Meet the browser: Firefox Next

bogas04
Frylock86

Are we slim yet? No, once you drop legacy support and build for the future and not the past, then you will be slim.

bogas04

Are we slim yet? No, once you drop legacy support and build for the future and not the past, then you will be slim.

Its for tracking memory usage , and dropping support for Xp (which aint legacy , it is still in use) would come in "are we modern yet" rather :p

Frylock86

Its for tracking memory usage , and dropping support for Xp (which aint legacy , it is still in use) would come in "are we modern yet" rather :p

XP is all but. Look what dropping support for XP did to IE ;)

bogas04

XP is all but. Look what dropping support for XP did to IE ;)

and what did it do to IE ... ?

Frylock86

A fast, slim browser. :)

SakuraKira

A thread for 6.0... Isn't this getting a bit carried away?

Grinch

A thread for 6.0... Isn't this getting a bit carried away?

I would agree if there wasn't already a build for 6.0 on Mozilla's FTP.

DeadEndAccount

Nice to see that once again Firefox is becoming primarily a Windows browser with Mac and Linux users supported by accident rather than actually deliberately designing for the platform. Promises of OpenGL accelerated layers in Firefox 5.0 and low and behold they've failed to deliver - why aren't I surprised.

Samurizer

Feel free to name ONE aspect of IE9 that is slimmer than Fx4.

Nice to see that once again Firefox is becoming primarily a Windows browser with Mac and Linux users supported by accident rather than actually deliberately designing for the platform. Promises of OpenGL accelerated layers in Firefox 5.0 and low and behold they've failed to deliver - why aren't I surprised.

I don't know about OS X, but to be honest, it's hard to deliberately design GPU acceleration for a platform (Linux) with such a high level of fragmentation and crappy graphics drivers.

bogas04

erm , yeah ie9 is faster coz of dropping support for xp and not coz of some chakra (or dead code elimination :shiftyninja: ) , so yeah xp is the one to blame :)

attachment.cgi?id=525501

Some new stuff regrading the branches :D

• Like 2
alisalem

Firefox is coming to getcha, Chrome! :D

• Like 1
DeadEndAccount
I don't know about OS X, but to be honest, it's hard to deliberately design GPU acceleration for a platform (Linux) with such a high level of fragmentation and crappy graphics drivers.

True, but there is no excuse when it comes to Mac OS X - a single OpenGL library to target at and even then they (Firefox developers) couldn't do it right.

amon91

erm , yeah ie9 is faster coz of dropping support for xp and not coz of some chakra (or dead code elimination :shiftyninja: ) , so yeah xp is the one to blame :)

attachment.cgi?id=525501

Some new stuff regrading the branches :D

They even made the nightly/beta builds look good. :wub: Does it work with channels now, just like Chrome?

• Like 1
vajlent

They even made the nightly/beta builds look good. :wub: Does it work with channels now, just like Chrome?

Mine haven't changed like that yet? :s

bogas04

Mine haven't changed like that yet? :s

those are just mockups posted by stephen in bug 649480

clearly it has new navbar buttons , and different navbar background colours , and new site identification labels.

Frylock86

Maybe not XP so much, but supporting 2K is silly. There's dead code right there. XP won't be far behind.

But te new builds look nice :D

Samurizer

Firefox is coming to getcha, Chrome! :D

Until they offer extensions updates for non-stable releases and fix their terrible project management at AMO, no.

bogas04

Maybe not XP so much, but supporting 2K is silly. There's dead code right there. XP won't be far behind.

But te new builds look nice :D

yeah they do! :D

but , 2k is legacy , i agree :p but not xp , people with 512mb ram are still out there , even i was 2 years back i guess, xp does need a faster browser , which microsoft fails to provide , not even that , 64bit versions of windows too need a fast browser which again microsoft fails to provide , i find them really incompetent , they created a browser for mere 2 versions of windows :|

Until they offer extensions updates for non-stable releases and fix their terrible project management at AMO, no.

extension compatibility will be bumped automatically with newer releases UNLESS they are found incompatible with certain feature , thats what i heard , so i dont think that will be a problem , and give addon makers some time, firefox 4.0 isn't even 1 month old

btw i have filed this bug , anyone interested to help me voice it to developers?

Frylock86

True, but x64 browsers ATM, aren't ready for primetime yet. They're kinda like Office x64, nice to have, but not really needed by 99.9% of users.

That said, I hope IE10 x64 has the new JS engine IE9 x86 has.

The_Decryptor

As I said in the last thread, Firefox supports OpenGL layers on OS X and has since last year (it's enabled by default in Firefox 4 and 5!)

