So I spent some time in Reflector going through the app. (Nice obfuscation tool btw. Always cracks me up to see music symbols in source) It took me a bit to grok how you were putting this together, but with a little toying with Spy++ and putting 2 and 2 together, I figured out how you're doing this. Nice idea for an implementation! I wouldn't have thought to hook the start menu's textbox and listen for the appropriate input. Very novel approach.
One suggestion for you; the start menu's appearance can be achieved without static PNGs like you're using for the borders. You can use the DWM api to draw that for you. Granted you'll see whatever is behind the 'glass', but it'll look a lot more native and work with whatever tints, if any, the user applies, without having to ship the binaries with a poopton of images embedded. If you're up for opening the source on this, I'd love to pitch in. If not, no worries, I hope that helps some.
Hi andrew_ - I know obfuscation isn't going to stop people who know what they are doing from finding out how it works, that isn't my intention. My intention is to stop those who don't from having somewhat of a copy and paste of the code available to them.
My plan was never to keep the static PNGs, I've been looking at better ways to accomplish this, the DWM API being one option
I haven't decided whether to open source this or not just yet, as I just want to make the code more solid and stable and integrate more features, at this stage. I'll be sure to let you know if I do open it up.