Photo

Neowin Tapatalk feature

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
59 replies to this topic

#1 Jase

Jase

It's like..Kablammo!

Posted 01 July 2010 - 18:09

Can an administrator or developer please enable neowin to work with tapatalk app?

What is tapatalk you ask? Check here: http://www.tapatalk.com/

My current issue:

Posted Image

Would be amazing if I could browse the forums with this app. This works with allmost all smartphones!

#2 Timan

Timan

Fade Away...

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 01 July 2010 - 18:32

We already have a nice iPhone optimized version of the site. Plus not sure it's cool you have to pay for that app just to browse other peoples forums.

#3 OP Jase

Jase

It's like..Kablammo!

Posted 01 July 2010 - 18:35

iPhone optimized, yes but this is for all smartphones.. Also it's free for forum staff to setup.. Just not free for the app itself.

What can hurt?

#4 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 01 July 2010 - 18:36

iPhone optimized, yes but this is for all smartphones.. Also it's free for forum staff to setup.. Just not free for the app itself.

What can hurt?

What's the benefit of using Tapatalk instead of the mobile version of Neowin in the web browser?

#5 OP Jase

Jase

It's like..Kablammo!

Posted 01 July 2010 - 18:39

What's the benefit of using Tapatalk instead of the mobile version of Neowin in the web browser?

Here is what tapatalk have to say

Q: What's the point of this app if my members can access my site with mobile skin at no cost?
A: We received a lot of feedback from users that they want a dedicated app on their smartphone. Most users are contented with the mobile skin or a standard web browser but some of them would appreciate a full-on native app on their phone. For example Tapatalk app allows user to upload photo directly from their phone to your forum as an image attachment. We are also rolling out Push Notification support so it helps your members to stay in touch with your forums while on-the-go.

#6 DaveLegg

DaveLegg

Coderator at heart

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 01 July 2010 - 18:43

Another reason is that Mobile Neowin has adverts, whereas through this app, we would get no revenue.

#7 OP Jase

Jase

It's like..Kablammo!

Posted 01 July 2010 - 18:47

Another reason is that Mobile Neowin has adverts, whereas through this app, we would get no revenue.

I thought guest could see ads in posts? So this would not really kill the revenue

#8 amon91

amon91

Anonymous

Posted 01 July 2010 - 22:51

Build support for it, even if it might seem redundant. The more exposure we have, the more likely we are to be known, and the more ways we make available for people to browse the forums, the more traffic we'll have. I say build support for it, at least try. Can't hurt, right?

#9 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 01 July 2010 - 22:56

^This.

#10 morphen

morphen

Northern Neowinian®

• Phone: HTC One S, Galaxy Note 2

Posted 01 July 2010 - 23:02

I would say support it, but only for subscribers. I think tapatalk is cluttered. i prefer the iphone optimized version, hell, you could call it smartphone optimized, workes like a charm on dolphinbrowser on android :)

#11 OP Jase

Jase

It's like..Kablammo!

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:19

Well? the verdict?

#12 deadite66

deadite66

Neowinian

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:47

i hate tapatalk don't want to pay to be able to post on a forum, anyway with smart phones screens getting bigger its just as easy to use the desktop version.

#13 Joshie

Joshie

Wandering NPC

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:56

LOL at the old man-ish "if you can do it the old way just fine, why bother with a new way" responses. Hey, in my day we had to walk through the snow to get to Neowin forums--up hill, both ways! While fighting off Nazis! And we liked it!

From someone who actually uses Tapatalk (the free version), I prefer it over launching the web browser. It's very fast, throws me right into a forum with very few taps and manages to feel more finger friendly than mobile skins. I don't really use it for making posts (and the free version doesn't allow that anyway), but it gives me a very quick way to keep up with a thread I might be following in case there's info that matters to me (specifically, I use it for XDA and some other Android related forums).

There is no reason not to enable it. And I admit, I've done the search for Neowin on it before, too. Was a little disappointed not to find it. :)

#14 Rudy

Rudy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:30

Sounds like a pretty lame app :/

#15 OP Jase

Jase

It's like..Kablammo!

Posted 02 July 2010 - 15:21

Besides the fact that some of you think this app is useless (to each their own) I personally find the tapatalk experience far more better than using the website itself..

I don't see how this can effect users if there are no ads, it's like not even 5% of users with tapatalk anyways.. Big deal?

I can tell you right now that as I reply in this thread using neowin's mobile ready site it has been hard scrolling in the fast reply box, formatting and deleting.

Come on staff enable tapatalk! It's just what 5 mins of your time? What is the harm?