Meet Firefox 4.0.1

*sigh* Starting to look like no RC tomorrow. Monday still looks promising.

Just wondering, does Minefield finally have autoupdate like chrome or do you still have to manually download the latest build from the trunk each time?

just like chrome, go to help > about

probably no RC build today but tomorrow there is still a chance because the one blocker is estimated to land 3/4/2011 and the other hopefully isn't hard to fix.

*sigh* Starting to look like no RC tomorrow. Monday still looks promising.

Just wondering, does Minefield finally have autoupdate like chrome or do you still have to manually download the latest build from the trunk each time?

I don't know about autoupdate since I've turned that off, but Help > About > Check for Updates does a differential update < 3MB at least for the last few Minefields.

I don't know about autoupdate since I've turned that off, but Help > About > Check for Updates does a differential update < 3MB at least for the last few Minefields.

that's only if you get the update each day, if you miss an update or two it will download the entire update, around 26mb or so

They look sharper and crisp compared with the current rounded tabs they have now.

Yeah, they also look a bit bigger, which I don't mind.

that's only if you get the update each day, if you miss an update or two it will download the entire update, around 26mb or so

Does it only autoupdate once per day or just whenever you manually go to help>about>update? Obviously it wouldn't make sense for it to update hourly for stability and bandwidth concerns.

They look sharper and crisp compared with the current rounded tabs they have now.

Rocking the new square tabs. Definitely easier on the eye now and gives a few pixels of clicking space on the tabs.

Does it only autoupdate once per day or just whenever you manually go to help>about>update? Obviously it wouldn't make sense for it to update hourly for stability and bandwidth concerns.

the auto update doesn't work for the hourlies, only the nightly builds, so it will update once a day

and i usually just go to help>about>update because i don't use the browser enough to know if it will just update automatically

Okay, I'll make it a point to check daily till the stable is shipped.

the auto update doesn't work for the hourlies, only the nightly builds, so it will update once a day

and i usually just go to help>about>update because i don't use the browser enough to know if it will just update automatically

Makes sense.

Okay, I'll make it a point to check daily till the stable is shipped.

Will do the same. Curious to see how it works.

It's not really clear to me from the bug page. Are they eventually reducing the tab height in a later Firefox, (5?) or something?

i have no idea, I just added that stylish code someone posted on the last page and I'm happy :)

the next triage is at 11:30 PST and if there are 0 blockers like there are now than RC will be built today. there are 0 nominations as well so the chances are pretty high of it being ready to be built :)

I think this is more of an issue with Windows, but it really annoys me:

(The little white squares around the edge of the loading bar)

Yeah, you've discovered one of the 1,339,042 quirks of the Windows API. Developers can paint Windows controls without the opaque background, but then they have to re-implement the entire functionality of each control, which kinda defeats the purpose of using the API in the first place. That's what Chrome does; everything from the window border to the Min/Max/Close buttons are individually drawn using the same images that Windows uses internally.

looks like 3.6's days are outnumbered for me :) cant wait for RC soon and i like the new tabs after using them for several hours now i have gotten used to them.

I'm fine with how they look, and I can sort of get used to the new tab height if I think about how it's still thinner than a maximized Explorer window (Windows explorer, not IE.) if I use small icons and disable the bookmarks bar. But that's really not what we should be measuring against.

For all the talk about every little pixel saved with the new inteface, it's a little ironic to see it some of it blown away at the last second thanks to bigger tabs, lol.

What the hell did they make the tabs larger for? They look horrible.

Here Mozilla goes again, changing things just for the sake of change.