official

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:20

Please use this thread to discuss why you think the PC is better than the rest. Also, read this announcement before posting.

#2 ahmz

ahmz

Ahmad

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:05

The latest hardware, providing cutting-edge graphics/physics at high resolutions.

KB+mouse.

#3 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:13

Game mods.

#4 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:20

The latest hardware, providing cutting-edge graphics/physics at high resolutions.

KB+mouse.

Unfortunately, that comes at a price. A high-end gaming computer can cost as much as $3000 US. Of course, you don't need that to play most games but you definitely need a decent rig to play the latest titles with maxed out graphics at 60+ FPS.

Game mods.

Today's modding is nowhere near as good as it was in the old days. I'd say things started going bad after 2005. For some reason, developers created games that were modder-unfriendly. They didn't release the necessary tools to help modders and in some cases, made their games so "closed" that you couldn't even play custom maps or use custom weapons (e.g. Call of Duty 4 -> Modern Warfare 2).

Personally, I think the main weapon PC gaming has over console gaming is the keyboard and mouse. The amount of control and precision it provides is astounding.

#5 EL1TE

EL1TE

Neowinian

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:22

Console games are made on PCs.

/Thread

#6 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:30

Unfortunately, that comes at a price. A high-end gaming computer can cost as much as $3000 US. Of course, you don't need that to play most games but you definitely need a decent rig to play the latest titles with maxed out graphics at 60+ FPS.

Today's modding is nowhere near as good as it was in the old days. I'd say things started going bad after 2005. For some reason, developers created games that were modder-unfriendly. They didn't release the necessary tools to help modders and in some cases, made their games so "closed" that you couldn't even play custom maps or use custom weapons (e.g. Call of Duty 4 -> Modern Warfare 2).

Personally, I think the main weapon PC gaming has over console gaming is the keyboard and mouse. The amount of control and precision it provides is astounding.

While it's true it doesn't change the fact that some games still have huge modding communities like the Fallout series and Elder Scrolls series. And it's just the simple fact that we can get mods for a lot of the games that don't on the consoles. Console gamers don't know what they are missing as far as that is concerned.

And here's another one.. Blizzard makes games for the PC only. At least so far.

#7 Vice

Vice

Bye!

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:34

I prefer PC Gaming because I'm willing to spend the money for quality. No mater how much money I am willing to give Microsoft or Sony for a 360 or a PS3 I will never get a better graphical experience than what they offer at their lowest price point.

I can game in 3D on _every_ title. Not just ones that Sony/Microsoft developers support.
I can game across 3-6+ Displays at once with 3D
I can game at 2560x1600 not 1080p or in most cases 720p
I can game while doing something else on another monitor
I get a much larger amount of Indie games (Minecraft!)
I get to play MMORPG's
I get a huge back catalog of all those great PC Games from the past 2 decades
I get cheaper games! - Amazon usually lists games for £17-£25 while PS3/360 versions always £39.99-£44.99

And I know that some will make the argument that PC Gaming is very expensive, but so? I want quality and I'm willing to pay for it. At-least I have that option, I can start off with a cheap cheap £40 graphics card or get a super expensive £400 one. I have options and on a console you just don't. And besides.. everyone has a PC. Everyone here has one, everyone commenting in the Console threads have one. If you already have a PC it is cheaper to drop a new graphics card in that than buying a whole new console and that is just a fact.

#8 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:39

While it's true it doesn't change the fact that some games still have huge modding communities like the Fallout series and Elder Scrolls series. And it's just the simple fact that we can get mods for a lot of the games that don't on the consoles. Console gamers don't know what they are missing as far as that is concerned.

And here's another one.. Blizzard makes games for the PC only. At least so far.

True.

I prefer PC Gaming because I'm willing to spend the money for quality. No mater how much money I am willing to give Microsoft or Sony for a 360 or a PS3 I will never get a better graphical experience than what they offer at their lowest price point.

