Phantom Router Appearing in Win7 Network

When I open "Network" on Win7, I see a WRT160N router listed under "Network Infrastructure", along with my own wireless router, which shows up as a Rosewill 802.11n Wireless Broadband Router.

My Rosewill router didn't appear until I enabled UPnP in the router itself, as expected. However, the WRT160N has always been there, even though I don't have one that is physically connected to my network.

Occasionally it will disappear from the list of network devices, then come back later.

I searched Google for this a few months ago and found I'm not the only one who has this phantom router appearing, but there was no solution. I searched again tonight but could't find those old threads.

I'm guessing that it must be a nearby wireless router?

But why would it show up in "Network Infrastructure" if I've never added it as a part of my network?

It's probably no big deal, but it does bug me that a router I don't own or use is being detected by Win7 as a part of my network. Makes me wonder if something isn't secure somewhere, enough though I'm sure all the settings are optimal.

Anyone else seen this?

Any ideas?

In the network map, hover your mouse over it and get it's location. When you are in that map it should show how and where it's connected to the network.

In the network map, hover your mouse over it and get it's location. When you are in that map it should show how and where it's connected to the network.

When I go into the map, all I see is Internet, then my own router, then the three computers on my home network.

Don't see the WRT160N in there, even though it WAS showing in the Infrastructure list just before I opened the map.

Do you have encryption enabled for your network?

Yeah I have WPA2 encryption enabled.

I should also mention that when I bring up the properties for this phantom router, I can see the MAC address and Unique Identifier numbers.

But If I double click to configure it, it asks me for a PIN.

can you post a screen shot of this, and what is the mac address it is saying it has.

• 2 weeks later...

It might be the router - ie your one - I know that the BT Home Hub would should twice for some reason under two different names.

Anyone else seen this?

Any ideas?

I had a weird problem, where my Router would be occasionally detected twice under 2 different SSID. Not sure why, i never looked into it.