Belgian newspaper insults Poland

i apologize if this isn't the format that news should be.. but honestly.. i'm soo ****ed off right now to even make it look proper..

Poland is disturbed by a Belgian newspaper?s cartoons on the recent deadly plane crash, in which died Polish president Lech Kazcynski, his wife and dozens of Polish political, cultural and religious elite.

On Monday, Gazet van Antwerpen published a cartoon picturing an eagle (Poland?s? emblem) with the Polish flag as a background and phrase "The Eagle Has Landed," reports www.rmf24.pl. The drawing has drawn infuriated feedback from Polish speakers all over the world.

The Wiadomosci.wp.pl website published an article on the cartoon headlined ?Belgian newspaper sneers over the Polish tragedy.? On internet forum and blogs, reactions have run the likes of, ?A civilized world cannot presume to do such doings,? to ?I?m hurt. They have no right to publish such things,? to ?Very sad. It?s a derision of Poland.?

??Gazet van Antwerpen? insults Poles? feelings,? says Lublin.com.pl.

The RMF.fm radio has called for protest of the newspaper.

source

can someone help me find the contact info on www.gva.be which is the newspaper's website? google translator just crashes on my computer when trying to translate this page.

As much as I do feel for Poland with its recent tragedy, I don't see any offence intended in the quote below? Am I reading it wrong? Or was it translated incorrectly?

On Monday, Gazet van Antwerpen published a cartoon picturing an eagle (Poland?s? emblem) with the Polish flag as a background and phrase "The Eagle Has Landed," reports www.rmf24.pl. The drawing has drawn infuriated feedback from Polish speakers all over the world.

sorry for the sizing...

i'm Polish... so to me this is like a slap in the face.

if only i could get contact information i would email the newspaper to let them know what i think of their humor. Insult to injury is the editor has said he has nothing to apologize for.

post-48355-12712681724379.png

post-48355-12712681819798.jpg

sorry for the sizing...

i'm Polish... so to me this is like a slap in the face.

if only i could get contact information i would email the newspaper to let them know what i think of their humor. Insult to injury is the editor has said he has nothing to apologize for.

It's funny because the eagle from the flag has crashed into the ground.

It's funny because the eagle from the flag has crashed into the ground.

not to start a fight here, but if they put the tube logo with a timebomb on the british flag after the tube bombings in london... would you find that funny too?

not to start a fight here, but if they put the tube logo with a timebomb on the british flag after the tube bombings in london... would you find that funny too?

I can tell you aren't a cartoon satirist.

That's pretty nasty, i'm all for black humour but that doesn't even contain any humour :/

I can tell you aren't a cartoon satirist.

That reply doesn't make sense.

At the very least this is poor taste. How would you react if something similar was made as a derision of the 9/11 attacks? A tragedy is a tragedy, show some respect.

As much as free speech enables this drawing to be made, it enables people to protest and demand excuses.

That reply doesn't make sense.

It does. You're just upset that you don't understand the joke.

At the very least this is poor taste. How would you react if something similar was made as a derision of the 9/11 attacks? A tragedy is a tragedy, show some respect.

As much as free speech enables this drawing to be made, it enables people to protest and demand excuses.

Weren't comedy channels taken off air immediately after 9/11? Comedy wasn't allowed.

Weren't comedy channels taken off air immediately after 9/11? Comedy wasn't allowed.

The Daily Show was still on, but I don't think they did any comedy.

Ahhhh...The usual 'this is free speech' Vs. respect argument. Grow up people, this is very inconsiderate to say the least.

signalpirate, I assure you that people will say dumb **** all the time. Just let it go. If people are respectable enough they would understand how offensive this is, but they aren't mature enough.

It does. You're just upset that you don't understand the joke.

My apologies, i re-read your sentence and it does make sense, however your comment that i 'just don't understand the joke' is wrong. I understand the joke completely just think it's ****ing stupid and not funny in the slightest.

Black comedy and pushing the boundaries is what drives humour to greater laughs however here's my breakdown of this satirists thought process...

1) Oh dear, a Polish plane crashed killing several important political figures.

2) Ooo the Polish flag has an eagle on it.

3) Ooo there's a famous quote "The Eagle has landed".

4) Wow i put the two together and created amazing satire! I'm so awesome.

They're are not awesome they're an idiot.

Clever satire is good saitre... This is neither.

Take your assumptions that i didn't understand something and insert them somewhere moist and dark.

Edited by Colin-uk
please dont bypass the swear filter - thanks.

The Daily Show was still on, but I don't think they did any comedy.

Ah now you see that is silly. Yes it was a terrible incident but a good laugh and PMA is what gets people through such a crises.

My apologies, i re-read your sentence and it does make sense, however your comment that i 'just don't understand the joke' is wrong. I understand the joke completely just think it's ****ing stupid and not funny in the slightest.

Take your assumptions that i didn't understand something and insert them somewhere moist and dark.

I didn't mean to upset you, and I'm grateful for your demonstration that you did understand the joke (I deleted it). I hope it made you feel better.

As I've said above, forced mourning is insulting. I wouldn't want to insult the people that died by forcing it on people. The OP demonstrates a clear lack of understanding of the power of humour and its connotations. I'd extend that assertion to you, but I don't want to cause any more upset.

I didn't mean to upset you, and I'm grateful for your demonstration that you did understand the joke (I deleted it). I hope it made you feel better.

As I've said above, forced mourning is insulting. I wouldn't want to insult the people that died by forcing it on people. The OP demonstrates a clear lack of understanding of the power of humour and its connotations. I'd extend that assertion to you, but I don't want to cause any more upset.

The thing is i do agree with you in many ways. There is nothing worse than being told what you can and can't have a laugh about and many would say this is the best example of when a government tries to control its people.

I however just didn't find this particular example funny but this is my opinion and not the opnion of everyone :)

Oh and don't worry about inserting it somewhere dark and moist... me and my potty mouth, my apologies.

The thing is i do agree with you in many ways. There is nothing worse than being told what you can and can't have a laugh about and many would say this is the best example of when a government tries to control its people.

I however just didn't find this particular example funny but this is my opinion and not the opnion of everyone :)

Oh and don't worry about inserting it somewhere dark and moist... me and my potty mouth, my apologies.

I think it's fine to be offended by it and fine to find it funny, or just be indifferent. I do, however, take issue with people wanting to stop it simply because they find it offensive.

People often fail to see the importance of humour in cases like this, and in a knee-jerk reaction they polarise the issue. That isn't a good light to asses complex situations.

People often fail to see the importance of humour in cases like this, and in a knee-jerk reaction they polarise the issue. That isn't a good light to asses complex situations.

yup.. well then i'm a failure as i fail to see a reason as to why i should laugh at a national tragedy. show some f-ing respect and maturity. what you are basically saying is no matter how tragic a situation.. any situation (not just this as an example), you should be able to find a reason to laugh at it.

obviously enough people out there "failed" since the newspaper received so many complaints that it has since apologized and removed the drawing.