I can game in 3D on _every_ title. Not just ones that Sony/Microsoft developers support.
I can game across 3-6+ Displays at once with 3D
I can game at 2560x1600 not 1080p or in most cases 720p
I can game while doing something else on another monitor
I get a much larger amount of Indie games (Minecraft!)
I get to play MMORPG's
I get a huge back catalog of all those great PC Games from the past 2 decades
I get cheaper games! - Amazon usually lists games for £17-£25 while PS3/360 versions always £39.99-£44.99

And I know that some will make the argument that PC Gaming is very expensive, but so? I want quality and I'm willing to pay for it. At-least I have that option, I can start off with a cheap cheap £40 graphics card or get a super expensive £400 one. I have options and on a console you just don't. And besides.. everyone has a PC. Everyone here has one, everyone commenting in the Console threads have one. If you already have a PC it is cheaper to drop a new graphics card in that than buying a whole new console and that is just a fact.

It's true that the majority of people have a computer in one way or another. Whether that computer is capable of playing games isn't a question at all. The real question is, "Which games can it play?" Anything from playing Solitaire or Minesweeper to Crysis is considering PC gaming.

You raise some good points, Vice. PC gamers have so many options. I'd go as far to say that only PC gaming can offer true customization. You can change the files of your favourite game, input console commands to give you infinite health, ammo, etc. You can mod your case with fancy cathode lights or water-cooling. The possibilities are almost limitless.

I must admit though, true enjoyment of PC gaming requires a bit of money and technical know-how. It isn't for everyone. One thing console gaming has over PC gaming is simplicity. Everything from finding someone to play with to setting up a network is simple with console gaming. It removes the complexities of having to install a game, find the right patch to download, and getting the game up and running. Of course, that varies from game-to-game on the PC but the general "complexity" is still there. I think that's what turns away most people from PC gaming.

#9 Harlem39s Finest

Harlem39s Finest

Neowinian

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:55

steam (steam sales ftw)
mods
free multiplayer (unless you count specific games like WOW, but the amount of paid MP to the FREE MP is tiny)
Keyboard & Mouse
it has more uses than just gaming. surely those people in ps3/xbox360/wii section didn't buy pc's just to tell us how much better are consoles are :D
cheaper games.
i can play a 15 year old games, use dosbox and emulators for even moar games.
we had "HD" for years now :D

#10 PaulCabby

PaulCabby

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:07

For me it's simply the keyboard + mouse combo and the majority of games I do like are on the PC.

#11 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:19

Prices of games, dedicated servers and an open platform.

#12 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:20

I miss the days when I was big into the TA moddign scene. part of the SWTA team, did a lot of models for it, think they're all replaced in the spring version though. and pat of another big mod group doing a TC. That was an awesome game for modding. awesoem game for RTS too.

#13 CPressland

CPressland

www.absolute.com

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:25

My favourite game is Fallout 3,

Fallout 3 sucks on XBOX 360 due to FPS, and sucks on PS3 due to Resolution.

Thus, PC is my favourite, but I do all my gaming on my iMac using VMWare.

#14 SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 2012 Macbook Pro, CR-48 Chromebook from Google
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 11 December 2010 - 13:09

KB + Mouse..

Nothing else really matters when talking about PC gaming. I mean PC gaming sucks because of the hardware requirements, and the fact that you have to keep updating every 6 months or so just to keep up with the latest and greatest games. You are limited to a monitor size. 99% of the people out there do not use a monitor bigger than 22" but have at least a 32" television. The higher res you get in a game on PC the more latest hardware is needed to keep up. Install size sucks. Most PC games are 8 gigs or more now. Some are as large as 20gigs now. The only other plus side to PC gaming that I can think of is the ability to release patches much faster. Since you do not have to go through the console companies to release your patches, they can directly host them on their site and in turn you can get a fix for a game almost immediately after it is found/fixed.

#15 Singh400

Singh400

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2010 - 13:16

Keyboard and mouse, 'nuff said.