sprint fraud alert ... true story!

Here is what happened to me today. This is part of the letter i wrote sprint and my local news station. They will be picking this story up and broadcasting/interviewing me tomorrow. I better get something out of this and this guy is screwed now.

"Here is the info that was requested about my ordeal today. I was on craigslist browsing for a new phone when i came across a brand new palm pixi for sale. I texted the person with my offer. He or she texted me back and counter offered. They then told me my personal info such as my name/address and phone i had. I asked how he knew my info and they said they worked for sprint. The issue is any sprint employee cannot access your info with out my name and pin code which i did not provide. I got upset and called sprint. I spoke to heather a customer service agent . She assured me this was fraud and could plainly see my account was accessed/bypassed by a sprint employee at 3pm today. After i gave her the persons phone number she assured me this would be handled by the fraud department/corporate and that it would be easy to track this person down.

She then reset my account passwords and pin number and transferred me to fraud. Well they are closed on the weekends so i called sprint back. I talked to a supervisor "Deborah" this time and she agreed that this was fraud but that she could not help me until i spoke to the fraud department on monday. She also said this will be dealt with swiftly and promptly as no one can access your account without approval. What scares me is the fact that this person knows my personal info, i have kids here and credit card info on the sprint account.. How many other people has he/she done this too? Is all the phones he/she sell online stolen items? Im almost ready to close my sprint account im so irate right now. I think this person should be fired/prosecuted and i should be compensated in some form. I plan on calling the better business Bureau as well next week."

Im hoping sprint really keeps their word and this goes pretty far because if customers find out about this your going to have alot of upset people.

This is really a WTF moment for me and my wife, the douche continues to text me not knowing he is about to get screwed royally. Im soo ticked i may cancel my account since apparently this ass doesn't need a pin to access our info.

Just confirmed by sprint that this is indeed a sprint employee. Looks like someone lost their job today. They won't give me alot of info but they told me to keep the texts and i may be needed in court.

A Pin, are you high, not even USAA requires such a thing to access the account. We may ask for a pin, but we dont have to enter it on our end. Infact we see this pin on our end and just verify that you know it. Im not agreesing with what this guy did, it was wrong. But after working in a contracted call center for MSN, Qwest, Comcast, USAA, and AT&T, I can tell you that none of us needed anything more than your phone number to view your account. Oh, by the way, while working for msn we were given a tool administrate hotmail accounts and we had full unfettered access to everything. The fact that we got minimum wage made me surprised that no one broke privacy laws (that I know of). I wouldnt cancel your service over this. chances are some other call center employee making minimum wage has already looked at your acc.

i contracted recently for a uk government agency, 3 or 4 people got fired in the few months i was there for this type of thing..

i think it's quite common!

anywho.. what was he getting your info for? you didn't elaborate, was the guy just showing off? ;)

i contracted recently for a uk government agency, 3 or 4 people got fired in the few months i was there for this type of thing..

i think it's quite common!

anywho.. what was he getting your info for? you didn't elaborate, was the guy just showing off? ;)

i dunno why he was on my account or how he bypassed my pin.

A Pin, are you high, not even USAA requires such a thing to access the account. We may ask for a pin, but we dont have to enter it on our end. Infact we see this pin on our end and just verify that you know it. Im not agreesing with what this guy did, it was wrong. But after working in a contracted call center for MSN, Qwest, Comcast, USAA, and AT&T, I can tell you that none of us needed anything more than your phone number to view your account. Oh, by the way, while working for msn we were given a tool administrate hotmail accounts and we had full unfettered access to everything. The fact that we got minimum wage made me surprised that no one broke privacy laws (that I know of). I wouldnt cancel your service over this. chances are some other call center employee making minimum wage has already looked at your acc.

people like you are the reason people do this. i do not care what you make hourly. what they did was fraud and illegal. you need an account pin to access my personal account info, he bypassed it. sprint is the one who is firing him and pressing charges.

yes a free year of service and two new phones " htc evo" will be what im asking for.

i dunno why he was on my account or how he bypassed my pin.

people like you are the reason people do this. i do not care what you make hourly. what they did was fraud and illegal. you need an account pin to access my personal account info, he bypassed it. sprint is the one who is firing him and pressing charges.

yes a free year of service and two new phones " htc evo" will be what im asking for.

Like me? I never commited fraud, and their is no pin setup to bypass. I did also work through another contracting agency for a sprint store and seriously,. the pin was display to us with a continue button. Their was a question telling us to verify that you knew the pin and click continue. Sorry, you dont deserve a free phone and year of free service for this. He didnt bypass anything, he broke privacy laws, BIG difference. Infact, it doesnt matter that fraud was commited you dont deserve anything more than him getting fired.

Like me? I never commited fraud, and their is no pin setup to bypass. I did also work through another contracting agency for a sprint store and seriously,. the pin was display to us with a continue button. Their was a question telling us to verify that you knew the pin and click continue. Sorry, you dont deserve a free phone and year of free service for this. He didnt bypass anything, he broke privacy laws, BIG difference.

we shall see what the media makes of it. im ticked right now. sprint already said corporate would be in contact with an offer next week.

would you like someone to access your account without your permission and view your name, address and credit card info and then text it to you?

we shall see what the media makes of it. im ticked right now. sprint already said corporate would be in contact with an offer next week.

