Meet the browser: Firefox Next

Something happened on v42, I was on beta channel and suddenly it was updated from b9 to 42.0 stable version and I'm still on beta channel.

so, how can I download the v43 beta 1?

any ideas?

Something happened on v42, I was on beta channel and suddenly it was updated from b9 to 42.0 stable version and I'm still on beta channel.

any ideas?

there is no v43 Beta. Version 42 isnt out yet

any ideas?

it probably upgraded you to 42 rc1.

The version attribute is something that's been done for years (I think even as far back as pre-Firefox Gecko), adding new reserved keywords is hard because it can conflict with existing variable names in code (A dev opting into a newer JS version sees the error, The browser opting the code in just breaks it for end users)

They raise the default version pretty quickly, it's not a huge issue.

Edit: I can't read page numbers and have no idea how to add a quote so this is for the last page (Y)

it probably upgraded you to 42 rc1.

Probably yeah! but thanks that I cannot continue testing my ad-ons I'm developing hehehe, seems I need to install a nightly build now, which I do not want because I don't want it to interfere with my daily surfing browser and dev test day.

Probably yeah! but thanks that I cannot continue testing my ad-ons I'm developing hehehe, seems I need to install a nightly build now, which I do not want because I don't want it to interfere with my daily surfing browser and dev test day.

you could always download the portable version from PortableApps.com that way it uses a separate profile

The version attribute is something that's been done for years (I think even as far back as pre-Firefox Gecko), adding new reserved keywords is hard because it can conflict with existing variable names in code (A dev opting into a newer JS version sees the error, The browser opting the code in just breaks it for end users)

They raise the default version pretty quickly, it's not a huge issue.

Edit: I can't read page numbers and have no idea how to add a quote so this is for the last page (Y)

Never really expected Firefox to fall behind IE11 and Chrome - it seems that it will be soon supported properly - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=932513

Just covered the story about Tracking Protection in 42, it's a bit odd that it wasn't enabled in FF41b9? (which is what I have) or is it behind a flag?

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't surprise me, it's incompatible with the XUL deprecation plan (That is, themes wouldn't work with a HTML based interface unless they do really odd stuff), and they're a cause of end user issues (misplaced UI elements when upgrading) and break fairly constantly and require a fair bit of upkeep (Since they're directly dependent on the XUL layout of the main Firefox UI, move an element and themes break)

That's where I got it but I wanted to know if it had issues I should be wary about.

Nah, it's as official as you're going to get, it's just that there were "partner" issues preventing it being put on the site currently.

The Adobe DRM module works with it, Netflix runs fine, etc. Only issues you'll hit are due to the deprecation of every plugin other than Flash (No Silverlight, Java, Unity player, etc.)

Is Mozilla planning on giving us the title bar color again now in Windows 10 th2? Gray color looks so bad.

You can add it yourself.

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul")
/*
 ****** Apply Win10 Accent Colour
 */
@-moz-document url(chrome://browser/content/browser.xul) {
  @media (-moz-os-version: windows-win10) {
    #main-window:not([customizing]){
      -moz-appearance: -moz-win-glass !important;
      background-color: transparent !important;
    }
  }
}

Insert this code in the "userChrome.css" file located in the "chrome" folder for your profile and the title bar will take the accent colour of your theme.

You can add it yourself.

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul")
/*
 ****** Apply Win10 Accent Colour
 */
@-moz-document url(chrome://browser/content/browser.xul) {
  @media (-moz-os-version: windows-win10) {
    #main-window:not([customizing]){
      -moz-appearance: -moz-win-glass !important;
      background-color: transparent !important;
    }
  }
}

Insert this code in the "userChrome.css" file located in the "chrome" folder for your profile and the title bar will take the accent colour of your theme.

Not working the way it should, buttons look ugly when mouse is over them. Chrome has this and looks cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Because something like 0.001% of users actually used it, and it was never implemented really well (It was given up on a few years ago, I think some devs are planning on splitting it out into an addon)