id Tech 5 (Rage Engine) works on the iPhone

During his keynote speech at QuakeCon 2010, id Software's John Carmack demonstrated Rage on the iPhone, running at 60 frames-per-second and able to "kill anything done on the Xbox or PlayStation 2."

500x_rageenginegameoniphone.jpg

Carmack's demonstration, using the id Tech 5 engine, could possibly be the most impressive tech we've seen on the iPhone. Running on the iPhone 4 but easily run on the 3GS, the visuals indeed rivaled anything from the PlayStation 2 and original Xbox, and might even be able to give a few current-gen titles a run for their money.

The first Rage game for the iPhone will be a small "show-off" sort of title, with a larger game due out next year to coincide with the big game's release.

http://kotaku.com/5611523/id-unleashes-rage-on-the-iphone

I hope they do this for Android! (Y)

Well Carmack says it looks incredibly cool on an iPad but it also runs great on 2G iPhone... So I am not sure if this is only coded for the iOS, but it looks like it...

They might port it to the Android later though, as they have done with some other games...

Well even if the framerate goes down few FPS down, it will still be quite playable.

I know, I'm just saying I would've liked to have seen an actual gameplay clip if this is going to be released before the end of the year as they say.

Holy crap just saw that video, and my jaw literally dropped to the ground.

Carmack is a god in the gaming world, and that ladies and gentleman, is the perfect example why.

Hmmm, from what I hear, it wont be ready till late 2011

Carmack said it will be released this year, with a full-fledged game coming out next year.

Never thought I'd be this excited for an iPhone game in my life. I think only Carmack could.

It will be good looking, but the controls will still suck ass.

• 2 months later...

Thread res! Thanks to the front page game news round-up :)

It turns out it's not Rage for the iPhone, at least not the full game but I think most people would agree it would be a little too ambitious to fit the entire game, or even close to on a phone and have it work well and be fun. However the graphics engine is being used to make a spin-off, or intro game to Rage which should be out this Month hopefully - clicky the linky below for more info! :)

http://bethblog.com/index.php/2010/10/29/john-carmack-discusses-rage-on-iphoneipadipod-touch/