PSN Down

^ because people found a way to buy PSN stuff for free, which SHOULD be completely seperate from being able to log on and just play a game, but like mentioned before, sony is dumb.

Keep in mind, that's unconfirmed.

What I find strange about that rumor is today Sony came out and said that they have not "yet determined if the personal information or credit card numbers of users have been compromised". Why release that kind of statement if that rumor was true? It's pretty clear cut that people's personal information would not be touched in that situation.

^ because people found a way to buy PSN stuff for free, which SHOULD be completely seperate from being able to log on and just play a game, but like mentioned before, sony is dumb.

seriously, you don't remember it going down for almost a month and a half 2 years ago during xmas? i couldn't access my xbox live profile for almost three months cause of that stupid ish.

go away troll, this topic is about the PSN outage, not a comparision of you get what you pay for BS.

It was down for a week Xmas 2007. That's the only time it was down that wasn't due to scheduled maintenance. In 10 years. Pretty sure that's a win.

seriously, you don't remember it going down for almost a month and a half 2 years ago during xmas? i couldn't access my xbox live profile for almost three months cause of that stupid ish.

go away troll, this topic is about the PSN outage, not a comparision of you get what you pay for BS.

Wow.

A) Calm the hell down, I'm not trying to start a grudge match.

B) The fact that the last time you remember it being down was over two years ago only confirms my point.

C) Yes, making the observation that I haven't had downtime on my console and imagining what it would be like is still very much related to the PSN outage, I'm trying to relate to those who can't go online right now.

I'm sure it must be fun jumping the gun and calling someone a troll, but in all honesty, I can just end with "Yeah, this sucks, I feel bad for PSN users and hope they can get back online again". Because I'm honestly not trying to start any arguments, I just made an observation.

It was down for a week Xmas 2007. That's the only time it was down that wasn't due to scheduled maintenance. In 10 years. Pretty sure that's a win.

8 years. It's been going since November 2002.

Keep in mind, that's unconfirmed.

What I find strange about that rumor is today Sony came out and said that they have not "yet determined if the personal information or credit card numbers of users have been compromised". Why release that kind of statement if that rumor was true? It's pretty clear cut that people's personal information would not be touched in that situation.

Probably just because when it's a security related issue that needs investigating you'e going to look incredibly bad if you jump the gun then need to retract something you've earlier said. You have to be 100% certain on something when it relates to security.

Look at how wild the rumour and speculation has been so far, gaming outlets and "tipsters" can get away with being completely wrong, but I'm pretty sure if Sony were wrong, well, you can see the reception in here already and that's them keeping it simple.

8 years. It's been going since November 2002.

It was down in 04 for a day: http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/215500918_qKJXY-L-2.jpg

Probably just because when it's a security related issue that needs investigating you'e going to look incredibly bad if you jump the gun then need to retract something you've earlier said. You have to be 100% certain on something when it relates to security.

Look at how wild the rumour and speculation has been so far, gaming outlets and "tipsters" can get away with being completely wrong, but I'm pretty sure if Sony were wrong, well, you can see the reception in here already and that's them keeping it simple.

True, but it's good to keep in mind that most of the things floating around are rumors. Sony has been very tight lipped about all of this.

Yeah, with all due respect, I can't remember the last time XBL was down at all, much less down due to a hack.

In a different aspect, perhaps a slightly more positive one, perhaps this online downtime will give a lot of people some much-needed appreciation for offline single-player campaigns.

It was down a few years ago for Christmas. Neither system is perfect.

No online system is up 100%... Every online system is vulnerable to attack and/or failures. Worries me with all this upcoming "cloud" stuff. If people think this is bad, wait until you can't do any work for a week because the "cloud" is down.

Hopefully Sony get this fixed soon. :/

A month and a half? No access for three months? What? :rofl: Does this mean that when we reminisce over the great PSN Outage of 2011 in 2014 we'll say it was down for half a year? :laugh:

It was down for about a week or a little more, if I remember correctly. And during that time it worked sporadically. Microsoft clearly had crap planning for how many people were going to be utilizing Xbox Live. It was nice of them to give a XBLA game as compensation, but I don't think Sony needs to do the same since it's a free service. Maybe give PSN+ users a month of extra service, though, just for consumer goodwill.

Only bad thing about that is that you can't really take advantage of it. I was reading the agreement for PS+ and decided against it because basically, if you purchase something at a discount with your PS+ account, then you decide you don't want to pay for it any more and let it slip back to a free PSN account, you won't be able to access any of the content you bought with your PS+. So a free month of PS+ would give us just enough time to like it, maybe buy something, then lose access to it if we didn't want to continue paying for it. This for me is just one more reason NOT to get PS+, and to continue using the free subscription.

wow that sounds silly :unsure:

It was down in 04 for a day: http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/215500918_qKJXY-L-2.jpg

True, but it's good to keep in mind that most of the things floating around are rumors. Sony has been very tight lipped about all of this.

