345 posts in this topic

Posted

Holy crap so excited for this!!!!

The trailer teased a return to the underwater failed Utopia of Rapture, first seen in 2007's BioShock. But last night, we saw BioShock Infinite in action, a live demo. This next big thing from Ken Levine's Irrational Games is something different.

This is the BioShock of a floating city, of America in 1912, of a helpful damsel in semi-distress and of something called the Skyline.

"The time for silence is over," said Ken Levine, creative director of Irrational Games to a room full of reporters at New York's Plaza Hotel on Wednesday night, seconds before the BioShock Infinite trailer began. We were a controlled audience, our laptops and cell phones confiscated before we entered a small ballroom and sat in front of the stage and screen from which Irrational would show its new project. The news vans outside the hotel had not been for BioShock Infinite but for controversial Democrat Congressman Charlie Rangel, whose birthday party was one story above and whose House ehtics investigation is ongoing.

Levine's team is one of the most acclaimed and secretive in game development. Since the '07 BioShock, which they made in partnership with 2K Australia, Irrational gave no hint about what they were working on, no clue that they were making another BioShock. They were not involved in this year's BioShock 2, which was created by several sister studios and was set in that undersea city of Rapture. But Irrational, which had, for a time, been known as 2K Boston, is indeed back on the franchise and allowed Wednesday night for their new trailer tease briefly that they were back on the virtual ocean floor.

Their trailer begins with a camera swoop across what appears to be ocean bottom, past an iconic BioShock Big Daddy. But that's just a trick, a look inside the fishtank of a man on the place where BioShock Infinite is really set, the early-20th century airborne crumbling metropolis of Columbia.

A 19th Century 'Death Star'
What I saw

Posted

I'll wait this out for now, the best thing about Bioshock was the city of Rapture, its atmosphere and the great story that came with it till like the last half an hour, it was different and it was new and it was awesome.
From the trailer and what I've read thus far, it looks alright, but I'm in no way as interested in Columbia as I was in Rapture, and I'm feeling pretty "meh" about it, but I will wait and see what comes from it, and I will no doubt get it when it eventually comes out anyway, lol.

Posted

Sounds exciting. Bioshock's atmosphere and story are amazing. The ending sucked but everything else was pure gold.

Hope this can recapture some of the magic Bioshock 2 flushed down the crapper.

Posted

The trailer for this was Awesome!

Posted

Epic! I am so excited for this! Bioshock is awesome.

Posted

Oh great another game exactly like the last two

Hope this one is better than the last

Posted

What... the .... heck?

Want.

Posted

Looks interesting.

Posted

Here's a really interesting interview with Ken Levine

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/12/video-interview-ken-levine-on-bioshock-infinite/

[quote][b]The city of Columbia seems a lot less devolved than Rapture was. Is this still a city full of crazies? Full of hopped-up Splicers? The people seemed a little more ... natural. [/b]

I think that's one of the things we're trying to do. One of the cheats we've given ourselves over the history of the company is sort of being in this world that's almost dead. It's completely destroyed in many ways. And you just have the sort of crazies wandering around who you can't really interact with in any meaningful way.

I think, and I could be wrong, I think I invented the "see the guy on the other side of the glass window and interact with him" thing. And that's a dubious distinction, as an invention. And that's one of the things that we said we're not going to allow ourselves to have a game that's entirely run by that. Where you see a guy and he immediately attacks you.

You saw a sequence in the bar, where you come in and people don't immediately attack you. And that's actually meaningful to what we're trying to do with this game. I'm not going to go into a huge amount of detail here but this is not a city that's as devolved as Rapture and I think that presents real challenges for us on the development side and it also presents real new opportunities for the gamer and a very different experience than BioShock.[/quote]

For those of you that don't know, Bioshock 2 had nothing to do with Irrational (the developers of the first Bioshock/System Shock 2).

Bioshock Infinite is the mysterious "project Icarus" that Irrational has been touting about the past few months

Posted

BioShock and Ken Levine is involved again? Sold.

Posted

cool.

Posted

Also, this game has nothing to do with Big Daddies, Plasmids, Eve, Little Sisters, Splicers, etc.

They kept the Bioshock name but like a new Final Fantasy game, it's going to be completely unrelated to the first

Posted

Anyone else think of Marathon Infinity with the title?

Either way, if Ken Levine is back in, I might have to check it out.

Posted

Here's a good plot summary from Destructoid

[quote]In BioShock Infinite, developer Irrational Games has built a city floating in the clouds as their manifestation of Columbia; turn-of-the-century Americans envisioned the steampunk-dirigible metropolis as a traveling beacon of America, a symbol of the American way.

Posted

Looks like it's using the same engine as B 1. Darn.

I would love to see Rapture in the Crytek engine; a truly disgusting and foreboding environment.

Posted

Whoa... Want :|

Posted

hopefully this will make up for the second one...

Posted

Bioshock 2 was super meh, but this looks impressive.

Posted

I'll keep an eye on it, but nowhere near as excited for this as I was the original Bioshock. I wish they'd find a new name for this unless there's some crazy twist tying Andrew Ryan to this. I mean, I'd kinda like it to be a completely unrelated storyline.

Posted

[quote name='Ayepecks' date='12 August 2010 - 16:17' timestamp='1281644268' post='593023314']
I'll keep an eye on it, but nowhere near as excited for this as I was the original Bioshock. I wish they'd find a new name for this unless there's some crazy twist tying Andrew Ryan to this.
[/quote]

This game will be a completely different universe than Bioshock.

No continuity...similar to Final Fantasy. So I guess Bioshock 2 is the Final Fantasy X-2 of the franchise

Posted

[quote name='ynnoj' date='12 August 2010 - 15:06' timestamp='1281639999' post='593023066']
[/quote]

+1

Posted

[quote name='ynnoj' date='12 August 2010 - 13:06' timestamp='1281639999' post='593023066']
[/quote]

Indeed. The fact that Ken Levine is involved has instantly placed this one on my radar.

The trailer itself looked really cool. Didn't show much, but it definitely looks beautiful, both artistically and graphically. I'm that they're going for a more vibrant game world after the dark environments of Rapture (not that dark environments are a bad thing).

Posted

[quote name='Massiveterra' date='12 August 2010 - 21:25' timestamp='1281644723' post='593023344']
This game will be a completely different universe than Bioshock.

No continuity...similar to Final Fantasy. So I guess Bioshock 2 is the Final Fantasy X-2 of the franchise
[/quote]
Actually, they said there may or may not be.

I hope it's drastically different, personally -- something more original, even if there are similarities between the original Bioshock and Infinite. For example, I hope there aren't little sisters or some sort of equal to them in this game.

Posted

Hard to get excited when the game is sitting at a 2012 release, but good to know Levine is working on something new.

Posted

Trailer is trully amazing, but i am not excited for more of the same :p

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0