They explicitly don't support it on 10.5 due to bugs in the underlying OS, those bugs have been fixed with 10.6(.2) though.

Samurizer

extension compatibility will be bumped automatically with newer releases UNLESS they are found incompatible with certain feature , thats what i heard , so i dont think that will be a problem

Right, so instead of a month for good add-ons to get approved, it'll take a month for bugged add-ons that crash the browser and break features to get blacklisted.

Personally I don't see that as an improvement, but meh.

and give addon makers some time, firefox 4.0 isn't even 1 month old

I'm sorry, but I'm not interested in empathizing with Mozilla and/or add-on developers. If it can't be ensured that the extensions I want be ready to use when the browser goes stable, that counts as a black mark against the product as far as I'm concerned.

Besides, the current problem isn't with add-on devs, it's mostly with Mozilla's horrible project management. Four weeks (and more) for an add-on to make it through the review queue? That's bloody ridiculous.

In the case of non-stable builds: again, no automatic extension updates unless specifically marked as compatible with Nightly/Aurora/Beta/whatever, which most extensions aren't. Until this changes, Firefox pre-release channels aren't for me.

OuchOfDeath

Dropping XP support had nothing to do with making it fast or slim. The only reason why IE9 is good now is because Microsoft coded it properly. Microsoft could have easily released a version of the browser for XP, (though it wouldn't use the specific GPU accell APIs Microsoft touts since they're not there in XP), and it would be just as slim and fast as it is on Vista/7. Your code does not magically become better when you "remove support" for an earlier OS version. Good code is good code no matter where it runs, and XP is very well capable of running any program out there.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By indospot
      Mozilla is worried about being collateral damage in Google's antitrust case
      by João Carrasqueira

Yesterday, the United States Department of Justice filed an antitrust lawsuit against Google, accusing the search giant of monopolistic practices to maintain its dominant position in the search market. Among the practices brought up in the case is the fact that Google pays to be in the default search engine on some devices and web browsers, such as Mozilla Firefox.

In response to the lawsuit, Mozilla has issued a statement regarding the accusations. The blog post opens by saying that Mozilla believes that scrutiny of these practices is important in order to "build a better internet".

However, the organization follows up by bringing up the search agreement between Google and Mozilla, which allows Google to be the default search engine in Firefox. Mozilla says it's one of the organizations that's best positioned to drive competition on the web, and that the lawsuit shouldn't cause collateral damage to smaller and independent companies like Mozilla.

Back in August, Mozilla and Google reportedly renewed their search agreement deal, which ZDNet estimated to be worth between $400 million and $450 million. This was shortly after Mozilla announced it would be laying off 250 employees as part of corporate restructuring, so it's apparent that Mozilla heavily relies on funding from this search agreement.

Mozilla says it's still looking into the details of the lawsuit, and it will share updates on the case as more information comes. It'll be interesting to see if and how the lawsuit will be able to protect the interests of smaller organizations like Mozilla while putting a stop to Google's practices.

• By zikalify
      Firefox 82 comes with a better picture-in-picture experience
      by Paul Hill

Mozilla has begun rolling out Firefox 82 for users on the desktop. This update doesn’t come with very noticeable changes but does speed up the browser and includes a refined picture-in-picture experience that makes the feature easier to find for new users.

Instead of the blue, nondescript, picture-in-picture button that appeared at the side of videos before, Firefox now shows a transparent grey box on the right-hand side of the video in the lower half that explains what the button is and what it does. After the user has had a chance to read the button it will be displayed as a circular button with the picture-in-picture icon. Even when it has shrunk to this form, the icon is larger than before making it easier to understand what it does.

For users on Mac, picture-in-picture can be enabled by pressing Option + Command + Shift + Right bracket. This new command even works before the video starts so you don’t have to spend time waiting for the video to load before switching tabs. Firefox on Windows now uses DirectComposition for hardware decoded video which improves CPU and GPU usage while watching videos and improves battery life.

Another big improvement in this update is the general speed of Firefox. According to Mozilla’s release notes, websites that use a flexbox-based layout load 20% faster than before, restoring a session is 17% quicker, and opening new browser windows in Windows is 10% faster. Mozilla’s WebRender has continued to roll out to more Windows users which will make browsing even faster for that group of people.

Existing Firefox users on Windows and Mac should be automatically updated while Linux users will need to wait until their distribution maintainer pushes the latest packages. New users can go directly to the Firefox website and grab the latest software.

• By Copernic
      Firefox 82.0
      by Razvan Serea

Firefox is a fast, full-featured Web browser. It offers great security, privacy, and protection against viruses, spyware, malware, and it can also easily block pop-up windows. The key features that have made Firefox so popular are the simple and effective UI, browser speed and strong security capabilities.

