My New Twin Lovely Ladies

I know what you preverts were thinking. :laugh: But earlier tonight these 2 lovely ladies entered my life...

CASE_CARDS_INSTALLED_04.jpg

I am now the proud owner of 2 Nvidia EVGA Superclocked GTX 460's

A shot from further away with their boxes...

CASE_WithNewCards.jpg

Before installation with my previous GTX 285

CASE_OLD_CARD_02.jpg

One last shot...

CASE_CARDS_INSTALLED_02.jpg

Shot of the System Information from the Nvidia Control Panel...

Display_Drivers.JPG

I have not nor will I really be able to test the cards out tonight, but once I do over the weekend, I will probably post back with some impressions, etc.

Your a tease. :p

Congrats on your purchase, why did you chose these over ATi offerings? Not saying these are bad cards btw. :p

Thanks. Put simply, I prefer Nvidia. Just my personal preference.

I was considering a 5870 for awhile, but decided on these two beauties. I am generally not a fanboy of anything, but Nvidia is about as close as I get to being one. :p

So what does your wife say about these new ladies in your life? :p

She does not know yet. :shiftyninja:

you are Dirty larry

Indeed.

What kind of WEI scores do you get with this?

Good question. Have not checked it out yet. Will see about doing that before I go to bed tonight (downstairs on my laptop or else I would do it right now)

Twins too! Double the pleasure, double the fun. *wink wink* ;)

:laugh:

LOL where did you get the idea for those puppies :shiftyninja: I would say the race was neck and neck :unsure:

Mine arrived yesterday too, damn awesome rig now. Hope you enjoy yours as much as mine. I am blown away by the performance of these babies. Sadly as I had to get someone else to build the rig, sadly I cannot take a photo of them in the machine as they have put a warranty sticker across the side panel on my case :(

Great work Larry, now what's your missus' mobile number again :whistle:

FYI I get 7.8 WEI with these, but my baseline is let down on the new system build by the HD which is 5.9 :( I wuld have thought the move from IDE to SATA would have been better than .4 points :(

now.... here's the question ... how good does it run Crys, nah, **** that game, how's it run Minesweeper?? hahahahahahahaha

cause you know Minesweeper DESTROYS every other game ever made and thought of :p

LOL where did you get the idea for those puppies :shiftyninja: I would say the race was neck and neck :unsure:

Mine arrived yesterday too, damn awesome rig now. Hope you enjoy yours as much as mine. I am blown away by the performance of these babies. Sadly as I had to get someone else to build the rig, sadly I cannot take a photo of them in the machine as they have put a warranty sticker across the side panel on my case :(

Great work Larry, now what's your missus' mobile number again :whistle:

Indeed. Thank you for the link. (Y) It was definitely that article that sealed the deal for me.

Dude, that is some serious horse power! You gonna paint some flames?

I skip heat in the winter and just turn on my Computer. :rofl:

Nice system but I did get a bit of a chuckle at the 1200 Watt power supply for a 380 Watt computer. :p

Well, the 1200 Watt PSU was provided to me at no cost, so I use it. Sure, it is complete overkill, but I will never be one of those people that people tell get a stronger PSU. :p

But okay, I am having my first issue (of course).

Since I installed the cards, I noticed my available memory, I have 6GB in Triple Channel, was only listed at 2GB out of 6GB!!! I went and changed some settings in my BIOS, and I was able to get it up to 4GB of 6GB. CPU-Z is reporting all Ram is working, and it is in Triple Channel, so my question is to those that may know, did installing these cards really eat up 2GB of my available 6GB for memory? If so, I guess I obviously have to live with it, but I have been researching it for the past 45 minutes, and it seems I am not the only person this has happened to. A lot of people are saying check the CPU for bent pins, but I really cannot see it being that, and I did reseat my memory, and I did find a thread I am about to try now that suggests what manual timings I should use for my RAM, but just wondering is this indeed normal, and if not, anybody know exactly what I need to do?

FTR, I did go to MSCONFIG, BOOT, and made sure Memory Available (or something like that) was unchecked, and when I did check it, it does show all 6GB, so just wondering is this perhaps a side affect of installing SLi cards?

And oh yeah, Minesweeper blazes. :rofl:

You have a dedicated sound card in there? Is there any benefit to doing that these days?

Yes, if you have good enough speakers, and good enough ears. No point in having an X-Fi if you are rocking some $75 P.O.S. speakers

If you are using z5500 or Klipsch 5.1 or comparable - then an X-Fi (or comparable) is a welcomed addition.

Nice Dirty Larry, I hope you enjoy it...all the black looks good. (Y)

But okay, I am having my first issue (of course).

