Ubuntu 10.10 screen resolution

Hi guys i am having problems with my screen resolution , i can't set my desktops screen resolution to 1280 x 1024 as its a 17 inch monitor but ubuntu is defaulting it to 1024 x 768 and the highest i can choose is 1360 x 768 using ubuntu's default monitor preferences or using ArandR. If anyone can help me get my resolution set to 1280 x 1024 i would be grateful.

Go here and see if all your drivers are installed correctly!

post-23703-0-03580600-1299444835.jpg

You will then get this box and it should tell you whether or not your video drivers are as they should be!

post-23703-0-44099500-1299444947.jpg

Hope that this helps!

• Like 3

btw.. i dont know the reason behind this.. but even with the appropriate resolution u'll feel that u're screen space is smaller that windows...

In windows u feel things are smaller, clearer and ur screen has more space...

i dont know how to explain this.. lol

If you're just using the default driver, you could try setting a different one and running Arandr as root to make sure it sticks. I had problems many moons ago with Ubuntu not taking my resolution. I don't remember what exactly got it to work but switching drivers, reinstalling them and running as root should help

btw.. i dont know the reason behind this.. but even with the appropriate resolution u'll feel that u're screen space is smaller that windows...

In windows u feel things are smaller, clearer and ur screen has more space...

i dont know how to explain this.. lol

One of the main reasons is the fonts are a lot bigger. I find shrinking them to 9pt works well for me.

Hi guys thanks for the response , my graphics card on my desktop is an intel graphics im not sure of the top of my head which one it is but i can find out if that helps also i have tried looking for additional drivers and i am unable to find any.

Give me EXACT name and info of your display and videocard and I will give you a config file that you can replace in ubuntu(manual when display is not recognised which I had with my medion lcd's)

You can give this a go:

Step-by-step to Enable Intel Graphics Driver for Ubuntu 10.10:

Install the updated Intel graphics driver by:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:glasen/intel-driver

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

To enable the Intel driver you need to create a file called /var/log/xorg.conf containing the following:

Section "Device"

Identifier "Configured Video Device"

Driver "intel"

EndSection

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "Configured Monitor"

EndSection

Section "Screen"

Identifier "Default Screen"

Monitor "Configured Monitor"

Device "Configured Video Device"

X freezes (GPU lockups) are still being experienced on i830, i845, and i855 chips. There is a kernel patch for the Intel 855 series chips that appears to fix the system freezes. After re-enabling the Intel driver as above, i855 users can set by this:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:glasen/855gm-fix

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install dkms 855gm-fix-dkms

This will provide an updated version of xserver-xorg-video-intel that may provide better results than what you currently have. After you add the the repository run:

sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade

If you don't receive updates to the xserver-xorg-video-intel then run:

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel

• Like 1

The Graphics Card is Intel 82865G graphics controller , my screen is a 17 inch fujitsu simens Unfortunately i dont know the exact model of the screen as i purchased it on ebay

link of the purchase page at ebay?

any print on the back or foot with numbers or such things?

since fujitsu made more then one 17inch display...

You can give this a go:

Step-by-step to Enable Intel Graphics Driver for Ubuntu 10.10:

Install the updated Intel graphics driver by:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:glasen/intel-driver

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

To enable the Intel driver you need to create a file called /var/log/xorg.conf containing the following:

Section "Device"

Identifier "Configured Video Device"

Driver "intel"

EndSection

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "Configured Monitor"

EndSection

Section "Screen"

Identifier "Default Screen"

Monitor "Configured Monitor"

Device "Configured Video Device"

X freezes (GPU lockups) are still being experienced on i830, i845, and i855 chips. There is a kernel patch for the Intel 855 series chips that appears to fix the system freezes. After re-enabling the Intel driver as above, i855 users can set by this:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:glasen/855gm-fix

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install dkms 855gm-fix-dkms

This will provide an updated version of xserver-xorg-video-intel that may provide better results than what you currently have. After you add the the repository run:

sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade

If you don't receive updates to the xserver-xorg-video-intel then run:

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel

Can work but I think the problem is that his display is not reconised and that the graphic card just works ok...(kinda standard for fujitsu displays...)

The Graphics Card is Intel 82865G graphics controller , my screen is a 17 inch fujitsu simens Unfortunately i dont know the exact model of the screen as i purchased it on ebay

hmm the family pack one I guess ;P

got same intel chipset in my medion desktop so I'm sure it's about the display and not the graphic card/chipset

press Alt+F2 then run "gksudo nautilus /etc/X11"

If you're running Unity then you need to open a terminal and run following command "sudo nautilus /etc/X11"

then rename "xorg.conf" to "xorg.conf.bak" (if exist)

then download following file: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/4281191/xorg.conf and place it inside the folder

then restart and hope the screen resolution is ok now :)

edit: posted wrong command at first which is fixed now ;)

I have used the config that you provided and selected my resolution but when it turns to 1280 x 1024 half my screen goes missing and i am only able to see the bottom half of my desktop

I have used the config that you provided and selected my resolution but when it turns to 1280 x 1024 half my screen goes missing and i am only able to see the bottom half of my desktop

try to change the settings of your display or hit the auto adjust button.

if still not work tell me it then so I can try to find out whats wrong

i still have monitor unknown , also i have tried installing the intel drivers and they are not working either , also when i try and change the screen resolution using ArandR if i try and change the resoultion it shows the some of the screen being cut of if you want i will upload a printscreen of it happening.

I have got it working now thanks for the help seahorsepip and everyone else

Yay I knew that the values were correct in my latest .conf file ;P

Chances are that your 17 inch monitor, can't handle that resolution. It's too small.

Go buy a bigger monitor.

first do some research before you say something...