RealVNC

Hi to all:

I recently download Realvnc on one of my computers...I can't remember what it was exactly the edition etc. was.

After I installed it I ran a test and it failed. It said that I need to configure my Trendnet (TEW-651BR) router with port forwarding...and it showed the

public IP address that was being used.

I need to use NAT to allow others to look at what's on my computer. How do you get PAT implemented with this kind of router?

smc

What?

"I need to use NAT to allow others to look at what's on my computer. How do you get PAT implemented with this kind of router?"

If you want people from outside to access your machine that is running realvnc -- then do what it says, forward the ports on you router on to your PC private IP address.. Guessing 192.168.10.?

Here, its under virtual servers on that router.

post-14624-12925914050772.jpg

Put in the port your using, normally vnc is tcp 5800 or 5900, then the private side IP address of the machine running realvnc. Then give the people you want to connect to your machine your public IP address.

Or to be honest just use teamviewer for them to connect, then you don't have to deal with any port forwarding, etc.

Thanks for all the responses...actually I know about Logmein.com but I'm trying to get experience in configuring routers and dealing with other network problems before I venture out to get a job dealing with the "real" thing....anyway Budman...once again thanks for your answer and it seems to be all correct settings except now for some reason when I log in with the other computer I get a java type box that doesn't display much at all in it for minutes at a time so the VPN doesn't really allow me to see anything after I login with the correct password and everything... see the attached picture of when is displayed.

vnc.bmp

Really -- a 900K bmp??

You might want to take a look at how to take screenshots and better suited image formats for exchanging over the internet other than bmps ;)

Here you go so the next guy does not have to download a 900K picture of nothing ;)

post-14624-12926393099115.jpg

Depends on what port your using - yes 5800 is the java port.

How are you connecting?? What VPN are you talking about? If someone is vpn'd into your network, then you sure and hell don't need to port forward anything.

I'm using Real vnc I ran a test on the vpn and it said I should implement NAT with the router to be forwarded to the computer. I'm not sure I understood the last question sorry...

Really -- a 900K bmp??

You might want to take a look at how to take screenshots and better suited image formats for exchanging over the internet other than bmps ;)

Here you go so the next guy does not have to download a 900K picture of nothing ;)

post-14624-12926393099115.jpg

Depends on what port your using - yes 5800 is the java port.

How are you connecting?? What VPN are you talking about? If someone is vpn'd into your network, then you sure and hell don't need to port forward anything.

ok...I'm done learning about vnc for now...Logmein Hamachi 2 so much better. cool.gif

Hey, I'm almost new to this stuff. YET, I learn something almost every time I turn on this computer. And the more I learn, the more I know less. It just keeps geting bigger, just like networks. DON'T GIVE UP!

why not use dyndns? Its a bit safer then port forwarding from what I understand.

then you don't know what dyndns is to make a statement like this. One has nothing to do with the other, not even remotely close.

"ok...I'm done learning about vnc for now."

Done learning??? You didn't even get it to work -- so how is that learning anything???

"I ran a test on the vpn and it said I should implement NAT with the router to be forwarded to the computer. "

This is Gibberish.. VPN??? WHAT VPN?? Maybe your using the wrong term??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network

What did you run that did a test?? So you ran this test

post-14624-12926881716128.jpg

Please post the output of this test.. Cuz just not understanding why you keep mentioning VPN? Block out the last couple of octets of your public IP if shown, etc.

But clearly you haven't learned anything about anything to do with VNC. Other than you don't know how to make it work - atleast that my take on what you have posted.. Did you get it to work??

What is it with these idiots posting on Neowin these days in the networking section. They seem to throw a few terms together and make up a few sentences and they seem to think they know what they are talking about. I am all for learning but please learn the facts before you start throwing sentences round like this . . .

why not use dyndns? Its a bit safer then port forwarding from what I understand.

It boils my **** sometimes!

I would also recommend Hamachi 2. That way you can create a VPN instead of opening a port on your system.

Then go to http://www.grc.com/passwords and grab your self a nice long password.

I just really don't like Version 2 of hamachi, because they took away the simple check mark box to turn off File sharing.

Once they add your computer to hamachi, they should be able to open the vnc viewer and type in your hamachi address.