Portal

So.. I just beat Portal ... in 3 hours and 47 minutes.

I haven't played it since the day it came out.

I did it on my UStream as well.. so I had friends watching the whole time.. :rofl:

• 3 years later...

If you have updated your hardware *since* you got Portal (especially if you have upgraded your GPU at least once), check your settings - for some reason, Portal does NOT use the same settings as other Valve games (even other Source-engined games) - this slapped me in the face when I fired up Portal earlier this afternoon.

I hadn't played Portal since I was still running an x32 flavor of Windows - specifically, XP MCE 2005.  To put that in perspective, that was four CPUs, three GPUs and five Windows operating systems ago.

Portal's levels - most of the time - don't have a time factor; however, they do make you think - which is, after all, the whole point.

Still, even at the noticeably understated settings (1280x720 and low-to-medium detail) Portal looks good.

I'm going to have to crank the settings UP a few notches when I go back in later today.

The reason I revived the thread was to avoid starting a new one for the same game.

After all, the subject is Portal - not Portal 2.

Some of us that may have actually HAD Portal a few hardware upgrades (especially GPU upgrades) ago likely have not gone back and played it (or even looked at it) since said upgrades - I pointed out that I hadn't played Portal since I had originally gotten it, back when I was still running XP - albeit MCE 2005.

That is, in fact, the biggest (at least to me) benefit of services like Steam (or Origin, for that matter) - you don't lose your games when upgrading your hardware, not even when doing a complete hardware replacement.