Photo

Early Feedback on Start Menu Extender

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: Early Feedback on Start Menu Extender (63 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 OP the_architect

the_architect

Neowinian

Posted 18 October 2010 - 22:50

i think you should actually implement it in this, no need to make so many apps :p

this looks awesome

That's what I meant, as an extension for this application Posted Image

didn't that Microsoft guy who used to be on these forums already make somethign like this, back in the vista days ?

yeah, Start++
http://brandontools.com/

not sure if that works on 7 too though.

Cool, haven't seen that before.

#17 Leonick

Leonick

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 October 2010 - 23:26

didn't that Microsoft guy who used to be on these forums already make somethign like this, back in the vista days ?

yeah, Start++
http://brandontools.com/

not sure if that works on 7 too though.

yea i found that one too... there is something wrong with the site though so you can't download :(

#18 andrew_

andrew_

Neowinian

Posted 26 February 2011 - 20:44

Open source it!

FWIW, this *looks way more streamlined than Start++.

#19 andrew_

andrew_

Neowinian

Posted 27 February 2011 - 16:56

@luke_smily_face

So I spent some time in Reflector going through the app. (Nice obfuscation tool btw. Always cracks me up to see music symbols in source) It took me a bit to grok how you were putting this together, but with a little toying with Spy++ and putting 2 and 2 together, I figured out how you're doing this. Nice idea for an implementation! I wouldn't have thought to hook the start menu's textbox and listen for the appropriate input. Very novel approach.

One suggestion for you; the start menu's appearance can be achieved without static PNGs like you're using for the borders. You can use the DWM api to draw that for you. Granted you'll see whatever is behind the 'glass', but it'll look a lot more native and work with whatever tints, if any, the user applies, without having to ship the binaries with a poopton of images embedded. If you're up for opening the source on this, I'd love to pitch in. If not, no worries, I hope that helps some.

#20 OP the_architect

the_architect

Neowinian

Posted 27 February 2011 - 21:58

@luke_smily_face

So I spent some time in Reflector going through the app. (Nice obfuscation tool btw. Always cracks me up to see music symbols in source) It took me a bit to grok how you were putting this together, but with a little toying with Spy++ and putting 2 and 2 together, I figured out how you're doing this. Nice idea for an implementation! I wouldn't have thought to hook the start menu's textbox and listen for the appropriate input. Very novel approach.

One suggestion for you; the start menu's appearance can be achieved without static PNGs like you're using for the borders. You can use the DWM api to draw that for you. Granted you'll see whatever is behind the 'glass', but it'll look a lot more native and work with whatever tints, if any, the user applies, without having to ship the binaries with a poopton of images embedded. If you're up for opening the source on this, I'd love to pitch in. If not, no worries, I hope that helps some.

Hi andrew_ - I know obfuscation isn't going to stop people who know what they are doing from finding out how it works, that isn't my intention. My intention is to stop those who don't from having somewhat of a copy and paste of the code available to them.

My plan was never to keep the static PNGs, I've been looking at better ways to accomplish this, the DWM API being one option :)

I haven't decided whether to open source this or not just yet, as I just want to make the code more solid and stable and integrate more features, at this stage. I'll be sure to let you know if I do open it up.

#21 YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah

"individual magnets"

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 27 February 2011 - 22:02

Nifty idea, I would not use it though as I rarely use my start menu :p.

#22 andrew_

andrew_

Neowinian

Posted 27 February 2011 - 23:28

I know obfuscation isn't going to stop people who know what they are doing from finding out how it works, that isn't my intention. My intention is to stop those who don't from having somewhat of a copy and paste of the code available to them.

My plan was never to keep the static PNGs, I've been looking at better ways to accomplish this, the DWM API being one option :)

I haven't decided whether to open source this or not just yet, as I just want to make the code more solid and stable and integrate more features, at this stage. I'll be sure to let you know if I do open it up.

Thanks for the reply. Ya know, I subscribed to that philosophy for a long, LONG time. I've come around though and find that the fear I had about folks copying my work and releasing it as their own was unsubstantiated. I certainly understand how you think, but I've found that since I threw caution to the wind and started releasing things openly, I've had a really positive experience.

Looking forward to following the development at any rate.

#23 OP the_architect

the_architect

Neowinian

Posted 28 February 2011 - 22:36

Nifty idea, I would not use it though as I rarely use my start menu :p.

Me neither, but I'm a keyboard guy, so I'm hoping to save a few keystrokes :)

#24 briangw

briangw

The best damn band in the land!!!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 02 March 2011 - 15:28

Me neither, but I'm a keyboard guy, so I'm hoping to save a few keystrokes :)

Cannot download :( Says Access Denied. The requested URL cannot be retrieved.

#25 OP the_architect

the_architect

Neowinian

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:48

Cannot download :( Says Access Denied. The requested URL cannot be retrieved.

Seems to be working fine here, maybe try again?

#26 briangw

briangw

The best damn band in the land!!!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 04 March 2011 - 14:13

Seems to be working fine here, maybe try again?

This might be on my end. I'll try from home

Attached Images

• error.png

#27 Aethec

Aethec

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 March 2011 - 16:26

Doesn't work on my system :(
Win7 x64 (it's an English version with a French language pack)...I tried restarting explorer.exe (via the ctrl+shift+right click on Start Menu method), but nothing happens when I write 1+1 in my Start Menu.

#28 OP the_architect

the_architect

Neowinian

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:48

Doesn't work on my system :(
Win7 x64 (it's an English version with a French language pack)...I tried restarting explorer.exe (via the ctrl+shift+right click on Start Menu method), but nothing happens when I write 1+1 in my Start Menu.

I have heard from others who have other language packs installed and are having issues, I'll investigate when I have the chance. Also, when working correctly, there should be no need to restart explorer.

#29 evacchi

evacchi

Neowinian

Posted 13 March 2011 - 18:05

I have heard from others who have other language packs installed and are having issues, I'll investigate when I have the chance. Also, when working correctly, there should be no need to restart explorer.

I have issues too, win7 x64, english language, with italian locale.

Screeny of the error
Full text

If I click continue, this is what I get ;

also my taskbar is usually docked to the right side of the screen... are you paining an overlay at a fixed offset? :blink:

btw, it's a great idea, I've been searching for something like this for ages now (I don't want launchy or anything like that, I have already a perfectly fine tool in the start menu)

#30 OP the_architect

the_architect

Neowinian

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:27

also my taskbar is usually docked to the right side of the screen... are you paining an overlay at a fixed offset? :blink:

In this version, it takes it's location based on the assumption that the task bar is down the bottom of the screen. This is already fixed in subsequent builds.

I'm glad you like the idea, I'm slowly making progress in my spare time.

Thanks for the error info, also.