• 2 weeks later...

Soooo... when's dynamicsquid (Neowin's server) gonna be back up?

It isn't "Neowin's" server per-se, but it's where a few of us regularly hang out, such as myself and Meph. It's been out of action for a long time now and I doubt it's coming up again any time in the near future. I've moved over to Reddit's PVE server in the meantime.

• 3 weeks later...

Minecraft 1.1 is out:

We are excited to announce that Minecraft 1.1 is out!

Jeb and Jon have been hard at work squashing bugs and creating amazing new features.

Below is a list of some of the added features:

- Bow Enchantments

- Golden Apple recipe

- New language translations.

- Slightly smoothed color transitions between biomes

- Reduced brewing time to 20 seconds

- Added spawn eggs to creative (the colors of the eggs even look like the mobs)

- Added world type options (currently only super-flat and default)

- Removed collision box from ladders

- Sheep eat grass and regain their wool

Plus many bug fixes!

Want to see Minecraft 1.1 in action. Check out this video by the talented H.A.T. Films guys!

Source: Mojang.com

Check out the album for my server. I imported that underground city and the lighthouse from schematics, but everything else my friend and I built from scratch.

P.S. - If anybody wants to come build with me, just PM me. My friends and I usually communicate our plans over Skype, so if you have that it will be helpful.

Been working on my own server for a few months now, have a city near spawn that is built inside a ravine under a mountain. the city is huge and all underground.

Notch is now asking the Minecraft user base whether or not it's ok to add player tracking to the game:

A poll on letting us snoop

We have no idea how you?re playing the Minecraft.

Right now, the only way we can figure out roughly what people are doing with the game is to track logins. Once you?re logged in, we have no idea what happens.

I was thinking it would be awesomely cool to add some kind of player tracking to the game. This would work by having the game connect to minecraft.net and send some anonymous and non-private data about the game, such as current game mode (single player, multiplayer), operating system (windows? mac?), how long you?ve been playing for (so we know how long a game session is), and whether or not you?re playing the downloaded game, or the applet on the webpage. It would probably connect every ten minutes or so so we can get some semi-realtime data. We?d share the data with the community, as usual.

Naturally, the data sent will be fully anonymous, so it wouldn?t contain any session information or your user name, and it wouldn?t send any sensitive information that you might not want to share.

Would you be ok with this? We?d really appreciate having that data!

Source: The World of Notch

Personally I have no problem with this as long as he sticks to the promise of anonymising the data and making it an opt-out feature.

• 3 weeks later...

Some more changes in this week's snapshot:

• Added new world file format called ?Anvil? (256 max height and 4096 block IDs*)
  • Multi-player light calculations do no longer cause affected blocks to be transmitted to the clients, instead the clients will recalculate the light on their own
  • Villagers will repopulate villages based on how many houses there are available
  • Some nights in villages will be worse than others?
  • Added a redstone-controlled light source
  • Decreased chance for the rare mob drops
  • All animals use the new AI system now

(Emphasis mine)

Also, babies.

children1.png

Source: Mojang blog

"Multi-player light calculations do no longer cause affected blocks to be transmitted to the clients, instead the clients will recalculate the light on their own"

Does that mean less lagg?

Yeah, every time somebody places a light or a redstone torch is turned on/off, only the information about that single block will be transmitted, vs. every single block within the range of the light.

It should make redstone machinery less laggy, as only the state of the redstone will be updated, vs. redstone state + random blocks around it.