LCD vs. LED monitor

I'm looking into getting a 24' monitor (upgrade from my 17' LCD Sceptre) Not sure if I should get a LED or LCD and how the LED responds to gaming compared to the LCD.

LED is just the backlight. probably it's a Sidelit monitor unless you're really going to spend a lot.

basically it's not going to react any different.

Get a decent IPS panel monitor and it'l make a much bigger difference than the backlight.

Also don't bother with silly 2ms panels. as long as it's a properly measure less than 16 or a badly measured 8 ms panel it'll be more than enough. and you won't lose color quality, due to subpixels that never have the time to fully change color before they're blanked out again.

I can tell a HUGE difference. have a Dell IN2010N 20" TN LCD panel and a 15.6" Dell Studio with LED 1080p display and the difference is just amazing! like the whites are PURE white on LED, compare to the yellowish tints a TN/LCD give and its far far brighter and sharper IMO.

So, although it would be wrong to claim that LED backlighting has no advantages, those advantages do not affect the image quality. The only indubitable high of LED-based monitors is their lower power consumption, but their image quality won’t be any better until the manufacturers switch from the white edge backlight to other technologies. And I have doubts that this will occur in near future because edge backlighting is cheap while the more advanced alternatives are far more expensive.

Summing it up, you should only deliberately look for a LED-based monitor if you care about power consumption. Otherwise, you should base your choice on other parameters, ignoring the type of backlight altogether.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/monitors/display/lcd-monitor-buyers-guide-spring2010_3.html#sect0

LED stands for light-emitting diode. It's used as backlight for newer LCD monitors and it's quite popular with laptops because of its energy efficient design. Most LCD monitors use CCFL for illumination. CCFL stands for cold cathode fluorescent lamp. For gaming, you'll want an LED-backlit LCD monitor. It offers better (and more even) illumination.

I've been pretty disappointed in my search for a good panel at a reasonable price. Where are the good true 120Hz, IPS, LED displays with a HDMI input? They don't seem to exist.

I don't think color accuracy/quality is improved by LED. The only true win with LED is thickness/power consumption. The type of display is much more important than its backlight, especially since LED ones are still edge lit.

The color gamut might be improved by LED , but the panel used has much more impact on colors.

I currently have the LP2475W (H-IPS) and colors are great. Not too expensive (500$). Good for gaming or whatever.

Easy to calibrate even without expensive tool like spyder pro... (I apply settings recommended at tftcentral, and then use provided software for more precise adjustment).

The screen is bit thick though.

I wouldn't care for LED screen , unless they have as amazing colors as my H-IPS.

The color gamut might be improved by LED , but the panel used has much more impact on colors.

I currently have the LP2475W (H-IPS) and colors are great. Not too expensive (500$). Good for gaming or whatever.

Easy to calibrate even without expensive tool like spyder pro... (I apply settings recommended at tftcentral, and then use provided software for more precise adjustment).

The screen is bit thick though.

I wouldn't care for LED screen , unless they have as amazing colors as my H-IPS.

LCD uses liquid crystals. they don't generate any light of their own so they need back lighting which "washes out" the colors creating a poor contrast ration. an LED each pixel is an individual LED light, because of this it requires no backlighting and the contrast is near perfect, also it would be significantly thinner and require far less energy to run. The only downside to LED TVs is a relatively short life span and high cost.

LCD uses liquid crystals. they don't generate any light of their own so they need back lighting which "washes out" the colors creating a poor contrast ration. an LED each pixel is an individual LED light, because of this it requires no backlighting and the contrast is near perfect, also it would be significantly thinner and require far less energy to run. The only downside to LED TVs is a relatively short life span and high cost.

I was under the impression the LED life span is longer then LCD. You mentioned LED TV, is there a difference between TV and monitor for PC.

+1

No! From wikipedia:

LED-backlit LCD television
(called
LED TV
by
and
and not to be confused with true
) is an
that uses
rather than fluorescent lights used in traditional LCD televisions.

