Photo

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 vanx

vanx

Neowinian

• 1,457 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:54

Just as the MPAA is preparing to offer movies to customers at home while they're still in theaters by limiting playback to DRM-protected digital outputs only, the HDCP protocol they rely on may have been cracked wide open. All devices that support HDCP, like Blu-ray players, set-top boxes and displays with HDMI inputs, have their own set of keys to encrypt and decrypt protected data and if keys for a particular device are compromised, they can be revoked by content released in the future which will then refuse to play. Now, posts have been floating around on Twitter about a supposed "master key" which renders that protection unusable since it allows anyone to create their own source and sink keys.

Who discovered this and by what technique isn't immediately clear, but as early as 2001 security researcher Niels Ferguson proposed that it could be easily revealed by knowing the keys of less than 50 different devices. Hardware HDCP rippers like the HDfury2 and DVIMAGIC have been around for a while and various AACS cracks easily allow rips of Blu-ray discs but if this information is what it claims to be, then the DRM genie could be permanently out of the bag allowing perfect high definition copies of anything as long as the current connector standards are around. While it's unlikely your average user would flash their capture device with a brand new key and get to copying uncompressed HD audio and video, keeping those early releases off of the torrents in bit perfect quality could go from difficult to impossible.

Source: http://www.engadget....v-copy-protect/

#2 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• 12,777 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:57

ah the futile attempts of pathetic greedbags at preserving their dead business paradigm

#3 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,974 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:24

ah the futile attempts of pathetic greedbags at preserving their dead business paradigm

You mean getting paid for the entertainment you're watching ?

yeah damn them for wanting to be paid for their work ;)

#4 Richard Hammond

Richard Hammond

Neowinian Senior

• 6,575 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:27

HDCP has nothing to do with not being paid, they just dont want you to be able to record HD video from any source so that you HAVE to pay to rent or buy the film instead of recording it from TV.

#5 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,974 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:32

HDCP has nothing to do with not being paid, they just dont want you to be able to record HD video from any source so that you HAVE to pay to rent or buy the film instead of recording it from TV.

YEs they want to stop you from recording to stop full quality rips to appear on the net, even though that never worked. I wasn't even aware they where allowed to enforce the HDCP flag yet, I thought that was a year of or so still.

#6 7Dash8

7Dash8

Veritas Aequitas

• 622 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:16

I'm pretty sure you're speaking about pirates here... Keywords 'pathetic', 'greedy' and 'dead business paradigm' (i.e. getting stuff for free = death of business).

#7 +M2Ys4U

M2Ys4U

Your friendly neighbourhood Pirate!

• 8,048 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:04

DRM always fails. I don't know why they still bother.

#8 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• 19,357 posts
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 14 September 2010 - 13:46

I understand the media creators wanting to protect their stuff so they can make money off of it, but trying to restrict things more and more isn't the way. New business models like netflix etc are the way to go really. Of course, another way for them to stey ahead is to just keep moving to the next new thing, now that HD has been cracked left and right they might as well try some new tech with new protection and hope that holds up for a few years as well.

#9 Gutierrez

Gutierrez

Neowinian

• 813 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 14:27

hmm... I have to see this if this really work first.

#10 MillionVoltss

MillionVoltss

Neowinian Senior

• 2,273 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 14:35

The key must of been leaked, its simply too big to be cracked.

#11 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,360 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 14 September 2010 - 15:06

You mean getting paid for the entertainment you're watching ?

yeah damn them for wanting to be paid for their work ;)

yeah like the artists get paid by record labels a lot.... ;)

#12 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,974 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 15:46

yeah like the artists get paid by record labels a lot.... ;)

yeah so let's screw them out of what little they do get. also unlike popular myth, all the money the record companies take don't go right in the CEO's pockets. it goes into marketing, production studio, salaries all across the line, paying off the radio's.

and we're also talking movies here, last I checked actors didn't actually get small crumbs.

#13 TheBlueRaja

TheBlueRaja

Neowinian

• 254 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 15:56

yeah so let's screw them out of what little they do get. also unlike popular myth, all the money the record companies take don't go right in the CEO's pockets. it goes into marketing, production studio, salaries all across the line, paying off the radio's.

and we're also talking movies here, last I checked actors didn't actually get small crumbs.

Now ask me if i care...

#14 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,974 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 15:59

Now ask me if i care...

I guess you wouldn't care if your boss came to you one day and said "yeah, we don't want to pay you for today" either :)

#15 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• 3,240 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 14 September 2010 - 18:21

And yet that's still everywhere BUT to the artist. So the guy you quoted still isn't wrong about the music side of things.