Samsung: HDD prototypes with up to one terabyte per disc

This would be cool for the main C: drive, of course I see GPT & EFI really taking off then.

The company Samsung has indicated that it managed to, on hard drives significantly increase the storage density. At their main booth at CeBIT (Hall 17 D38) provides manufacturers a new 2 terabyte hard drive called HN-D201RAE from where the storage capacity only, only two magnetic disks (platters) with 1 TB spread is up. That would mean a new record. Currently commercially available 3.5-inch drives exceeding 750 GByte per disk.

The HN-min D201RAE belongs to the new hard drive family Spinpoint EcoGreen F6, rotated at 5400 rpm, works with 32 MB cache and can be connected via SATA 6G to the computer. It will be the first 3.5-inch drive from Samsung with ramp load, that is not park the heads of the media, but outside on a ramp as soon as off the record. This can reduce the vulnerability to shocks, making it use the other hard drive manufacturers have long not only in notebook drives.

In addition to a smaller model with only one disk (1 TB) Samsung will also build models with three or four slices, then put the total of 3 and 4 TB. A date for when these plates will go on sale, could not even call the manufacturer. Only a very vague "within this year," he elicited. Until then, may also still change the name of the disk. Anyway surprised that the manufacturer to replace its Spinpoint EcoGreen F4 not an F5, but also a F6 will unstick.

Faster is comfortable with new 2.5-inch drives for notebooks to be expected. The HN M101MBB from the new series Spinpoint M8, the manufacturer also at the CeBIT show is to, first 1-terabyte hard drive for notebooks with the appropriate height of 9.5 millimeters all be. There capacity is distributed to the two magnetic disks with 500 GB. The drive with 3 Gb / s faster Serial ATA interface operates with 8 MB cache, rotated at 5400 rpm and will eventually come as early as April in trade.

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Festplatten-Prototypen-mit-bis-zu-einem-Terabyte-pro-Scheibe-1201521.html

I just got a new 2TB WD Green last week so until that starts to run dry I'm in no real rush for more space. On the flip side when the time does come they'll probably have 4TB or more drives out for sale.

I just got a new 2TB WD Green last week so until that starts to run dry I'm in no real rush for more space. On the flip side when the time does come they'll probably have 4TB or more drives out for sale.

exactly. because some people load up on overkill amounts of space they probably won't use up into the foreseeable future which is just screwing themselves over simply because they are better off getting say a 2TB for now and wait til that's used and by then you could probably find 3-4TB drives for reasonably cheap. plus doing it that way would mean you will have to remove less drives to. it just makes more sense getting the biggest reasonably priced drive you can get now for storage and waiting til your struggling for space before buying more because then it will be cheaper and larger capacity if you end up running out a year or two down the road.

because i got a 2TB (for $80. Samsung 2TB 5400RPM) a month or two ago now and that will tie me over for a while now as it's a solid storage drive.

4TB or more there goes the reliability with 3/4+ platters :no: