Meet Firefox 4.0.1

Stylish not working... I'm on the 4.0 beta 2 nightly as mine says... Why is it Beta 2... When the Menu is still not working! I'm annoyed at having to use the menu to update or change big settings since the new menu is too small and lacks everything.

Because ... it's a beta build. And not even a public beta.

Well I thought I'd try the beta 1 to have a look , and sadly I have to say I'm not impressed at all.

Just my opinion of course .. and I realise it's a beta .. but this can't be near a public release surely ...

Well I thought I'd try the beta 1 to have a look , and sadly I have to say I'm not impressed at all.

Just my opinion of course .. and I realise it's a beta .. but this can't be near a public release surely ...

It's not, tbh. There's still a couple of months to go.

Is Mozilla skipping version 3.7 ? When do we expect to get a real public beta 1 of FF 4.0 ?

Yes 3.7 is skipped as it has been renamed as 4.0 now. Beta 1 will likely be out within 2 weeks.

That's a candidate build, might not end up being the "final" beta.

that's right. if you read the following:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases/Firefox_4.0b1

there could be a 2nd candidate build of Firefox 4.0 beta 1 coming very soon.

Yes 3.7 is skipped as it has been renamed as 4.0 now. Beta 1 will likely be out within 2 weeks.

yup. AND the gecko version number of candidate build 1 of FF4b1 is now 2.0b1 instead of 1.9.3b1.

they've also renamed the gecko version number of the 4.0b2pre nightlies as well (to rv:2.0b2pre).

no more gecko 1.9.3.x.

app tabs are so wide O.o is there a way to fix this?

How do you get that? I only have the tabs as they looked in 4.7a6pre... except its branded firefox instead of minefield.

app tabs are so wide O.o is there a way to fix this?

The same thing happens with me and FaviconizeTab, it's rather annoying :(

I've made my tabs a little smaller, but I still want FaviconizeTab to work, or a similar addon that works.

capturefx.png

wth is taking so damn long? Jesus, take a hint from the Chrome guys and start rolling out the updates, they are dragging their feet with this release aren't they?

wth is taking so damn long? Jesus, take a hint from the Chrome guys and start rolling out the updates, they are dragging their feet with this release aren't they?

not really, they're completely redesigning the UI and this is their first experience going into the titlebar

there's a lot of reprogramming to be done and a lot of mistakes to be learned from and bugs to fix

i'd say their rate of progression is reasonable for what their doing

I agree.

The UI itself should not be taking this long, and in reality should have been completed to the standard of the mockups a long time ago.

• Like 1

I agree.

The UI itself should not be taking this long, and in reality should have been completed to the standard of the mockups a long time ago.

Yup, especially considering what you managed to do laugh.gif

• Like 1

How do you get app tabs in 4.0 beta 1?

i don't think it's truly implemented yet

i think people are just using an extension atm

I agree.

if you think it's so easy why don't you do it yourself

it's not as easy as you think, with every little thing that they change brings the possibility of a bug or and issue that they'll then have to fix, it's a long and grueling process of much trial and error

Thanks! :D

i don't think it's truly implemented yet

i think people are just using an extension atm

if you think it's so easy why don't you do it yourself

it's not as easy as you think, with every little thing that they change brings the possibility of a bug or and issue that they'll then have to fix, it's a long and grueling process of much trial and error

I'm talking about the theme itself, and if you think I'm not familiar with the process you're mistaken.

(Y) And the new titlebar design shouldn't be used as an excuse, look at how quickly Opera inplemented their design.....

• Like 1

(Y) And the new titlebar design shouldn't be used as an excuse, look at how quickly Opera inplemented their design.....

Yup, and what's taking them so long to implement the options within the menu is also beyond me. SoapyHamHocks can add an option to one of our menus in seconds if needed.

• Like 1

Yup, and what's taking them so long to implement the options within the menu is also beyond me. SoapyHamHocks can add an option to one of our menus in seconds if needed.

Perhaps they don't want to do it fast, they want to do it right. Sounds clich?, but quite likely true.

Perhaps they don't want to do it fast, they want to do it right. Sounds clich?, but quite likely true.

exactly what i was trying to say, better to take your time and do things right then throw it together quickly and have tons of bugs

exactly what i was trying to say, better to take your time and do things right then throw it together quickly and have tons of bugs

I understand your opinion, but because of BoneyardBrew and SoapyHamHocks, there isn't too much of an incentive for me to move to a less stable Firefox pre-beta, when my 3.6.6 looks almost exactly like these current builds.

There are not tons of bugs. The remaining bugs are few and do not effect stability. The Public Beta should be out tonight or tomorrow.

There are not tons of bugs. The remaining bugs are few and do not effect stability. The Public Beta should be out tonight or tomorrow.

He saying that if they did try and rush development there would be lots of bugs. Not that there are currently.

FWIW, there are a fair number of bugs/issues in beta 1, but few are major. (This is me managing expectations)

I don't even think the current Firefox menu is staying, I think they're going for a Office style split menu.

I personally wouldn't like a Chrome style update system, Chrome gets features rushed out that can then break (like WebSockets, the spec changed in a breaking way, so the current Chrome release can't talk to servers implementing the current spec, which is needed for Firefox 4 and dev builds of Chrome)