Photo

Do you prefer longer or shorter games?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you prefer longer or shorter games?

Do you prefer longer or shorter games?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Hani

Hani

The Comedian

• 4,019 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 18:03

Longer games, if they do it right.

#2 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

• 36,394 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 18:06

Longer games, if they do it right.

Yup, this.

SP > MP for me except for a few titles (WoW/TF2).

Although I enjoy local MP in things like FIFA.

#3 Richard Hammond

Richard Hammond

Neowinian Senior

• 6,575 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 18:08

Long, especially open world games where i can do what i want in any order i want.

#4 qdave

qdave

Neowinian Senior

• 16,161 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 18:08

It depends..with games like Mass Effect or HL2 i wanted moar! But some games are nice when short, like Cod world at war, or wolfenstein.

#5 +LightEco

LightEco

Neowinian Senior

• 1,621 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 18:09

I prefer good games. Portal was short and I loved it, while Oblivion was huge and I loved it. It just depends.

#6 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• 6,175 posts
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 14 April 2010 - 18:10

I like a combination of both. A long game to keep me entertained over night when I'm home alone with no-one to see, and some short ones with Multiplayer (e.g. TF2) that I can dip in and out of just to entertain me after a long day at work.

#7 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,328 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 18:10

Longer. Short 10 hour games aren't worth the money.

#8 Sethos

Sethos

The Neowin Pessimist

• 21,958 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 18:11

I'm starting to lean towards shorter, as most games these days are repetition and grinding even great games quickly turn sour as it's hard to maintain that element of
surprise and freshness, so everything quickly becomes a chore and feels like the developers just added some more levels with even more enemies, just to prolong the game than try to
innovate the game as you progress. I do enjoy long games, when they are quality from start till finish and they manage to keep an immersive atmosphere but they are so far and few in between.

So honestly, I tend to quickly complete a game to get it out of the way and focus on Multiplayer - The only place where true challenges can be found and where you can use tactical skill to outsmart
enemies. Outsmarting some crappy AI doesn't really give you the same adrenalin boost.

#9 Singh400

Singh400

Neowinian Senior

• 5,839 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 18:12

Depends. Bioshock, GoW series, CoD4 & CoD6 were just the right length. But BF:BC2 was too long and dragged on.

#10 Jan

Jan

It's not a Navy boat, it's a Gravy boat

• 4,025 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 14 April 2010 - 18:17

A variety, but I don't like TOO short games (MW2) and TOO long games (Buffy the vampire slayer: Chaos Bleeds), they need to be just right.

And a good amount of achievements/trophies.

#11 Massiveterra

Massiveterra

◕ ◡ ◕

• 3,601 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 18:18

People cry about short games, but nothing irks me more than when a game makes me say "is it over yet?"

Quality > quantity.

A 4 hour movie is not better than a half hour movie. Same goes for games.

I would have easily paid more money for Portal.

#12 Kvally

Kvally

Neowin Veteran

• 5,911 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 14 April 2010 - 18:21

Depends. Like Mass said...quality vs. quantity.

#13 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• 10,463 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 14 April 2010 - 18:24

I'm starting to lean towards shorter, as most games these days are repetition and grinding even great games quickly turn sour as it's hard to maintain that element of
surprise and freshness, so everything quickly becomes a chore and feels like the developers just added some more levels with even more enemies, just to prolong the game than try to
innovate the game as you progress. I do enjoy long games, when they are quality from start till finish and they manage to keep an immersive atmosphere but they are so far and few in between.

So honestly, I tend to quickly complete a game to get it out of the way and focus on Multiplayer - The only place where true challenges can be found and where you can use tactical skill to outsmart
enemies. Outsmarting some crappy AI doesn't really give you the same adrenalin boost.

I agree with you on that part, but really don't see a point in playing a game quickly to get it out of the way. It's like screwing a nasty woman just because you have the option to. :laugh:

#14 Sethos

Sethos

The Neowin Pessimist

• 21,958 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 18:27

I agree with you on that part, but really don't see a point in playing a game quickly to get it out of the way. It's like screwing a nasty woman just because you have the option to. :laugh:

Funny but doesn't make sense, you buy a game that turns out to be a bit of a smelly affair, Single-player wise or you know it'll be primarily an MP game for ya' then I still want to complete it but why
would you want to take your time or make an effort? Just get your money's worth and bail.

#15 Ayepecks

Ayepecks

Neowinian Senior

• 17,987 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 18:45

I don't like my porridge too hot.
I don't like my porridge too cold.
I like my porridge just right.

I don't want a game that takes me months to beat. But I don't want a 5-hour game, either. I think most games get it right.