Which Smart Android phone should I go for

26004.jpg3.jpg

Okay I'm in a bit of a fuddle at the moment because I cannot decide on which phone to get, both phone have very good reviews but it does not matter which review I read HTC always seam to come out on top. One of the draw backs with the Samsung Galaxy and I think Samsung really shot their selves in the foot with this one. There is no flash for the camera...! Why on earth Samsung decided not to put a flash on a very expensive piece of kit I don't know. So I asked them... "They said that the phone was so advanced it didn't need a flash." Right that does not actually answer my question and I found the question to be a bit lame, so maybe the nice people of neowin can answer this for me and help me decide on which one to get. This phone will be con contract to I can upgrade to another phone. Battery life on the Desire HD is quite bad apparently.

Battery life on the DHD is indeed bad, I have written a review for the device in the reviews section if you are interested. I have ordered myself a 1600 mAh battery from a seller on eBay for about £2.50. Coming from Hong Kong so it may take up to 2 weeks, but the seller had a lot of positive feedback, for such a small price I feel it's a worthwhile investment, the device should last as long as the original Desire with a 1600 mAh battery

If the camera is the central issue to you, and you are likely to need the flash, the DHD is the obvious choice. Should only be a problem if you shoot in low light conditions though. Personally my vote is for the DHD just because of it having Sense, but they're both great phones

Battery life on the DHD is indeed bad, I have written a review for the device in the reviews section if you are interested.

If the camera is the central issue to you, and you are likely to need the flash, the DHD is the obvious choice. Should only be a problem if you shoot in low light conditions though. Personally my vote is for the DHD just because of it having Sense, but they're both great phones

Remember that HTC don't ship the batteries calibrated, hence the poor battery life to start with. It takes a few charge cycles to get the battery to full capacity.

Anyway, the DHD gets my vote as well.

Remember that HTC don't ship the batteries calibrated, hence the poor battery life to start with. It takes a few charge cycles to get the battery to full capacity.

Anyway, the DHD gets my vote as well.

Even when calibrated, the battery life is still pretty poor. Better, yes but still very poor. They only shipped a 1,230 mAh battery which is dreadfully underpowered for such a powerful phone.

Why not the Nexus S?

I was thinking of Nexus S but the deal I have with this phone is so good it's a darn good offer.

If you have no problems rooting and using a custom ROM then the GS is a great device, HTC phones are always top quality too.

As for the whole no flash bit, the GS has a built in night mode that according to reviews is pretty darn good, me I don't take many pictures so I don't care about it

Hardware wise the GS is going to be a bit better than the HTC so if you plan on keeping it for a while that's a consideration

Depends on what you want mostly out of it. As a package as a whole in general HTC have better complete package with a few cons like battery life and stuff but if your after a media focused phone samsung galaxy s is definitely better. If you look at samsungs camera quality it's far better specially the 720p recording and even in low light it's good quality unlike HTC's which go into 20fps noisy stutter. But htc sense 2 is far better then touchwiz. So yeah just depends where your ideal focus lays with smartphones.

I have a Galaxy S with US Cellular, and honestly, I'm not too fond of the interface with it. I've noticed that my brother's HTC has a much better interface, and a lot less bloatware. Battery life on the Galaxy S is alright, I get about a day, day and a half worth of use on a charge, which isn't too bad compared to some phones I've owned. It's also worth noting that HTC tends to get software updates out for their phones faster than Samsung.

Personally though, if my contract was up and I was gonna get another Android phone, I'd probably go with HTC.

Go for the EVO. Samsung has a reputation for not updating their phones. Proof of that is the fact that they promised Galaxy S customers Android 2.2 by the end of November. Well, guess what? It's nowhere to be seen. By the time Samsung updates their phones to Android 2.2, the EVO will have Android 3.0.

EVO battery worries you? Get this battery instead and I promise, it will last you a few days with a 28 hour talk time: http://www.seidioonline.com/product-p/bacy35hev4-bk.htm

I got it for $49.00 at Amazon

Go for the EVO. Samsung has a reputation for not updating their phones. Proof of that is the fact that they promised Galaxy S customers Android 2.2 by the end of November. Well, guess what? It's nowhere to be seen. By the time Samsung updates their phones to Android 2.2, the EVO will have Android 3.0.

EVO battery worries you? Get this battery instead and I promise, it will last you a few days with a 28 hour talk time: http://www.seidioonline.com/product-p/bacy35hev4-bk.htm

I got it for $49.00 at Amazon

Vibrant (T Mobile Galaxy S) Just got 2.2 recently, however been using Team Whiskey Rom and it blows it away in terms of performance and batter life.

I did try the official 2.2 and have to admit it's not bad, and a big improvement over the official 2.1

I can't speak for HTC, however Galaxy S with proper rom is amazing.

I'm an HTC fan, but I have to admit that the Galaxy S has better hardware - faster processor, gpu, amazing screen. Though I didn't realize there was no flash so that's kind of lame.

I'm not a big fan of Sense on Android (haven't tried the latest version) but it's way better than TouchWiz. You can always use a third-party launcher or load a different rom either way.

I would go with a Galaxy S, but I really don't like how the phone looks. If you don't mind the look of the phone or the lack of flash then you're better off with the Galaxy S. At the same time the DHD is a very capable phone, too, so you really won't be missing out on anything besides the S-AMOLED screen (which I do love), plus you get a better looking phone that comes with a better interface out the box.

It's a win-win situation really.

HTC HD2 <3

Or this. :)

Running my Samsung Galaxy S rooted with 2.2.1 installed. It's a great phone, one of the best Android phones and I'd heartily recommend it :)

Anything released in '10 should be fine. I personally own a Desire and love it. There are good offerings from Samsung. I picked up a San Francisco last week for my sister, and that too is great. Amazing phone for the price you get it at!

Well, out of the two, the Galaxy S is the better phone, but if the model you'd get doesn't have a flash, and that's important to you, then the choice is clear. I have a Captivate, one of the models without a flash, and it is a little bit of a pain in the ass, but lets be honest, camera phone pics with flash look like **** anyway, so the only thing you're really missing out on is a handy flashlight, which WOULD be nice.

But you would be a bit silly to buy a phone now. Wait a couple of months and all the new phones will be out and you can either pick from them, or pick one of these at a reduced price.

I haven't found the need for flash for my Galaxy S. It takes pretty damn good natural looking photos and top quality videos in darkened areas such as nightclubs, bars and gigs. Flash on phones always makes peoples faces shine like the moon. The only real need for flash I'd say is for areas with zero light and if you desperately need to use your phone as a torch. The DHD is a good phone, no doubt, but battery life really suffers. The Galaxy S has terrific battery life. Either way, you can't go wrong with either phone. Play with both in a shop and see which one you prefer.