General Boxing Thread!

30 minutes ago, metallithrax said:

Joshua v Whyte - both unbeaten - is the heavyweight division getting some names again?

...aaaand it's over in the 7th! What a knockout! :woot: The heavyweight division's definitely got a new big name in Joshua; he definitely showed tonight that he's ready for the big fights. He may have never gone past the 3rd round before tonight, but he took plenty of big hits from Whyte throughout. Fury's definitely screwed; if Klitschko doesn't get his revenge in the rematch, then I'm certain Joshua will knock him out.

On 12/12/2015, 23:37:34, MightyJordan said:

...aaaand it's over in the 7th! What a knockout! :woot: The heavyweight division's definitely got a new big name in Joshua; he definitely showed tonight that he's ready for the big fights. He may have never gone past the 3rd round before tonight, but he took plenty of big hits from Whyte throughout. Fury's definitely screwed; if Klitschko doesn't get his revenge in the rematch, then I'm certain Joshua will knock him out.

On the contrary, although Joshua won convincingly, he didn't look ready for the big fights. He still needs quite a bit of experience under his belt before he can go toe to toe with the likes of Fury/Klitschko. He almost gassed himself in the 2nd when he smelt the near KO and it took him a couple of rounds to recover with Whyte winning the round immediately after and getting Joshua on the ropes. It'll be interesting how he can fairs after a potential a 12 round decision fight. I'd definitely like to see a Joshua vs Haye/Chisora fight at some point soon, if he can get those 2 out of the way, he'll definitely be on the road to a title fight with Fury/Klitschko.

On 12/16/2015 at 11:09 AM, Zoom7000 said:

On the contrary, although Joshua won convincingly, he didn't look ready for the big fights. He still needs quite a bit of experience under his belt before he can go toe to toe with the likes of Fury/Klitschko. He almost gassed himself in the 2nd when he smelt the near KO and it took him a couple of rounds to recover with Whyte winning the round immediately after and getting Joshua on the ropes. It'll be interesting how he can fairs after a potential a 12 round decision fight. I'd definitely like to see a Joshua vs Haye/Chisora fight at some point soon, if he can get those 2 out of the way, he'll definitely be on the road to a title fight with Fury/Klitschko.

Well, Haye's easing himself back into the sport next month by fighting effectively a Twitter troll.,.

2EC5664C00000578-0-image-a-75_1448380934

...meanwhile, it looks like Joshua's gonna dodge Chisora to go for the European title instead: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/anthony-joshua-snub-dereck-chisora-7025307

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Let's try reviving this again; see if there's still any interest around here.

So, Anthony Joshua won the world title, and defended it on Saturday against Dominic Breazeale. Good times!

Meanwhile, Tyson Fury sprained his ankle two weeks before the rematch with Wladimir Klitschko, and it's been revealed he tested positive for a banned substance around the time of his match with Christian Hammer last year. Bad times.

And Gennady Golovkin vs. Canelo Alvarez isn't happening just yet, because...

Instead, GGG now looks set to fight Chris Eubank, Jr.!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/8/2016 at 5:57 PM, MightyJordan said:

Scratch that!

...aaaand GGG just won in the 5th; Brook's corner threw in the towel. Hell of a fight, good effort from Brook, especially since he was seeing double/triple from the 2nd round, but Golovkin showed why he's arguably the best pound-for-pound boxer in the world right now.

On 9/10/2016 at 11:50 PM, MightyJordan said:

...aaaand GGG just won in the 5th; Brook's corner threw in the towel. Hell of a fight, good effort from Brook, especially since he was seeing double/triple from the 2nd round, but Golovkin showed why he's arguably the best pound-for-pound boxer in the world right now.

Was a fun fight, he says Brook didn't hurt him but you could see GGG got a bit rattled once or twice. GGG vs Canelo is the dream

• 2 weeks later...

After the two postponements, the failed drugs test from before the first fight against Wladimir Klitschko last year, and most recently, the positive test for cocaine, at last, some great news for the heavyweight division: Tyson Fury's announced his retirement! :rofl:

I think we already know what'll happen now: Joshua vs. Klitschko next month. :woot: 

Oh, also, well done to Nathan Cleverly winning the WBA light-heavyweight title over the weekend. Shame it was via injury, but there's gonna be a rematch, so that'll hopefully settle things.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2016 at 1:24 PM, MightyJordan said:

After the two postponements, the failed drugs test from before the first fight against Wladimir Klitschko last year, and most recently, the positive test for cocaine, at last, some great news for the heavyweight division: Tyson Fury's announced his retirement! :rofl:

...ok, so he U-turned on that within hours, but since then, he's had his boxing license suspended, and he's vacated his two remaining world titles before he got stripped of those, as well (the WBO were going to decide on that next week), so good riddance. That paves the way for Anthony Joshua to potentially become the next Lennox Lewis.

• 6 months later...
On 10/13/2016 at 11:38 PM, MightyJordan said:

That paves the way for Anthony Joshua to potentially become the next Lennox Lewis.

...and six months later, here we are.

Mamma Mia, that was a good fight last night, and so was Scott Quigg vs. Viorel Simion beforehand; that one was an absolute slugfest from start to finish. AJ's finally proven he's the real deal, but bloody hell did he give us all a scare from round 6 onwards.

Edited by MightyJordan

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Damo R. said:

Floyd by an easy UD

I'm tempted to bet on this at PaddyPower...

595ad5f8dcddb_screenshot-www.paddypower.com2017-07-0400-40-30.thumb.png.dad59ddca336709776e6dc5a33d0976b.png

8 minutes ago, MightyJordan said:

I'm tempted to bet on this at PaddyPower...

595ad5f8dcddb_screenshot-www.paddypower.com2017-07-0400-40-30.thumb.png.dad59ddca336709776e6dc5a33d0976b.png

I think he will resort to MMA tactics because he knows he wont be winning

11 minutes ago, Damo R. said:

I think he will resort to MMA tactics because he knows he wont be winning

I'm thinking similarly, but for different reasons: I just wouldn't put it past him to troll everyone and get himself DQ'ed either by a kick or a takedown, or even recreating Rowdy Roddy Piper vs. Mr. T at WrestleMania 2 and body slamming Mayweather.

13 minutes ago, Damo R. said:

Here is Conor sparring with a professional boxer and tell me he's going to last 12

Stranger things have happened, like Jeff Horn going the distance against Manny Pacquiao over the weekend, and look what happened there! :p