Media wonte care. At best, one local channel will slightly mention it. This happens next to a thousand times a week and every month probly over 100 employees from variouse companies get fired for this, your not special. Again, what he did was wrong, and no I wouldnt like that to happen to me. Howver, all you deserve is an apology and them firing him. You dont deserve a free high end phone and a year of free service. Thats the american sue mentality on a smaller scale.

err what?

not seeing where the 'people like you' thing comes from... and in any case the post you quoted clearly states that the PIN is just for their verification, and not required for account access.. much like when they ask you for your phone number, mothers maiden name, etc etc

please read the thread :)

Media wonte care. At best, one local channel will slightly mention it. This happens next to a thousand times a week and every month probly over 100 employees from variouse companies get fired for this, your not special. Again, what he did was wrong, and no I wouldnt like that to happen to me. Howver, all you deserve is an apology and them firing him. You dont deserve a free high end phone and a year of free service. Thats the american sue mentality on a smaller scale.

massive +1 to this post

err what?

not seeing where 'people like you comes from', and in any case the post you quoted clearly states that the PIN is just for their verification, and not required for account access.. much like when they ask you for your phone number, mothers maiden name, etc etc

please read the thread :)

bottom line is no one is suppose to view it without consent, he did. apparently sprint thinks it's a big deal, sorry some of you do not.

bottom line is no one is suppose to view it without consent, he did. apparently sprint thinks it's a big deal, sorry some of you do not.

i am so confused, you are reading what you want to read.. blink.gif

i am so confused, you are reading what you want to read.. blink.gif

im just upset and so is my wife. i hope this all gets resolved. i might have to look into another carrier, maybe they can let me out for free or something i dunno. but a nice htc evo would make me happy! :shiftyninja:

btw if anybody wants a cheap stolen phone i can hook you up with this douche. :laugh: he is still texting me as i type this. idiot!

im just upset and so is my wife. i hope this all gets resolved. i might have to look into another carrier, maybe they can let me out for free or something i dunno. but a nice htc evo would make me happy! :shiftyninja:

Not sure about your areacoverage, but I am paying 89.99 a month for unlimited data, web, and text through tmobile. You can get a family plan with no contract for unlimited service for two lines for 99.99 a month (must buy phones outright but worth it). Look into it, I will agree that it would be fair to let you out without paying contract fees as they broke their end of the contract, that legally makes the contract void so you shouldnt have a contract fee anymore.

i think the thing you need to realise is that looking at your account is not abnormal, and no one at spirit (or is it sprint?) would be able to do their jobs if they could never look at anyones account...

what is wrong is the reasons why yours was looked at, which as it stands is unknown, but more importantly the circumstances of it which are just weird!

the final point is that you don't need a PIN/password etc to access account info in call centres.. it is only for them to verify they are talking to the correct person.

let us know how you get on though.. :)

p.s. you might get a good will gesture of some airtime credit, but good luck on the free phone phone.. i think it's very unlikely!

i think the thing you need to realise is that looking at your account is not abnormal, and no one at spirit (or is it sprint?) would be able to do their jobs if they could never look at anyones account...

what is wrong is the reasons why yours was looked at, which as it stands is unknown, but more importantly the circumstances.

the final point is that you don't need a PIN to access account info in call centres.. it is ONLY for them to verify they are talking to the correct person.

let us know how you get on..

i get what your saying, he screwed himself out of a job. god knows how many others he did this too after they texted him. and yes this is with sprint, he is apparently a local employee at a sprint store, they tracked his cell number down.

update: i decided to not do the news interview, not worth it IMO. but i talked to the fraud/corporate security dept today and the guy is being terminated and being prosecuted for breaking protocol. sprint called it a corporate breach of security. my account has been locked until the proceedings happen and sprint will be calling me soon to ask me what they can do to keep me as a customer or make us happy.

im either asking to be let out of contract and have them pay my last bill or...

asking for two new phones for me and my wife for free.

update: i decided to not do the news interview, not worth it IMO. but i talked to the fraud/corporate security dept today and the guy is being terminated and being prosecuted for breaking protocol. sprint called it a corporate breach of security. my account has been locked until the proceedings happen and sprint will be calling me soon to ask me what they can do to keep me as a customer or make us happy.

im either asking to be let out of contract and have them pay my last bill or...

asking for two new phones for me and my wife for free.

i agree completly with your case, he is not permitted to access the account without a pin which you did not give and sides you did not call sprint for anything but you were on craigslist looking for something and that is obviously not contacting sprint like many others seem to either not realize or failed to read that part and you should be compensated fully as the employee did fraud and it is good that he lost his job and got fired and what should be added to him is a warning for other companies that this employee did this and are ill advised to employ him for work(so if he wants to be employable then he should not do that stuff to begin with or he would be flat out denied) in the part that he did and be labeled, i understand about the call center thing that someone said earlier but he did not contact a call center.

Well at least Sprint is proving that they don't like employees doing fraudulent activities to customers accounts. I for one am happy to see this, shows they take privacy of customers seriously. Would be nice if all companies did.

The employee being fired? Or the demands of the victim?

The demands

I agree that the employee should be fired and the OP should receive a small compensation but his demands are a bit high

The demands

I agree that the employee should be fired and the OP should receive a small compensation but his demands are a bit high

In that case, I agree with you. I do not think he is entitled to free phones or having his bills paid. However, letting him out of the contract for free would be good.

I think that they might be willing to do that. Seems small considering what is going on. But i think at the least they would let him out of contract without penalties.