[Solution] Firefox fileinxt.com google redirection

Question

This particular problem seems to be pretty common around the internet. It affects only Firefox. When a computer accesses google.com or sometimes yahoo.com after a few moments the machine will be redirected to fileinxt.com. Most Antivirus, or malware scanners can't seem to pick this one up.

Solution

This little critter installs itself into the folder c:\document and settings\(username)\local settings\application data\EA3AA2E9-BCBF-481A-B198-8E7D100D2FC4} (That long number will usually never be the same). If you see more than one folder in the application data directory with a funky number for a name, explore them both. The one you want will with have a chrome sub folder inside. This lets you know you are inside a firefox plugin folder, though its not where firefox usually stores its add-ons. Once you verify that the folder contains the chrome sub directory, you can delete it. That should solve the problem entirely.

4 answers to this question

You can get the 'long number' by looking in your Firefox profile and opening extensions.ini

You should see a line there that points to it. All you need to do is remove that line.

Firefox profile is located: C:\documents and settings\$YourUserName\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

Also, I just looked this up and it seems malwarebytes removes this without a problem. So just run it.

GUID

True, but i'm writing this guide for everyone. If I tell someone look for folder with a GUID, the average user will ask "uh...WTF". So I just call it a "Long number" (even though I guess there are letters included)

Hmmm. I had a problem just like this with Firefox, being re-directed to Fileinxt.com. I tried a ton of different things, un-install, re-install, scan with AVG 2011 and Malwarebytes, my two go-to's. Nada. I already had Adblock Plus installed in Firefox, so I just added the re-directed address, Fileinxt.com, to my filter list. End of problem. It also affects Chrome, Opera, and IE unless IE is set to let you select encrypted content only when you access a secure site, which Google or Yahoo would be if you are signed in to either of them.