Wii - Goldeneye 007 Review

Full review @ Source

Source IGN

http://www.ign.com/videos/2010/11/02/goldeneye-007-video-review?objectid=867280

9.5 Presentation

Brilliant acting and motion capturing, and a fantastic retelling of a familiar Bond story. Boot up the original N64 game if you're a purist: this is for people who want something new.

8.5 Graphics

The game looks great with awesome atmosphere, but watch out for the drop in framerate during the hectic fights.

9.0 Sound

Excellent soundtrack even if it's not as memorable as the classic tunes. Voice acting is professional and the gunfire top-notch.

9.0 Gameplay

The game lifts its foundation from other successful first person shooters. It's excellent alone or with friends.

9.0 Lasting Appeal

The single-player can be taken care of in a few hours -- with unlockable difficulties. You'll be playing this one even longer thanks to off- and online multiplayer.

9.0 OVERALL Outstanding

Closing Comments

I can understand theres a bit of resistance to the idea that GoldenEye 007 on Wii is anything but a cash-in for Activision, but believe it when I say that this game is one of the best Wii games of the year. Things might have changed in the last 15 years, but at the very least Activision and Eurocom have done wonders to capture the essence that the original Nintendo 64 game grabbed a decade and a half ago. I dont think the WIi game will change the FPS genre in the same way the Rare design did, but as a standalone, original experience, its hard to deny this games greatness.

When i read that review i was expecting/hoping it would tell me how closely it follows the original game, ie whats different and whats the same, but unfortunately it mentioned nothing about the original other than "Boot up the original N64 game if you're a purist"

Can't believe the reviewer made no comparisons

When i read that review i was expecting/hoping it would tell me how closely it follows the original game, ie whats different and whats the same, but unfortunately it mentioned nothing about the original other than "Boot up the original N64 game if you're a purist"

Watch the video review... they mention that the script from the N64 is there.. but some elements have been changed since some characters were altered or removed.... hopefully I get a chance to check this out this week and I will post back.

This game or Epic Mickey... I have $20 credit from Amazon for buying Metroid: Other M, which I used $20 credit for buying Mario Galaxy 2. I hope I get another $20 credit for buying a game. Amazon is great. Two Bond games today, Goldeneye and Blood Stone, both for the DS also.

edit: look like $10 credit for a future game if i buy Goldeneye or Epic Mickey.

Ooo. I gotta buy this. And maybe the credits for Super Mario World.

The controls are awful imo. Way too flaoty it makes precision aiming impossible. Your crosshair is dead on a guy's face & you'll still miss. Adjust for "physics" and you'll still miss & shoot his body.

Also, when you aim with the gun up close it's way too slow. Not played around the settings yet to see if that can be changed but my god...Was so annoying.

Controls on the N64 were better & that really speaks for itself considering you had 1 thumb stick to use!

Plus the game is wayyyy too dark. Couldn't see what I was doing half the time.

Sweet, gonna check this out.

@ Munky, didn't you ever play with 2 controllers so you had dual analog? Was much better that way.

The controls are awful imo. Way too flaoty it makes precision aiming impossible. Your crosshair is dead on a guy's face & you'll still miss. Adjust for "physics" and you'll still miss & shoot his body.

Also, when you aim with the gun up close it's way too slow. Not played around the settings yet to see if that can be changed but my god...Was so annoying.

Controls on the N64 were better & that really speaks for itself considering you had 1 thumb stick to use!

Plus the game is wayyyy too dark. Couldn't see what I was doing half the time.

were you using the wiimote and nunchuck or the classic controller?.... I got this last night but havent had a chance to check it out yet.

Sweet, gonna check this out.

@ Munky, didn't you ever play with 2 controllers so you had dual analog? Was much better that way.

You could do that?! I never owned an N64 but I used to play GoldenEye at my friend's house all the time.

were you using the wiimote and nunchuck or the classic controller?.... I got this last night but havent had a chance to check it out yet.

Wiimote & nunchuck.

I can't help but always compare FPS games back to Metroid Corruption & how different they feel in the controls. I just wish Nintendo would share their knowledge of the wiimote to 3rd party devs so it could be more than it is.

Nice, surprised it turned out so well.

Might not have been a quick cash in but they definitely cashed in when they heard the XBLA remake was getting a lot of attention. Still wish they worked that out.

The dev, Eurocom having another solid title. On the up for them

Is it better to buy the new controller ( I don't own an arcade pad) or just play with the mote and nunny?

i'm using a controller, but ign says mote and nunny are the way to go once you get used to it.

I'm still waiting for my direct port of the N64 version. The world doesn't really need another Bond game, tbh. I just want to have 4-player rocket fights in Temple, all night long.

I'm still waiting for my direct port of the N64 version. The world doesn't really need another Bond game, tbh. I just want to have 4-player rocket fights in Temple, all night long.

Never gonna happen.

Rare is owned by Microsoft.

Nintendo owns the rights to Goldeneye 64

and Activision owns the exclusive James Bond 007 licence

Is it better to buy the new controller ( I don't own an arcade pad) or just play with the mote and nunny?

tough to say.. review said "mote and nunny" were very accurate yet the store is selling a version with the new classic controller. I'll test both to see which one I prefer

Gameinformers review did that if you want to see comparisons.

Ok... so I finally got a chance to play the single player and check out 1 MP match.

Single player - follows the N64 version story as much as they can (so far...)

Played through the facility and has lots of things that reminds me of the original.

As for controls, I am not thrilled. I am using the newer classic controller and while the controls are easy... I find myself having difficulty with the more precise aiming. Game is fun and thats most important to me and I RARELY get to play any games on the Wii because they are so far and few between.

I played only 1 or 2 rounds of the MP. Its fun, doesnt feel like the N64 (prob cause there were at least 8 people running around). I do not like that weapons are based on Levels. The match I joined had guys that were levels 1 up to 8.. at level 1 you can 1 basic weapon and no grenades or anything. So starting off as Level 1 puts you at a bit of a disadvantage.

I'll keep playing until I complete the single player campaign... not sure how much I will go back to the MP. I'd say make this a rental first if you are a FPS player on PS3 or 360 as well.