LegendofZeldaSkywardSwordLogo.jpg

Platforms

• Nintendo Wii

Release Date

• TBA 2011

Game Info

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword introduces full motion control enabled by the Wii MotionPlus accessory, which synchronizes player movements with Link's actions while offering intuitive play control.

With the Wii MotionPlus accessory, every movement of Link's sword matches the player's motion with exact precision. If players motion left to right, Link swings from left to right. The precision play control is applied to enemies as well, as players must contemplate strategy when battling opponents that actively try to defend against attacks.

Screenshots
the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-201012
the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-201009
the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-201006

Trailers

News Sources
IGN

Yay new Zelda, but I still wish it was in HD.

Agreed, what Nintendo could have done is held this back for the next Wii, with full 1080p support and stuff.

Maybe they're pulling a Twilight Princess with this, show it now for the current generation, and release for both consoles. TP was available for Gamecube too.

Agreed, what Nintendo could have done is held this back for the next Wii, with full 1080p support and stuff.

Maybe they're pulling a Twilight Princess with this, show it now for the current generation, and release for both consoles. TP was available for Gamecube too.

Yeah these cell shaded games look drop dead gorgeous in HD (see Ni No Kuni for PS3).

To bring up an old debate, bit early for an "Official Topic" isn't it? :p

Yay new Zelda, but I still wish it was in HD.

Worst thing about this gen is all these loved franchises that Nintendo own, which end up not looking that nice on a modern TV because they didn't want to invest in HD.

Even some sort of proper up-scaler would have been good instead of pretending HD doesn't exist at all.

Hopefully Nintendo catch up with their next console, a HD Zelda on the lines of OoT/TP would be awesome.

• 5 months later...

Worst thing about this gen is all these loved franchises that Nintendo own, which end up not looking that nice on a modern TV because they didn't want to invest in HD.

Even some sort of proper up-scaler would have been good instead of pretending HD doesn't exist at all.

I would have to agree. Even if you can't pump out detailed graphics they could have at least allowed the game to render at HD resolutions.

The art style is good, but there seems to be an intentional lack of lighting, which looks a bit crap. Maybe it's that these screenshots are too bright. :p

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm actually pretty excited about this release now.

... However....

It's on the Wii. :[

I couldn't stand Twilight Princess on the Wii, but I loved it on the Gamecube. Shame! Perhaps the controls have improved.

... However....

I couldn't stand Twilight Princess on the Wii, but I loved it on the Gamecube. Shame! Perhaps the controls have improved.

BUY A POWER RIG

EMULATE THAT ****

???

PROFIT

• 4 weeks later...

... However....

I rarely play the Wii myself, mostly for my daughter, but Twilight Princess I enjoyed quite a bit. (Although I do agree, I think I liked the GC version better on an emulator.) Looking forward to this one, been hooked on the series since day one with the NES.

If you don't have a sub to gameinformer find a way to read the cover story. I just can't find a way to sum it up and do it justice. So many great changes to make this fresh along with some cool stuff in honor of the 25th anniversary.

• 1 month later...

Man even though it's like $10 stateside that cover is nice and I might have to buy it. Glad to see it get a perfect score, but damn is that way in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Skyward sword brings in another perfect score from Gameinformer. Not the full review but a chunk of it/

Skyward Sword?s combat and puzzle-solving rise above the majority of Wii releases (and even most recent Zelda games) thanks to the clever and challenging implementation of motion controls. Most Zelda titles have simplistic combat where mashing a single button turns into a frenzy of flourish-filled combos. Skyward Sword demands a much higher level of patience and mastery. The direction you swing the Wii remote directly correlates to the angle the sword slices in-game, and enemies are smart and fast enough to block incoming attacks.

I had concerns that carefully plotting my attacks for every swing would get boring or frustrating, but the opposite was true. I?ve never felt as engaged or interested in the combat portion of a Zelda game as with Skyward Sword. If you run into a group of enemies waggling the Wii remote like a madman, you will be torn to shreds. Success in swordplay depends on studying opponents? moves and attacking at the right time and from the right angle. When the correct method to defeat each foe finally clicked, I felt a sense of satisfaction that repeatedly tapping the A button never provided.

This impressive combat system leads to some of the most interesting boss battles in the series? history. Whether you?re fighting a giant scorpion or a sword-swinging robot, Skyward Sword rarely falls back on the formula of using a tool to knock out the boss and then attacking it three times in a row. You need to be much smarter and much more persistent to best these bad guys. In fact, the last two boss encounters are the most difficult fights in any Zelda game thus far.

IGN gave it 10/10

It's fitting that Skyward Sword arrives on Zelda's 25th anniversary, because it truly pulls from the franchise's entire history, even addressing the winding narrative directly within its story. It captures a grandness and scope we haven't seen since the 2D era. It advances combat and control in the most significant way since Ocarina of Time. It finds a tonal and visual harmony between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. And, most importantly, it leaves a mark on the franchise that future installments will no doubt draw inspiration from for years to come.

It appears Nintendo has done it, they have created a game better then OoT.

Even better than Ocarina of Time. Oh, the 20th can't come soon enough.

I have Skyrim and the SWTOR beta to play this weekend yet all I can think about is Zelda, with the game on the 20th and the concert in Dallas on Jan 10th.