The LEDs can come in two forms, Dynamic RGB LEDs which are positioned behind the panel, or white Edge-LEDs positioned around the rim of the screen which use a special diffusion panel to spread the light evenly behind the screen.

All TVs and monitors on the market are CCFL-backlit LCD, LED-backlit LCD, or plasma. Plasma is what you are describing, where each pixel is it's own light emitting cell. There are also OLED tvs which are basically only prototypes or are very expensive. They act much the same way as plasma, each subpixel generates its own light.

http://www.lumex.com/en/tech-notes/article/selecting_the_right_display_for_white_goods_applications

Not sure how much if any of this applies when it comes to gaming PC monitors. I found the info interesting along with all you guys and you expertise in this area.

LEDs

Since LEDs are solid-state devices, they are mechanically rugged, with the ability to handle shock and vibration levels far in excess of what would ever be experienced in a white goods application. They offer high visibility across the full range of ambient light levels, from total darkness to direct sunlight. They can be made very large, with intense brightness levels, and they provide a virtually unlimited viewing angle. Operating life is in excess of 100,000 hours, and 'failure' consists of a drop in brightness level to 80 percent of its initial value. Since they still function at this point, it is classified as a non-catastrophic failure.

Operating temperature range is -40°C to +85°C, ample for any white goods application. However, where even higher maximum temperatures are experienced, Lumex does offer some LED displays with a +105 °C temperature rating.

LEDs are available in a large number of colors including red, green, blue, orange, or yellow. They are also available in 2-color ('bi-color) and full-color ('RGB') versions.

Power consumption is on the order of 10 mA per LED. While this may be high for some battery-powered applications, it is not an issue for white goods. The drive voltage for LEDs is approximately 2V DC, which may possibly require voltage-conversion circuitry in a typical 5V environment.

Although the basic LED dies or 'chips' are quite small, there is a limit regarding how small the packaged LEDs can be made. This means that LEDs cannot be used for small displays where intricate characters (Chinese/Japanese) or detailed graphical elements are needed. (As an aside, RGB LED graphic displays can easily be created for signage, scoreboard/stadium monitors, and other large-size applications.)

For comparison purposes with the other display technologies, a typical 4-digit green LED display costs roughly $2 each in production quantities.

LCDs

LCDs can be made to display virtually anything, from simple numerals to complex Chinese/Japanese characters, to full graphics. Visibility can be very good in areas with bright ambient light. They are available in monochrome and full-color versions.

Some of the classic characteristics of LCDs are not a factor when it comes to usage in white goods applications. For example, LCD power consumption is very low in the microamp range; great for battery-powered devices, but not an issue with line-operated washers and dryers.

Passive matrix and monochrome LCDs have a temperature range of approximately -30°C to +80°C, narrower than LEDs, but still more-than-adequate for virtually any usage on white goods. However, if they are used in stoves or ovens, they should be protected or isolated from high temperatures of +70°C or more. Seven-segment LCDs can have a typical operating temperature range of -40°C to +85°C, depending on how they are driven.

Other considerations when using LCDs in white goods include: Their glass packaging is slightly more breakage-prone. They need an external light source ('backlight') to be visible in locations with very low ambient lighting. As you move from a 7-segment numeric display to a passive matrix display to an active matrix color display, the viewing angle decreases.

The operational life of a typical 7-segment numeric LCD is approximately 80,000 hours.

For comparison purposes with the other display technologies, a typical 1” LCD panel (no driver circuitry; just the LCD device itself) costs roughly $1 each in production quantities. Passive monochrome character or graphic modules range from $3 to $8 depending on type and quantity. Passive color (CSTN) modules can cost close to $30 each.

ComparisonDisplay.jpg

I can tell a HUGE difference. have a Dell IN2010N 20" TN LCD panel and a 15.6" Dell Studio with LED 1080p display and the difference is just amazing! like the whites are PURE white on LED, compare to the yellowish tints a TN/LCD give and its far far brighter and sharper IMO.

lol, comparing a TN panel to anything. Of course it's going to suck.