Since I installed the cards, I noticed my available memory, I have 6GB in Triple Channel, was only listed at 2GB out of 6GB!!! I went and changed some settings in my BIOS, and I was able to get it up to 4GB of 6GB. CPU-Z is reporting all Ram is working, and it is in Triple Channel, so my question is to those that may know, did installing these cards really eat up 2GB of my available 6GB for memory? If so, I guess I obviously have to live with it, but I have been researching it for the past 45 minutes, and it seems I am not the only person this has happened to. A lot of people are saying check the CPU for bent pins, but I really cannot see it being that, and I did reseat my memory, and I did find a thread I am about to try now that suggests what manual timings I should use for my RAM, but just wondering is this indeed normal, and if not, anybody know exactly what I need to do?

There are many reasons for this issue it is quite common on the X58 platform unfortunately. Here are the four most common reasons:

1. High Voltage has damaged your CPU's Memory Controller. If you have operated this PC for a very long time with the RAM at 1.65v or above some damage may have occurred. Intel recommend 1.65v as the maximum but they had no way to test this over long periods of time and 1.67v kills the memory controller in a few months so I would say that 1.65 isn't safe for long term usage.

2. The CPU Socket pins are not making good contact with the CPU. This can cause the memory to be detected successfully by the system (Bios + CPUz etc) but the extra memory is not able to be mapped correctly and thus does not show up in Task Manager and cannot be utilized.

3. Some of your RAM has gone bad possibly due to overheating, over voltage, or just general wear.

4. Your Memory or your CPU's Memory Controller is not getting enough voltage (This is a common issue, usually notching the CPU's QPI Voltage .1 or .2 higher can get the RAM seen again)

I hope you can rule out many of these obviously start with the easiest things such as notching the voltage higher on the QPI Bus and testing the memory in another computer and/or one DIMM at a time.

Okay first off, would like to report, I have the issue with the Ram not being all 6GB SOLVED. :punk: I honestly think it was just a weird little bug, but I found this thread, played with those settings recommended by KMoore4318, and that totally did something. Not only that, but I took my RAM out, reseated it in completely different slots, and that worked. I think it was just the reseating of the RAM all along, because then I loaded up the defaults on my BIOS, and all 6GB was still reporting. SO I AM VERY RELIEVED that is taken care of.

Once I saw the default BIOS were working, I actually went back and used the settings KMoore recommended again (for the non OC'er) as it does make my RAM run at the 1600 it is supposed to. (Y)

Yes, if you have good enough speakers, and good enough ears. No point in having an X-Fi if you are rocking some $75 P.O.S. speakers

If you are using z5500 or Klipsch 5.1 or comparable - then an X-Fi (or comparable) is a welcomed addition.

Nice Dirty Larry, I hope you enjoy it...all the black looks good. (Y)

Thanks sir. (Y) I do like the all black for sure.

And actually while I was resetting my RAM, I took out the XiFi. I do not have all that great of a speaker system, just some lower end Logitech 5.1, so gonna see how I like the onboard sound, as honestly Creatives drivers have been nothing but a nightmare for me, and I really hate how nowadays they list software as critical that is nothing but. But we will see. Perhaps I will reinistall the XiFi sooner than later, but for now I wanted to give my ladies some room to breather. :laugh:

Nice looking system :) We have a very similar taste :D

Sweet. I see we indeed do. Nice. :yes:

Holy crap that's nice. :cool:

What's the game the made you upgrade?

No one game in particular TBH, just reading up on Direct X 11, I wanted to have that option, and well, let's be honest, even though it has been delayed, Crysis 2 played a big role in this decision. :laugh:

I really cannot wait to see how BFBC2 runs now that I have DX11 support!!

Gotta go to bed, but gonna start my download of Metro 2033. I get it for free as a promotion through EVGA. (Y)

There are many reasons for this issue it is quite common on the X58 platform unfortunately. Here are the four most common reasons:

1. High Voltage has damaged your CPU's Memory Controller. If you have operated this PC for a very long time at 1.65v or above some damage may have occurred. Intel recommend 1.65v as the maximum but they had no way to test this over long periods of time and 1.67v kills the memory controller in a few months so I would say that 1.65 isn't safe for long term usage.

2. The CPU Socket pins are not making good contact with the CPU. This can cause the memory to be detected successfully by the system (Bios + CPUz etc) but the extra memory is not able to be mapped correctly and thus does not show up in Task Manager and cannot be utilized.

3. Some of your RAM has gone bad possibly due to overheating, over voltage, or just general wear.

4. Your Memory or your CPU's Memory Controller is not getting enough voltage (This is a common issue, usually notching the CPU's QPI Voltage .1 or .2 higher can get the RAM seen again)

I hope you can rule out many of these obviously start with the easiest things such as notching the voltage higher on the QPI Bus and testing the memory in another computer and/or one DIMM at a time.

Thanks for the reply. I am now loading up my defaults, as I do not like that info about 1.65. Thanks so much. (Y) As long as I have all 6GB as I did before, I am a happy camper. Thanks again. (Y)