I think the most likely case is that ArenaNet's .dat file system for storing gamedata is probably grossly inefficient.

Valve's Source engine games used to employ a system of one big monolithic archive file (GCF) with select files extracted to the regular filesystem. That system was deemed slow and replaced by the current VPK system.

I think the most likely case is that ArenaNet's .dat file system for storing gamedata is probably grossly inefficient.

Valve's Source engine games used to employ a system of one big monolithic archive file (GCF) with select files extracted to the regular filesystem. That system was deemed slow and replaced by the current VPK system.

That makes more sense to me.

So i did the new perma-world boss earlier(the wurm) and we failed it quite badly. Only getting of the the three heads you have to kill in like 10 mins or so down to about 80%. Hopefully it's just due to it being early on in the update and not due to it being another tequatl.

So what is every ones opinion on that new mining pick with it's chance to give sprockets? It seems like anet is taking baby steps towards making the game pay 2 win and they are testing the waters to see what they can get away with.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/wvw-spring-2014-tournament/

Instead of WvWvW season 2 Anet has decided to do it tournament style instead. The wording for how it works is extremely ambiguous and raises great cause for concern. Before the tournament starts they really need to give people a reason to stay on low pop and to transfer to low pop servers or we're gonna end up with 3/4 of the games population on the top 3 servers.

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno, GW2 and XIV are both rather fun, but I like the fact that I can always go back to Guild Wars 2 when I feel like it. No damn sub fees, and the game doesn't feel like gimped garbage as a F2P title might feel.

You really can't lose with GW2 and there's loads to do. Really, I'd say find friends or communities to join up with depending on whatever game you play. Always more fun than going it alone.

• Like 1

GW2 is fun for a bit, but I never really got into it.  I got to like level 35 or 36 and found myself bored.  All I was doing was going through the starting areas of all the other classes because I was too low level to progress through my story.

Not really a fan of being able to do everything on all characters.  I prefer the standard class style where you play the role you picked when creating the character.  

There are some fun things to GW2 (events being one of them) but more often than not now adays you end up just doing events alone or ignoring them completely.  Rift really kicked things off with the event system (GW2 has borrowed it in a way, as has FF XIV, and in some cases even WoW).  

However, I find myself constantly going back to WoW.  I have FF XIV on PC and downloaded/played the beta for PS4.   It's a fun game, but I haven't gotten far enough to say if it is better or not.

GW2 is fun for a bit, but I never really got into it.  I got to like level 35 or 36 and found myself bored.  All I was doing was going through the starting areas of all the other classes because I was too low level to progress through my story.

Not really a fan of being able to do everything on all characters.  I prefer the standard class style where you play the role you picked when creating the character.  

There are some fun things to GW2 (events being one of them) but more often than not now adays you end up just doing events alone or ignoring them completely.  Rift really kicked things off with the event system (GW2 has borrowed it in a way, as has FF XIV, and in some cases even WoW).  

However, I find myself constantly going back to WoW.  I have FF XIV on PC and downloaded/played the beta for PS4.   It's a fun game, but I haven't gotten far enough to say if it is better or not.

You should be glad you never got to finish your story missions. It's pretty much the most anti climactic thing I've ever experienced in any form of media ever.

The personal story was supposed to be a big thing in GW2 with lots of choices and so on but really it's the worst part of the game. Most people finish it just so they don't have the text on their screen because there's no way to turn it off. That coupled with the fact that after about level 40 all the races share the same story so if you finish it once there is no need to do it again.

If I had to say what the main thing to do in GW2 would be now..it's world vs world and zerging living story events.

You should be glad you never got to finish your story missions. It's pretty much the most anti climactic thing I've ever experienced in any form of media ever.

The personal story was supposed to be a big thing in GW2 with lots of choices and so on but really it's the worst part of the game. Most people finish it just so they don't have the text on their screen because there's no way to turn it off. That coupled with the fact that after about level 40 all the races share the same story so if you finish it once there is no need to do it again.

If I had to say what the main thing to do in GW2 would be now..it's world vs world and zerging living story events.

Yep. That's the only reason i finished it on my main.

• 3 weeks later...

And this pretty much confirms account wide WvW XP will not be happening until some time after the tournament.

izhPFTH.jpg

Good job anet, keep up on your failing.

:rofl: Anet has this horrible tendency to announce things way before they should.

Makes me seriously doubt we're going to see the rest of the stuff they promised in the infamous "second half of 2013" blog post. Seeing how we're almost 1/4 of the way through 2014..

Sounds nice and all, but it seems like it might #### up game balance until level 80. People already hate doing dungeons with characters that aren't 80. If I'm understanding this right it's going to change the power curve to enforce that mentality even more.

Apparently they're also going to be announcing more new features up until the 15th of April.

I'm kinda wondering what kinda of things they'll make us do to be able to unlock traits if we don't want to buy them now. And if any of those things might end up being a pain in the ass.

I'm kinda wondering what kinda of things they'll make us do to be able to unlock traits if we don't want to buy them now. And if any of those things might end up being a pain in the ass.

Some of the screens show that you need to visit certain points of interest, defeat certain veterens or events.  It's meant to feel somewhat like capping elite skills in Guild Wars 1.

If you don't want to do that, you can just buy the traits from the class trainers.