Desktop NAS remote access?!

I'm looking to purchase a desktop NAS drive but really need the best remote access possible... Does anyone have experience in this field and be able to suggest a drive that would suite my needs?! I've read that most of them come with web based browsing software (of which requires a subscription) but surely they must be accessible via FTP or something?!

P.S. Need at least 1TB...

Thanks.

most NAS devices these days are able to be SSH'd into to gain remote access. I own a QNAP NAS box and can ssh into it, and a i believe it applies to most of other NAS boxes that QNAP makes

I'm looking to purchase a desktop NAS drive but really need the best remote access possible... Does anyone have experience in this field and be able to suggest a drive that would suite my needs?! I've read that most of them come with web based browsing software (of which requires a subscription) but surely they must be accessible via FTP or something?!

P.S. Need at least 1TB...

Thanks.

NAS boxes do not require any type of subscription. The units themselves contain their own webserver (like a Router) which is accessible to your internal LAN. Then you simply type the IP of the NAS in to any web browser to login and control the NAS.

Most NAS's will support SAMBA Shares, AFS, FTP as standard. Then some will also support HTTP file downloading, uPnP streaming and other file sharing services.

Western Digital MyBookWorld were popular for a while a very moddable however there is most likely a better product out there these days.

You could always try a software NAS like Unraid, then you only need to have hardware laying around to build it.

"with web based browsing software (of which requires a subscription)"

Love to know where you got this idea from?? That makes no sense at all -- are you thinking of online storage?? Like dropbox or something, sure you get a few free GB but if you wanted 1TB then sure you would have to pay!

As stated most any decent nas is going to support multiple file sharing protocols, NFS, SMB, AFS, FTP, WEBDAV, ISCSI, HTTP, etc. etc. They are going to give you many many ways to access your files. And yes many will even be media servers using DLNA or UPnP -- shoot many of them even have bittorrent clients built in, etc.

here is good rated one as example on newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822108042

Does ******** of stuff ;)

http://www.synology.com/us/products/DS110j/spec.php

Webserver, Itunes, etc.. etc.. $149 at newegg.. Seems like a fair price. You have to add the HDD.

why not have a old computer with a TB drive or a few TB drives on it, throw on a ftp server and away you go. It may be cheaper (if you have an old pc laying around, a P3 is more than enough to run a dedicated ftp server) than looking for a nas solution being that TB drives can be had for $50-70 usd. Hell a 2TB drive is about $110

Sure if he has an old computer laying around then you got Unraid or FreeNAS, OpenFiler, Amahi Home Server, or any linux distro can be the OS for free and provide any type of file access you could dream of.

But then again there is something to be said about a tiny little box not much bigger than your disk(s) vs full sized computer which is what your really buying with any NAS product -- just very limited cpu horsepower and quite often a limited type of OS.

hell a 2TB is $79

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152245

BTW that looks like the same drive for $30 less ;) hehehe

I use a QNAP NAS TS-110 and it doesn't require any subscription, i can access my NAS by going to http://myip .. login and control the full NAS from there, as wel as start downloads, torrents, access all files etc..