im just saying it would be nice. i do want a total overhaul of the UI though.

There was never going to be a new file system - it was going to be NTFS with an SQL database sitting ontop to index the metadata to speed up searching.

Regarding the UI - it could easily be solved if they moved all the bundled applications to WPF/Direct2D/DirectWrite and simply leaving the old files there only for backwards compatibility but none of the bundle applications (or any applications by Microsoft) actually using them.

it's not what they currently cannot do it's the point of giving us something newer and more reliable/secure. i remember hearing years ago that windows was suppose to get an updated filesystem and we never did. im just saying it would be nice. i do want a total overhaul of the UI though.

Newer != better (usually) in the programming world. Older code has stood the test of time, been exposed longer so more bugs have been found and fixed.

New code is untested over a long period of time, so would have more bugs and plenty of stability and security issues.

Stuff I would like to see (not windows specific):

- Better interop between C++ and C#

- If not that then an easier way to program a GUI in C++

- Provide a way for other applications to distribute updates though windows update

Otherwise I'm quite happy with windows

I'd be fine with a 2 year release schedule if they didn't charge $300 for the OS. If They charged no more than $150 for the OS, didn't have different versions and did away with upgrade/full versions I couldn't complain. Though somehow I feel like Microsoft has incredibly too much power in the PC industry to let them try to set up a subscription model. I'd provide an example, but the government usually steps in before a company has this much power in their industry.

What do you want from the filesystem or kernel that they don't currently do?

I would like to see them get rid of FAT/32 and NTFS as they are terrible filesystems.

*NIX has it right, no fragmentation... no registry...

At least get rid of those 2 things, and I would be happy.

High-ended Xeon unfourtantly , not desktop part

There are 8 core CPU's from AMD on the way in 2011.

?Scorpius? is an enthusiast-class desktop platform featuring the ?Zambezi? CPU, the first 8-core solution for enthusiast desktop users based on the ?Bulldozer? core.

Source

Ill stay with 7 as long as I stayed with XP. Seeing how Vista was a screw up, if they do come out with 8 so early, its gonna be bad too, imo.

I just didnt like Vista. To me, when I saw 7 in beta and what it was, it was XP looking Vista. The speed performance etc that vista was suppose to have is in 7. The speed of xp that is. Then you get the Vista look which I never hated but hated the whole operating system as a whole. Installing 7 was a big deal for me and move, and so far ive been loving it.

Ill stay with 7 as long as I stayed with XP. Seeing how Vista was a screw up, if they do come out with 8 so early, its gonna be bad too, imo.

I just didnt like Vista. To me, when I saw 7 in beta and what it was, it was XP looking Vista. The speed performance etc that vista was suppose to have is in 7. The speed of xp that is. Then you get the Vista look which I never hated but hated the whole operating system as a whole. Installing 7 was a big deal for me and move, and so far ive been loving it.

people complint that vista was late

and now they compliant that too soon too release? :huh:

i for one i believe it would be released by the end of '11 (that will feel about right 2.5 - 3 year cycle)

the whole windows 8 thing is just stupid. I mean the best by far is xp because it was the only one that was compeletly from scratch unlike what they are gonna do and so no one is gonna like it. I think Microsoft is doing this whole thing cuz of the ipad and that is just stupid. They have to start from scratch!!!!!!!!!!

I think Microsoft is doing this whole thing cuz of the ipad and that is just stupid.

you fail..the ipad has zero effect on windows whatsoever. microsoft isn't even worried about it.

the whole windows 8 thing is just stupid. I mean the best by far is xp because it was the only one that was compeletly from scratch unlike what they are gonna do and so no one is gonna like it. I think Microsoft is doing this whole thing cuz of the ipad and that is just stupid. They have to start from scratch!!!!!!!!!!

XP wasn't built from scratch it is based on windows 2000 which is based on NT4.5 ......

EPIC FAIL!

This is not to fast. This is right on track with Microsoft's goals. They want windows to become a subscription service just like anti virus programs. This is the start they want to do a 2 year roll out between OS's and then eventually a pay service. This has been discussed on this site before. This short time frame is not a big surprise.

The moment that Windows becomes a paid subscription service I'm gonna be laughing my ass off at all those "windows (l)users" while I can still use my PC FOR WHATEVER I WANT and with WHATEVER APPS I WANT without paying per-hour and per-app and WITHOUT HAVING MY DATA CENSORED by MS.

I heard from reputable sources that they will replace Aero with this "highly productive, highly proffessional, completely boring and uncustomizable" GUI.