Firefox has complete features for browsing the Internet. It is very reliable and flexible due to its implemented security features, along with customization options. Firefox includes pop-up blocking, tab-browsing, integrated Google search, simplified privacy controls, a streamlined browser window that shows you more of the page than any other browser and a number of additional features that work with you to help you get the most out of your time online.

What's new in Firefox 82.0:

With this release, Firefox introduces a number of improvements that make watching videos more delightful the Picture-In-Picture button has a new look and position, making it easier for you to find and use the feature. Picture-In-Picture now has a keyboard shortcut for Mac users (Option + Command + Shift + Right bracket) that works before you start playing the video. For Windows users, Firefox now uses DirectComposition for hardware decoded video, which will improve CPU and GPU usage during video playback, improving battery life. Firefox is faster than ever with improved performance on both page loads and start up time: Websites that use flexbox-based layouts load 20% faster than before; Restoring a session is 17% quicker, meaning you can more quickly pick up where you left off; For Windows users, opening new windows got quicker by 10%. You can now explore new articles when you save a webpage to Pocket from the Firefox toolbar. WebRender continues to roll out to more Firefox users on Windows. Fixed:

Screen reader features which report paragraphs now correctly report paragraphs in Firefox instead of lines. Various security fixes Changed:

Credit card auto-fill is now more accessible with the card type, and the card number in the card editor now available to screen readers. Printing dialog errors for invalid form entries are now reported to screen readers. Developer:

Developer Information MediaSession API has been enabled by default which allows web authors to provide custom behaviors for standard media playback interactions, giving them more options than ever. DevTools now shows server side events in the Network panel. This allows a server to send new data to a web page at any time allowing developers to see events they previously couldn't and help with lower-level troubleshooting. Download: Firefox 82.0 for Windows | Firefox 64-bit | ~50.0 MB (Freeware)
      Download: Firefox 82.0 for Linux | 64-bit | ~70.0 MB
      Download: Firefox 82.0 for MacOS | 73.1 MB
      View: Firefox Home Page | Release Notes

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Abhay V
      Microsoft releases Flight Simulator patch version 1.9.5.0 with a bunch of fixes
      by Abhay Venkatesh

As promised last week, Microsoft has released a new patch for Flight Simulator, bringing version 1.9.5.0 to all users. Today’s update contains a bunch of fixes and improvements to various areas such as the UI, airports, planes, and more. The changelog also notes that multiplayer has been deactivated in the Japan discovery flight.

While the patch notes are short – in comparison to earlier patches –, the download from the Store is a 569MB package, with the in-game content download size reaching 2.4GB. The company is quick to add that these notes do not include “every single item that was updated”. Regardless, fixes for the VFR screen causing game crashes and issues in the Avionics screens will be welcome additions for those who have been experiencing them. There are other fixes for auto-generated scenery.

Here is the complete list of fixes in patch version 1.9.5.0:

Interestingly, the company has not listed if the ‘Press any key to start’ prompt has been removed from the game. The firm listed this ‘Top wishes’ item as fixed and slated for release in the fourth update, which is what today’s patch is. Another item in the latest Feedback Snapshot denoted as fixed in ‘Update 4’ is the issue with the left engine failing to start on the A320, which also isn’t present in the release notes.

In addition to the patch notes, the company has also updated the list of known issues and the possible workarounds. These include issues with various aircraft, airports, weather, and more. Users can head here to read through all the known issues and workarounds.

• By Abhay V
      Apple releases watchOS 7.0.2 with fixes for battery drain issue and ECG app availability
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Apple released iOS 14, iPadOS 14, watchOS 7, and tvOS 14 to supported devices in September, earlier than it usually would have, due to the pandemic and delays in announcing the iPhone line-up for this year. The updates brought significant changes for Apple’s offerings, including a design overhaul to the home screen in iOS that introduced an App Library for all apps, new widgets and much more. watchOS 7 was also a major release, finally bringing sleep tracking, support for third party watch faces, and more.

Just a week after the release, the first bug-fixing update for the OSes came on September 24 and brought fixes to the default apps issue on iOS and iPadOS. Today, Apple is releasing the second bug-fixing update for the Apple Watch OS, bumping up the software to watchOS 7.0.2. The release brings improvements to battery usage and a fix for the ECG app not showing up.

Here’s the complete changelog:

While the update itself is fairly minor, the improvements to battery drain and the ability to enable the ECG app for users in regions where the feature is supported will be a welcome addition. However, more fixes and features are on their way in watchOS 7.1, which is currently in beta.

Source: 9to5Mac