You are thinking of an OLED screen. An "LED" screen like the actual TVs you can buy today, a lot of newer monitors, and most newer laptops, is an LCD screen. Instead of fluorescent tubes, it uses LEDs, and definitely not one per pixel.

1: NO Led screen today has one led backlight for every pixel. even big screen tv's with backlit LED generally have 1100 ish LED's.

2: backlit LED screens, like most monitors. don't have the LED's behind the pixels, but as the name suggest, along the side of the screen, using a disperison material to evenly disperse the light.

LED monitors are LCD monitors, but with LED Backlights. Pure LED TV's are only used for giantrs sports arena TV's and they don't look good untill you're at least 10 meters away :p even then they don't look as good as a regular tv.

LED tv's have the same lifespan as a CCFL backlit tv.(monitor). HOWEVER. LED's die at an uneven rate. and thus LED monitors may end up having uneven backlight strength over time.

LED's die at an uneven rate. and thus LED monitors may end up having uneven backlight strength over time.

So its different for every LED monitor you might buy. You never know when the backlight will start to get dimmer over time. Any stats out like after one year you loose 10% - two years 20% for example? As I quoted before from http://www.lumex.com...ds_applications

" Operating life is in excess of 100,000 hours, and 'failure' consists of a drop in brightness level to 80 percent of its initial value. Since they still function at this point, it is classified as a non-catastrophic failure. " somewhat confusing.

Since there's so many leds in every display, even sidelit. it probably averages out to the same for the panels that use the same quality LED's anyway.

The problem is when the individual of all the LED's in the panel starts dimming differently.

of course in the end LED's never go less bright than 50%

Get a H-IPS panel, don't bother with LED, unless you are particularly interested by the thickness of your screen.

And as some people said ; LED is not the same as OLED don't make the confusion.

• 1 year later...

And Blacks are grey?

Bravo on the useless definition. We are not talking about LED screens. We're talking about LCD with LED back-lighting.

**** sucking corporations will have you believe with their marketing that LED TVs are here, but they are not. Read the fine print which clearly says "LCD with LED back-lighting". There is only one OLED screen to date - Sony XEL-1 - which is not in production anymore.

Purely LED screens have way way better pixel quality, brightness and contrast ratios than LCD screens. They also do not require any stupid back-lighting.

There won't be a purely LED TV until the ******** have sucked every single dollar out of their current LCD technology.

And Blacks are grey?

No the problem is that he's equating Brighter with whiter. and blacks would be exact the same on both, well actually they could be more grey on led due to the higher light output causing more leak.

which again is the main problem with LED, Edge ghosting, Light Bleeding, Degrading light life (yes , LED's have a longer lifespan, however that lifespan, depending on manufacturer, is counted to anything from 20-50% of original light output. in Screens I would assume most go for the higher 50%. and LED's degrade over their entire lifetime, so while it takes longer for the LED to get to 50% than for the CFL to die, it's constantly getting weaker over that time. More improtantly, the individual LED's don't degrade at the same speed. Causing more issues with uneven backlights than LED's have to start with. No LED ha sa truly even backlight. remember the LED's are on the side, and use a diffuser plate to spread the light "evenly", no diffuser plate is THAT good yet.

True backlit monitors are a different matter of course, though they still suffer some of the same problems with degrading LED's over the lifetime. but Back Lit ones are generally really high end monitors and thus also use much higher quality LED's and may also have an end of life of the LED's take at 80% as opposed to 50%. meanign they are mush slower to degrade to start with.

btw most LED's run on a much cooler color scale, and you often can't even adjust them to a warmer tone, since they usually use cold/blue LED's for the appearance of "whiter" white's, though in reality's they're just brighter and more blue. for long time in front of the computer, you don't want a bright screen and you want warmer tones, which are also more true to real colors.

Purely LED screens have way way better pixel quality, brightness and contrast ratios than LCD screens. They also do not require any stupid back-lighting.