I'd be fine with a 2 year release schedule if they didn't charge $300 for the OS. If They charged no more than $150 for the OS, didn't have different versions and did away with upgrade/full versions I couldn't complain. Though somehow I feel like Microsoft has incredibly too much power in the PC industry to let them try to set up a subscription model. I'd provide an example, but the government usually steps in before a company has this much power in their industry.

Don't underestimate MS's ability to bend the goverment and laws to their will. By 2011 windows users will be paying montly per-app and anything they wirte that Steve Ballmer doesn't like will magically "disappear" (along with the user, who will meet an unexplained "accident").

By 2011 windows mac users will be paying montly per-app and anything they wirte that Steve Ballmer Jobs doesn't like will magically "disappear" (along with the user, who will meet an unexplained "accident").

Like Apple and their App Store?

Well you haven't tried vNext(Windows 8) yet so you really can't make any valid assessments.

Windows 7 is certainly an excellent Operating System, proving itself to be worthy as successor to both XP and Vista. As much as i find the prospect of having Windows 8 alpha's to play with, i think that it is too soon to release a new Operating System. People are only just starting to trust Microsoft again after Vista, let Windows 7 do its job.

• Like 1

Windows 7 is certainly an excellent Operating System, proving itself to be worthy as successor to both XP and Vista. As much as i find the prospect of having Windows 8 alpha's to play with, i think that it is too soon to release a new Operating System. People are only just starting to trust Microsoft again after Vista, let Windows 7 do its job.

i agree

it's not what they currently cannot do it's the point of giving us something newer and more reliable/secure. i remember hearing years ago that windows was suppose to get an updated filesystem and we never did.

NTFS has seen substantial updates over the years. It has not remained unchanged since it was designed in the 1980s, like some people think.

Regarding the UI - it could easily be solved if they moved all the bundled applications to WPF/Direct2D/DirectWrite and simply leaving the old files there only for backwards compatibility but none of the bundle applications (or any applications by Microsoft) actually using them.

Well, that would be far from easy. WPF would mean having to port all the code to a managed language, and that is never going to happen. There is a reason why no part of Windows is managed (with the exception of parts of Media Center, if you count that as part of Windows.) It's going to stay the same for Windows 8 as well. They tried it once, and it was one of the biggest mistakes in Microsoft's history.

As for Direct2D and DirectWrite, well, you can make some limited use of them, but one is a raw graphics API and the other ia text rendering API. There is one important part missing here, and that is a new GUI framework. Windows is sorely missing this, largely because of Microsoft neglecting the native world during their failed .NET adventure.

I agree with the underlying meaning though. The old and new can and should coexist.

I would like to see them get rid of FAT/32 and NTFS as they are terrible filesystems.

*NIX has it right, no fragmentation... no registry...

At least get rid of those 2 things, and I would be happy.

"*NIX" means nothing in that context, because the various Unix and Unix-like operating systems use a whole range of wildly different file systems that have nothing to do with each other. Second, common Linux file systems like ext2 do in fact suffer from fragmentation as well, although they deal with it differently and have little ability to report it.

As for the registry, I do not think you understand what you're asking for. The registry is a raw database, nothing more. If you got rid of it, Windows would still have the store the exact same data somewhere else. Where do you want it? A SQL database? Jet Blue? Tens of thousands of plain text files (remember that Windows makes extensive use of access control)? What would any of these options accomplish other than reducing performance?

Or is your actual complaint about the structure of the OS data Windows stores in the registry? Well, that is a separate matter. If that was going to be changed, substantially changes would have to be made to Windows, and you would have to be willing to lose all backwards compatibility (unless you want to add a new compatibility layer, radically reducing performance even further). This data is not even intended to be human-readable.

Or could your complaint perhaps be about third-party software storing private data in the registry? If so, you need to complain to the application creator.

How long are you willing to wait? Are you willing to wait until 2020 for this new OS to reach a mature level?

Microsoft has never started from scratch. XP was not new, it was an updated version of Windows 2000, which in turn was an updated version of NT 4. This goes all the way back to when NT was first designed in the late 1980s. Actually, it goes further back, since much of NT is directly based on older versions of Windows going back to the mid-1980s, as well as MS-DOS. Most of Windows 7 was designed in the 1980s.

Taking it to the extreme, MS-DOS was in turn "inspired" (some might say shamelessly copied from) by CP/M, and CP/M dates back to the early 1970s. It, in turn, borrows DEC concepts from the 1960s.

I still think it's too soon for Windows 8.

Today, yes. Second Half of 2011 isn't today. That's almost a year and a half away. That isn't too fast at all... It is on pace with their historical trends.