Artificial Trees to Produce Oxygen

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 sava700

sava700

• 1,408 posts
  • Phone: nice phone

Posted 18 March 2011 - 14:11

pretty awesome.. you can plant these on the roof's of buildings considering they are taking up land where you would plant tree's! They are made of recycled plastic so that helps in other ways.

#17 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:19

Those are awesome. I want one. It looks like something from a sci-fi movie.

#18 splur

splur

Neowinian

• 1,266 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:21

It removes CO2, does it actually create oxygen?

#19 BoredBozirini

BoredBozirini

Bozrini Tringuini

• 3,804 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 15:35

and now its going to become the times of artificial trees instead of real ones. Next time ill be walking through the park looking at thease hideous things

Gotta adapt to the modern times.

#20 vetFred Derf

Fred Derf

Klaatu barada nikto

• 44,440 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 15:47

Eugenics buddy, we all know how that ended in Star Trek :no:

Posted Image

I think you're confused. Eugenic had little to do with Star Trek, that was actually Genetic modification. Eugenics, doesn't need to do genetic modification, it's about removing the weak and unwanted form the gene pool. and was supported by a lot of people before WWII, including some former American presidents and some other famous geniuses at the time. but after Hitler put it into practice it became kind of unpopular to be a eugenics supporter so they all pretended that never happened.

The idea was that they used genetic modification to accelerate the goals of Eugenics.

In term of the actual topic,

This sort of thing would be good in a town square or open public space but I don't see it practical for residential neighbourhoods or street level shopping areas.

#21 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,658 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 19 March 2011 - 16:04

very interesting

Something like this would be useful in say, interstellar space travel. Any carbon dioxide emissions could be converted to oxygen for the crew.

well ..... Yeah.

the things are basically large scale CO2 scrubbers

#22 UN1X

UN1X

Neowinian

• 96 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 13:58

They should try modifying the biology of living organisms such as *real trees* instead of making contraptions like that... Maybe make them grow faster and rely on water less. They could possibly try and make the trees share roots and work together to deliver water to the tree that needs it the most. All by modifying the biology to make them better.

Still ****es me off they don't try experiments on improving human DNA, but no, people will whine that clones will be born and debate who is the real one and who is the clone ---> "I'm you *******! **** off, this is my life!" and then go on about how they don't have souls either... Serously people contradict themselves way too much, clones aren't going to mutate into dinosaurs with all your memories, they are going to be a step forward to better immune systems and more durable body parts like joints and knees as examples.

Don't f**k with nature. These trees are acceptable, because nature isn't being screwed with.

They are machines that mimic nature, positively.

#23 PyX

PyX

Neowinian Senior

• 6,156 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:32

It would fit in Final Fantasy XIII’s only city (can’t remember the name).

Does it produce MORE oxygen than regular trees? If it produces like 100 times more, it could be reaaaaaaaally nice. Less than that, no. But they got the style, man.

#24 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,680 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 13:52

very interesting

well ..... Yeah.

the things are basically large scale CO2 scrubbers

Global warming, solved. ;)

#25 Adny Grey

Adny Grey

Resident One Post Wonder

• 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:36

Global warming getting solved so easily.Then what will these countries and NGO's fight for :unsure: :rolleyes: :cool:

#26 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 6,830 posts
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:19

Here's an idea... stop chopping down real trees ;)

I can see these devices having good real world implementations though. So long as they work in harmony alongside nature and that corperations don;t use them as an excuse to not farm natural trees in an ethical manner.

#27 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,450 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:29

Let's plant install some on Mars or the Moon.

#28 pixelpixel88

pixelpixel88

Neowinian

• 24 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:47

Maybe im wrong, but i guess Mars and the Moon dont have that kind of atmosphere that would keep the oxygen in its place, and these "plants" need co2 to produce oxygen, im not sure mars or the moon has it in an enough amount. These are just guessings, im not an expert at all, i hope someone can correct me if im wrong :D

#29 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,786 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:58

OK, so... How much CO2 is generated to convert those old plastic bottles into these "trees"? They'd better return more than was used to create them, otherwise you still have a net loss. :p

#30 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,544 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 15:14

Just plant fast growing real trees that can be harvested for additional uses when mature.

Oops - that's pretty much how most forestry is done now.