Fake validation emails

Hi,

Its come to my attention that a member is mailing people fake validation emails in which a password is requested for validation. Neowin will never ask you for your password because us admins can get all the info we need from the database should it be required.

Ignore such requests or PM an admin for further assistance. The mails may look like they are coming from Neowin but they aren't.

EDIT 6/6/2005:

I'd just like to alert members to the fact that we've noticed a recent batch of spoof emails doing the rounds. They pretend to be from support@neowin.net and take you to a 3rd party site.

We can only remind members that we NEVER ask for your password. If you do get a spoof email pretending to be from us, we'd love to hear about it. Please PM an admin or a supervisor with the message, and the full headers.

To see this e-mail, click here: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...#entry586026631

Thanks

Edited by shockz

*Damm I got caught* haha j/k but seriously Ill keep a watch out and I AM good at it since I am a "WatchDawg" but thats MrWatchDawg do you mister ;)

what use would someone have with someone's neowin account? :huh: it's not like it's a bank account or anything :wacko:

if they had your a/c details they could get u permanently banned from neowin - especially if they didn't like you, upset all your neowin friends, steal ur a/c and/or change ur information etc. etc.

eeeeepppp speaking of security issues, is the message board patched with the 2 IPB 1.1.2 Security Fixes? :unsure:

Here: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?act=...2680&hl=patches

Anyway, I think its pretty sick what people attempt to do, but with a little common sense you shouldn't get fooled, once you've registered and confimed your account there should be no reason why you have to do it again.

Edited by shockz

if they had your a/c details they could get u permanently banned from neowin - especially if they didn't like you, upset all your neowin friends, steal ur a/c and/or change ur information etc. etc.

they would also have your password... which you use the same one from other sites... they could control those as well :|

eeeeepppp speaking of security issues, is the message board patched with the 2 IPB 1.1.2 Security Fixes?  :unsure:

Anyway, I think its pretty sick what people attempt to do, but with a little common sense you shouldn't get fooled, once you've registered and confimed your account there should be no reason why you have to do it again.

I was wondering that too :unsure:

eeeeepppp speaking of security issues, is the message board patched with the 2 IPB 1.1.2 Security Fixes??:unsure::

I was wondering that too :unsure::