It was down many times for maintenance (max 24hrs I think) but only once unscheduled for ~week in Dec 2008 (IIRC)

True, XBL was down due to capacity problems though and not because it was hacked (and then taken offline).

wow that sounds silly :unsure:

It was down many times for maintenance (max 24hrs I think) but only once unscheduled for ~week in Dec 2008 (IIRC)

True, XBL was down due to capacity problems though and not because it was hacked (and then taken offline).

Who cares why it was down? Down is down.

As the end user, it's all the same. My point was that no service is perfect and to rag on Sony mercilessly and the praise Microsoft for their service is absurd.

A month and a half? No access for three months? What? :rofl: Does this mean that when we reminisce over the great PSN Outage of 2011 in 2014 we'll say it was down for half a year? :laugh:

It was down for about a week or a little more, if I remember correctly. And during that time it worked sporadically. Microsoft clearly had crap planning for how many people were going to be utilizing Xbox Live. It was nice of them to give a XBLA game as compensation, but I don't think Sony needs to do the same since it's a free service. Maybe give PSN+ users a month of extra service, though, just for consumer goodwill.

for me it wasn't. before anyone knew there was an outage happening i tried migrating my profile to my buddies xbox to play halo online, yeah big mistake. it never made it across and was gone from my xbox. i had no profile for about a month and a half because no matter what the profile wouldn't migrate to any xbox anymore, and spent 3 months with xbox live support trying to deal with it.

Wow.

A) Calm the hell down, I'm not trying to start a grudge match.

B) The fact that the last time you remember it being down was over two years ago only confirms my point.

C) Yes, making the observation that I haven't had downtime on my console and imagining what it would be like is still very much related to the PSN outage, I'm trying to relate to those who can't go online right now.

I'm sure it must be fun jumping the gun and calling someone a troll, but in all honesty, I can just end with "Yeah, this sucks, I feel bad for PSN users and hope they can get back online again". Because I'm honestly not trying to start any arguments, I just made an observation.

no it doesn't, you said it never goes down and it did (Y) and your observation is wrong cause xbl has gone down. so troll harder next time.

During the 2008 holiday season i didn't have a single problem getting on xbox live or playing games. My xbox was a launch xbox at the time and i've had my XBL since original beta for XBL.

You do get what you pay for though :)

for me it wasn't. before anyone knew there was an outage happening i tried migrating my profile to my buddies xbox to play halo online, yeah big mistake. it never made it across and was gone from my xbox. i had no profile for about a month and a half because no matter what the profile wouldn't migrate to any xbox anymore, and spent 3 months with xbox live support trying to deal with it.

no it doesn't, you said it never goes down and it did (Y) and your observation is wrong cause xbl has gone down. so troll harder next time.

You're the only one trolling right now as evidenced by the first portion of this post, in which you describe how your own experience of not being able to play on XBL for a very rare issue apparently meant that XBL was down for everyone for a month (which is what you implied in your previous post) even though it was only a week tops. Other than that its never been down in over 9 years of being live for anything unscheduled, and certainly has never been externally compromised, which is a worrying situation, on top of the mere fact that its down.

You're the only one trolling right now as evidenced by the first portion of this post, in which you describe how your own experience of not being able to play on XBL for a very rare issue apparently meant that XBL was down for everyone for a month (which is what you implied in your previous post) even though it was only a week tops. Other than that its never been down in over 9 years of being live for anything unscheduled, and certainly has never been externally compromised, which is a worrying situation, on top of the mere fact that its down.

this is the first time psn has been down like this too so what's your point? no one cares if you or someone else's opinion that xbl is perfect or better. this topic has nothing to do with that. so coming in and being "rofl psn is ghey, xbl is better it never goes down" is trolling.

this is the first time psn has been down like this too so what's your point? no one cares if you or someone else's opinion that xbl is perfect or better. this topic has nothing to do with that. so coming in and being "rofl psn is ghey, xbl is better it never goes down" is trolling.

Comparing two similar services that can have similar issues is not trolling. Spewing bull**** and acting like its fact is trolling.

And if I'm not mistaken the PSN has been down before for unscheduled issues. Not for significant periods of time, but it has, something which can't be said about XBL.

