Meet Firefox 4.0.1

not really sure why they are calling change system requirements page a hardblocker does not really sound like it is something that is going to prevent them from releasing the RC ?

What the hell did they make the tabs larger for? They look horrible.

Here Mozilla goes again, changing things just for the sake of change.

Did you miss the last twenty posts where various people said they like them?

Alright, you liked the previous ones. Which didn't match Fx3.6 anyway. You evidently don't speak for everyone. And you can customize it back if you must.

My personal view: I'm happy with it. The extra height might be just a little too much, but that's v minor.

they sure are taking there time with that one last blocker :sleep: if you can even call it a blocker really. just update the site by the time RC1 is out for public, plain and simple.

they sure are taking there time with that one last blocker :sleep:

If you're talking about the system requirements page update, I'm sure that's not really going to block RC. And just because the rest is zero doesn't mean it'll get built immediately - they do a review first.

If you're talking about the system requirements page update, I'm sure that's not really going to block RC. And just because the rest is zero doesn't mean it'll get built immediately - they do a review first.

They will probably build tonight like they did for beta 12 and yeah the triage hasn't happened at 11:30 PST yet.. if 0 blockers are at that time we are ready to go!

canweshipyet.com now says "more or less"

YES! :)

mozilla-central is CLOSED for Firefox release candidates

Per the triage meeting today, mozilla-central is now CLOSED so that

release engineering can prepare Firefox 4 release candidates. This means

that NO CHANGES may land, even things which may have Firefox or Mobile

blocker flags.

Rob Sayre is preparing a plan for the mechanics of how we reopen the

tree for both pending changes for Firefox Mobile 4 and new work for

Firefox 5. This includes all the related details about how we manage

nightly testers, branching, feature landings, and the schedule. Until

this plan is finalized, the tree will remain absolutely frozen.

Please direct any followup to mozilla.dev.planning.

--BDS

http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.planning/browse_thread/thread/9ddc565363b05692#

Wow, I miss all the fun. I was alone when the square tabs landed. My two cents: I don't like the height but...

1. It's square, better than rounded.

2. Obviously, there are a lot more people who wanted the extra space, and.

3. Since it's firefox, we can customize it, so it's a win win for everyone!

Thanks Heartripper! :woot:

Thanks Heartripper! :woot:

you're welcome! :)

one great problem i have with the new tabs is that now everything else in the chrome seems too rounded for me. i've already reduced the border radius of the navbar so that it's the same as the tabs, but also buttons and the location bar seem to rounded. :/

Firefox 4.0rc1 build notes page has gone live :) which means it's being built now. Could see first rc1 build tonight? I bet this will be the only build too based on what happened with beta12.

I'll just be happy if they finally fixed that annoying bookmarks menu display issue, which someone claimed wasn't in one of the recent nightlies.

It sure has. Beta 12 is pretty great despite the small bookmarks display issue I mentioned, and sometimes it seems like smooth scrolling is not where it should be yet. Even using the Yet Another Smooth Scrolling extension. It still sometimes feels jerky. I also wish they would give us an option to have a second bookmarks toolbar if we want without having to use an extension. All the current extensions are incompatible with version 4. Will the RC have the speed increase and recent changes that have improved memory considerably? The people that have used the nightlies say they really improved in those two key areas. Also, they say thumbnails load quicker in Panorama. Will that be in the RC? Are they ever going to officially call it Panorama, or will it forever be known as Group Your Tabs? Thanks if anyone can answer some questions!

I must say I'm impressed with the recent progress. It was slow with a lot of missed dates during the mid betas, but they really cranked out 12 and the RC, and they're amazing.

Been using the betas since 1 and some of the nightlies here and there, and I am absolutely thrilled that the RC is effectively here.

They've got round that bookmark display issue by displaying the sub-menu *next* to the first menu rather than sitting on top of it .. hope that makes sense!

It doesn't make sense, but thanks for replying! So, it will be fixed in the RC then? What about the memory usage that is supposed to be decreased in the latest nightlies? Also, thumbnails are supposed to load faster in Panorama. I hope those fixes made it into RC!

Anyone using the awesome TabGroups Manager extension know how to make your TabGroups auto-save? So when you close the browser and then open it again, all the same tabs should load within their groups. I see an export group option, which I assume might do it. Does that auto re-load it when you re-open the browser, or do you have to do it manually? I should clarify my statement. It does do what I want it to do when the session restore feature is on, but if you drag a tab off into its own window, then close that new window and go back to your original Firefox with all your grouped tabs, it won't remember that setting when you close it and re-open it. Instead of loading all your same tabs, it'll start fresh and open a TabGroup named Start. I don't want it to do that. Any fix for that?