LED is not the same as OLED.

as for OLED, it gives good dynamic contrast (black blacks and White whites) however, it lacks on real contrast (which also includes the levels between these). pixel qualiy is the same though, a pixel is a pixel is a pixel, unless it's a SAMOLED with PenTile. (meaning anything form Samsung except the new SAMOLED+, and since samsung pretty much makes all SAMOLED's that makes all of them, though they're still only used on cell phones and some cameras).

OLED for now is fine for the regular home users who first thing they do on a new TV/Screen, is turn on dynamic contrast if it isn't already, then crank up the color setting to max for those extra vibrant colors that want to stab your eyes out. and maybe ad just a bit more contrast and brightness again, to make sure they can use the TV to light up the room, while not having anything bright colors and shadows and no grey tones in between ruining their picture :)

• 1 month later...

I'm looking into getting a 24' monitor (upgrade from my 17' LCD Sceptre) Not sure if I should get a LED or LCD and how the LED responds to gaming compared to the LCD.

We are shining display, we offer lots of monitor and LCD touch screen...

Like the company name, Shining has focus to keep shining together with all our partners. How to keep shining and get win-win status with our partners, it goes without saying that we make particular demands upon our partners? competences, we indeed pursue enduring relationships. Below follows a brief description of four elements that determine whether we can keep shining together.

Quality:

Our clients expect top-quality LCD displays, deservedly, that is why we exclusively work with raw-material suppliers that pursue the same quality standard. In this way, we together achieve a magnificent result. Also shining members include sales, engineers, purchaser, QC and manufacturing workers are clearly understand, that high quality will make us stronger in the market, high quality will reduce our management cost and obtain more confidence from our clients. We never compromise on the quality issue.

The quality control is based on following points:

*Inspect the right materials and parts from our suppliers (IQC)

*Inspect the correct production techniques, test and the flow of the production (QC)

*Test the main character of half made or final products according to our own test standard, international standard, and customer's requirement (QC)

* Aging all displays at least 24hours (AGING)

*According to order request, checking the colors, quantity, inner box, stickers, shipping marks, side marks packing, and the whole packing?s of products (QC & sales checking)

Timing:

We respect our clients? deadlines on delivery. We cooperate with our clients to try our utmost to meet the same. Therefore, we keep the good relationship with our suppliers, and we expect our suppliers to be able to change gears quickly. And all shining members have to work at the same speed of clients? schedule. We care what we promised and what clients? need.

The delivery for shining display is different for following:

*Ready design & stock: within 3days for delivery

*Ready design & no stock: Within 10 days for small quantity, 15-20days for bulk order

*OEM & ODM: 2weeks for the prototype. 15-25 days for mass production.

*Different quantity takes different time, check the exact with our sales.

Service:

Our service concept is honest and trust, always double check and follow up. Based on good communication with our clients, Shining sales are open-minded to ask professional questions on clients? detailed requirements, catch the ideas and thoughts, and give the effective response to our clients. We keep our clients informed for all order procedures step by step by sending related photos and messages. We always double check which clients required by checking the colors, quality, inner box, stickers, and shipping marks, etc. We know what we shall care for our clients, which kind of service our clients need is ?clients eyes? here.

Not only the service to get and follow the orders, but also the after-sales services are reflecting that we are shining. We focus on following points to supply comprehensive service:

*We supply 1-3 years warranty since shipment date based on different products.

*We supply 1%-3% key spare parts for swap in case we don't have reselling partnership in the geographic area.

* We promises to provide lifetime maintenance for the products, and assist clients to settle the technical problems or malfunctions when use and install the product.

*Our sales team is always online to keep the good connection and communication with clients, we have MSN, SKYPE, and TRADEMANAGER for fast problem inquiring and solving. Provide explicit response to all inquiries and complaints until customer is totally satisfied.

Passion:

We love people who completely go for it. And what could be more fascinating than working together with people that just like us want to keep the world shining. We love our Shining Display, as it assists all of our clients get full benefit by using this; we love our job, as its great achievements when our clients are satisfied with our products and services; we like all chances, as it make us better and stronger; we like shining, and sincerely hope to share our charming and shining to all of our clients and suppliers.