I like the PS3 and I have a PSN account. Its a fine service, but doesn't really hold much to XBL, which is why I don't mind paying for XBL year after year.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/31/unhappy-xbox-live-users-demand-compensation/

Xbox Live was down for everyone for just a little over a week, I know, I worked in the department at the time... it was hell. To say it wasn't is trolling, as you are denying pure fact.

ALL online services are capable of being taken down, hacked, or whatever. No service is safe, paid or free. To say one is better than the other is ignorant, as they are both great when not being messed with.

The sad part I think, is how everyone can't seem to understand what is actually happening. Nothing was hacked, there was a CFW that allowed some to log onto the "DEV" portion of PSN, where they could then enter any fake info and get free games, due to the Dev portion of the site not requiring authorization checks. To secure their sales, the property of companies that have put their games on the network, and to make sure no other breaches were possible, they shut down the entire network until they could make sure it was safe again. This could happen to microsoft, apple, google, anyone. They having having to rebuild the structure of PSN, so that users don't have access to the Dev side, and hopefully adding in more security to ensure that other information farming and attempts can not be fruitful.

So everyone can keep trolling about how they think some system is better than another, but I think people should try and take away something useful from this. This is what piracy can do. What a minority of kids can cause to an ecosystem.

The sad part I think, is how everyone can't seem to understand what is actually happening. Nothing was hacked, there was a CFW that allowed some to log onto the "DEV" portion of PSN, where they could then enter any fake info and get free games, due to the Dev portion of the site not requiring authorization checks. To secure their sales, the property of companies that have put their games on the network, and to make sure no other breaches were possible, they shut down the entire network until they could make sure it was safe again. This could happen to microsoft, apple, google, anyone.

The sad part is that you seem to be making out to be not a big deal just because it wasn't technically hacked. It seems like a pretty serious situation to me, about as serious as if it had been hacked.

And anything could happen to anyone. What matters down the road is who actually let something happen and in this case its Sony. Yet again they prove just how much they're a hardware company and not a software company. Not something to be taken lightly when it allows people to bypass security checks, especially when handling personal information.

Comparing two similar services that can have similar issues is not trolling. Spewing bull**** and acting like its fact is trolling.

And if I'm not mistaken the PSN has been down before for unscheduled issues. Not for significant periods of time, but it has, something which can't be said about XBL.

I like the PS3 and I have a PSN account. Its a fine service, but doesn't really hold much to XBL, which is why I don't mind paying for XBL year after year.

I don't remember the PS3 being down before for any unscheduled issues. If it was down, it was so brief that it didn't affect me.

yeah it is when what you say is not true. this topic is not a topic about comparing two services, it's about trying to figure out or discuss what is happening to one.

just go play your xbox, it's working, we know and don't care that you think it's better...

And anything could happen to anyone. What matters down the road is who actually let something happen and in this case its Sony. Yet again they prove just how much they're a hardware company and not a software company. Not something to be taken lightly when it allows people to bypass security checks, especially when handling personal information.

like security holes don't happen to a software company either...

The sad part I think, is how everyone can't seem to understand what is actually happening. Nothing was hacked, there was a CFW that allowed some to log onto the "DEV" portion of PSN, where they could then enter any fake info and get free games, due to the Dev portion of the site not requiring authorization checks. To secure their sales, the property of companies that have put their games on the network, and to make sure no other breaches were possible, they shut down the entire network until they could make sure it was safe again.

Unlikely, as they would have simply removed/blocked access to the "Dev" part for everybody until they fixed the issue. They would do this as it would only **** of the Devs, would result in no media spotlight, no news and no consumers would probably not even be aware of it.

Instead they have had to take down the whole network, suffer horrible PR and **** off a lot of gamers, most likely for a very good reason.

Unlikely, as they would have simply removed/blocked access to the "Dev" part for everybody until they fixed the issue. They would do this as it would only **** of the Devs, would result in no media spotlight, no news and no consumers would probably not even be aware of it.

Instead they have had to take down the whole network, suffer horrible PR and **** off a lot of gamers, most likely for a very good reason.

They have only suffered horrible PR to those who are uniformed or as this forum has already shown, unable to become educated even when plenty of information is there. The only people who are to blame for this are the minority of people who use CFW and try to get stuff for free. Of course, kids will continue to only see it in one way, with out factoring in the real world.

They have only suffered horrible PR to those who are uniformed or as this forum has already shown, unable to become educated even when plenty of information is there. The only people who are to blame for this are the minority of people who use CFW and try to get stuff for free. Of course, kids will continue to only see it in one way, with out factoring in the real world.

+1 what is sony suppose to sit there and let this continue while ****ing off alll their developers about how people are getting their stuff for free? piracy almost killed the psp, i'm sure sony has learned their lesson once already.